What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I"m always on the lookout for new titles...what are you reading right now?
I'm currently reading:

An Anthology of Devotional Literature
Georgia Harkness: For Such a Time as This (biography)
Types in the Old Testament
On Writing (Stephen King)
The Way of the Cross (Mantle)
Don't Waste Your Life (Piper)
Selected Sermons, Prayer, and Devotions (John Henry Newman)

5.gif

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read constantly (I not only love it, I also do book reviewing on a regular basis for several columns and various publications and web sites), so it's hard to remember everything, and since I write for both Christian and secular sites, I read both kinds of books, too.

Off the top of my head, most recently finished A Land of Sheltered Promise (J. Fitzpatrick), Offsides (E. E. Esckilsen),Broken for You (S. Kallos), The Serpent In the Crown (E. Peters), Riverwalking: Reflections on Moving Water (K. D. Moore), Somewhere In Ireland, a Village Is Missing an Idiot (D. Feherty), Sun In Glory (edited by M. Lackey), Against the Tide (J. Ringo), True Courage (D. Henderson)and The Clicking of Cuthbert (P.G. Wodehouse). Currently working through Beth Moore's The Patriarchs and several Louis Bromfield books.

There's a pile of books I need to read and review next to my desk, so I'll be back with more suggestions later. Probably much later <sigh> since I also have a number of assignments that need to be finished and off my desk....

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Shadows Over Baker Street -- an anthology of stories in which Sherlock Holmes meets the denizens of Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos.

The New Testament in Wyclif's original Middle English

The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman. Actually, this is a reread with highlighter and post-it tabs at hand.

Go ahead, say it. I won't be offended. I'm weird.

And happy that way.:snoopy:

Homesar Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Currently, I'm reading Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin series out loud to my wife. We're now in novel number four: The Mauritius Command. Though O'Brien wrote 20 of them, we're already mourning that there's going to be an end to them.

O'Brien died after completing about a third of what was to be the final novel in the series. It was posthumously published as 21: The Final Voyage of Jack Aubrey. The final 13 or so pages are only in manuscript -- that is, in O'Brien's crabbed and spikey handwriting.

If I'm not diverting this thread too much, I'll also offer the following as things I reread constantly:

Rex Stout's Nero Wolf novels
Ellis Peters Brother Cadfael novels
Tolkien's Hobbit and Ring Trilogy
Lewis' "Space Trilogy" and the Narnia books
Most everything by Christie and P. D. James
In those rarer and rarer spells when the sci-fi bug bites, I'll reread the early Heinlein, Clark, and Asimov.

Homesar

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
callalily61 said:
Shadows Over Baker Street -- an anthology of stories in which Sherlock Holmes meets the denizens of Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos.

The New Testament in Wyclif's original Middle English

The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman. Actually, this is a reread with highlighter and post-it tabs at hand.

Go ahead, say it. I won't be offended. I'm weird.

And happy that way.:snoopy:

Not weird to me...I really enjoy the older writings, archaic language and all. And Lukeman's book is one of the best writing books out there!

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas by Elaine Pagels. Highly recommended.

I'm also reading numerous books on publishing and book marketing.

On top of my "read next" pile: Blood Storm by Colin Forbes and The Pagan Christ by Tom Harpur.

DrRita

Act One '08
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ritabetti.com
I don't read as many novels as I used to but I do enjoy reading scripts. I am currently reading some great books on scriptwriting:

Story by Robert McKee
Making a Good Writer Great by Linda Seger

I'm also reading 1 Samuel and my daily page from My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers, my favorite devotional

Aside from at least one movie (I know, but if I'm going to write them I need to watch them) and the above reading, I've no time for much else except my writing goals and other such chores that one has to do to keep from living like a pig.

Puddle Jumper

I just got a couple of novels that I'm looking forward to reading. They're by the same author who is a trial lawyer as well as a sought after speaker. Christian novels. The author's name is Randy Singer. The novels I have are "Directed Verdict" and "Self Incrimination."

Here's what the backs of the novels say...

For "Directed Verdict..."

A daring courtroom drama with far-reaching international implications.

In Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, two American missionaries, a husband-and-wife team, are targeted by the infamous religious police - the Muttawa. The man is tortured and killed; the woman is arrested on trumped-up charges before being deported to the United States. There she meets a crusading young lawyer named Brad Carson.

Compelled by the injustice of her plight, Brad files an unprecendented civil rights suit against Saudi Arabia and the ruthless head of the Muttawa. But the suit unleashes powerful forces that will stop at nothing to vindicate the Arabian kingdom. Witnesses are intimidated and some disappear, jurors are bribed, and an unidentified member of Brad's own team threatens to sabotage the case.

Can on man stand up to the darkest forces of a nation?

As Brad navigates a maze of treachery and deception, he must gamble his case, his career, and the lives of those he loves - including brilliant co-counsel Leslie Conners - on the ability of his team to bring justice to one family, challenge the religious intolerance of a nationj, and alter the course of international law.

For "Self-Incrimination..."

When murder is the only option...

Tara Bannister's abusive stepfather finally pushed her too far. To save herself she had to kill him. Or did she? As Tara's self-defense claim crumbles, attorney Leslie Conners must overcome more tahn first-trial jitters to mount a credible defense. Leslie must save Tara's life... against her client's will.

Can a lawyer save a client from herself?

Defense attorneys expect to catch their clients lying. It's part of the game. But nothing in law school prepared Leslie for this. Tara's confession doesn't add up, and the reason may be more shocking than the crime itself.

In the midst of this taxing case, Leslie's wedding plans to law partner Brad Carson are interrupted by devastating news: she suffers from a rare heart condition. Does she dare tell Brad? Before the final gavel falls, Leslie must confront the truth about herself and her mysterious client, or the darkness of the past will swallow them both.

(That second looks more interesting to me.)

HoosierCowgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Last week I read "Jesus" by Walt Wangerin; and "Grace at Bender Springs" by Vinita Hampton Wright. This week I'm reading "Paul" by WW; "Landon Snow" by Randy Mortenson to DS1 and "Christy" (a kid's version) to DD. I also picked up "Ain't No Valley" by Sharon Ewell Foster. I might not be able to read as much this week with teh kids on Spring Break. Or I might end up reading more out loud to them, which they enjoy.

Happy reading, everybody!

ysic
ann

InspiredWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Great Books!

I have recently read and would recommend:

No Small Miracles by Chaplain Norris Burkes. I reviewed it here: www.writers-block.info.

90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper with Cecil Murphey. Review to be posted on 4/15/06

Conquering the Time Factor by Julie-Allyson Ieron. Review to be posted on 4/15/06

Eventide by Cindy Martinusen

Dreaming in Black & White by Laura Jensen Walker

Dreaming in Technicolor by Laura Jensen Walker

I am also reading several books on writing book proposals.

Thanks for asking, I love to recommend great books!

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Now reading "The Witness" by Dee Henderson, plus 2 books for my intro to theology course. One is "Systematic Theology" by Wayne Grudem, who has actually made the textbook very readable.

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Delectable Mountains, by Earlene Fowler. It's a murder mystery in a series about Benni Harper, a cowgirl-turned-folk-art-museum-curator and the whole series does a fabulous job of twining the murder mystery story with Christian life lessons. If you haven't read any of them, check them out!

HoosierCowgirl

Registered
Reaction score
WWJD

All the moms in Bible study received a copy of In His Steps, the "What Would Jesus Do" book. Originally written in 1897. Updated to modern times, which reads a little clunky but thought-provoking over all. Written by Charles Sheldon.

I keep picturing this as a movie set in the 1930s, sort of like "It's a Wonderful LIfe" but more theologically sound ;)

Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.