Pills or injection children need everyday to stay alive?

miles

agent at The Knight Agency
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knightagency.net
My MC is being held captive and his stepdaughter needs medicine to stay alive. If he doesn't make it out, she will die. Anyone know a disease or disorder that would work for this?

The paragraph would go something like this:

He glanced at the clock on the wall: almost four. His stepdaughter Anna would be home from school any second and she'd need her INSERT DISEASE HERE injection/pills by six. If she had a INSERT PROBLEM HERE attack, she'd die within minutes.

This is flexible--it's just a way to add urgency to the opening scene.

Is there anything that fits?

Thanks!

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Type I diabetes might - Meals are likely to be irregular. Her blood sugar could get dangerously low and result in a diabetic coma, and when they *do* feed her, she'd need an injection of insulin.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Diabetes may require insulin. Asthmatics may also take a preventive medicine or risk an asthma attack that, without an inhaler, could kill them.

Maryn, who read a book which used a hostage's asthma most effectively

Hettie

Once and future Queen......
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking too!!!

Unless you want it to be seasonal so the kid would not be used to doing it on his/her own.

Then you could do severe asthma with the kid needing inhaler, breathing treatment and steriods every few hours.

Hettie

Registered
Reaction score
Must have been typing slow. Maryn beat me to it!

I have not read a book about this, we live this life at my house from August to May.

So, it is possible. Good luck, let us know what you decide!!!!

miles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
knightagency.net
Unless you want it to be seasonal so the kid would not be used to doing it on his/her own.

Then you could do severe asthma with the kid needing inhaler, breathing treatment and steroids every few hours.

Asthma sounds like it might work. So, with diabetes, kids inject themselves? I want it to be necessary that the father gets back or the girl might die. If it's something the girl could do to herself, it wouldn't work too well unless he just picked up a prescription and had it in his car.

So, with seasonal asthma, is the time of year its serious the same for everyone?

Does this work:

He glanced at the clock on the wall: almost four. His stepdaughter Anna would be home from school any second and she'd need her asthma injection by six. She'd had two attacks in the past week, a result of the warmer weather. If she had another without him around to administer the steroids, she could die within minutes.

Thanks!

Hettie

Registered
Reaction score
Ok- the warmer weather- illness could be caused by seasonal allergies and cause respiratory issues...

colder weather- respiratory issues caused by the common cold, being around sick kids at daycare would increase chances of issues exponentially-

None of the meds we give the kids are injections.

Yes, a four-year-old would not be able to do this on her own.

Need a breathing treatment with machine ever 4 hours to stop the bronchial airway from closing. The meds are usually on-hand, but do expire if not used with-in a certian amount of time.

He glanced at the clock on the wall: almost four. His stepdaughter Anna would be home from school [daycare] any second and she'd need her [breathing treatment by six]. She'd had two [asthma] attacks in the past week, a result of the warmer weather [??]. If she had another without him around to administer the [treatment and the] steroids, she could die within minutes.

However if she is that far gone, she should not be in daycare.... unless it is a special daycare for kids with health issues.

Any other questions, cuz this is my thang???????

Last edited:

miles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
knightagency.net
Thanks Hettie!

I think that will work. I'll let you know if something else comes up later.:)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure you have this covered in other ways, but when a disease/illness is this life-threatening, I'd find it a suspension of disbelief that the kid is relying only on the ONE parent/guardian to get her the medicine.

Older kids, ones that are okay to be left alone after school, should also know how to handle it themselves if it's so essential.

A four-year old, for instance, I would be surprised to read goes home by herself (even if the father is SUPPOSED to be there) and then there's no babysitter/neighbor around who doesn't know how to administer the medicine.

Just something to think about, but like I said, I'm sure you have it covered.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Asthma can flare up during stressful situations regardless of the weather, so that might be a good option.

Some type of heart condition like palpitations or tachycardia might work. In a stressful situation it could become severe enough to have a heart attack from what I've read.

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwtabithatodd.wordpress.com
That's the first thing to mind - diabetes\insulin injections. There's also epilepsy (what's referred to as clonic tonics or grand mals), heparin pills for blood thinning due to cardiac conditions such as arrhythmia, myocardial disease, ventricular palpitations, valve replacement. Inhalers for cystic fibrosis, asthma (pills too called "boosts"), transplant patients who take meds for the rest of their lives to prevent organ rejections...