Writing goal:seems so unreal at times

writersliving

Registered
Reaction score
:Hammer:
Sometimes me being a writer seem so unreal. I know it can be possible. but writers like terri mcmillian is so big. It feel like I can never be like her, but I guess all her life she wasn't like that neither. I guess It feel like that because I'm 23ys old to. and lots of people think I can never get to where she's at in life. but I try to still think nobody was born a writer. So I could do it. just still seem so far ahead!

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
We all feel like that some days. (Except for publish authors - they wonder if their talents are dying...*grins wickedly*)
Keep on trying, and you'll get where you want to go. Nobody's born published!

Derek Russia

I know how it feels... I don't think I'm good enough to get published either. I get too afraid of negative comments and rejection to even think about sending a manuscript to a publisher. On a positive note, though, you're still 23 and I'm still 13, so I guess we both have plenty of time to hone our writing skills. As many published writers say (well, I think they do), if you're dedicated enough and serious about your work, anyone can get published.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Hang in there, and keep practicing your craft. If the goal of a big published novel seems too daunting, you might want to get there by setting some smaller goals and working your way up. There are many areas where it can be easier to get published than writing a whole book. Getting something done there, even if it doesn't get the attention of editors for books, is at least a way to practice your writing and improve.

The first level is nonpaying markets. For example, fanzines and fan websites. These don't pay any money, but you will at least need to write something that is long enough to be an article and that will please the editor putting the website together. If you're really lucky, you may write something that gets turned into an anonymous Internet forward. This isn't going to help your writing career, but it can be a real ego boost.

There are also websites that are technically paying markets, but pay very little. Associated Content is one that is talked about pretty often, and pays maybe $30 per article if you're lucky. Sure, that's not likely to be enough to live on, and it's nowhere near what you would make if you moved up the scale. But it's easier to get accepted there.

Next up the scale is magazines. Many of them buy freelance articles for several hundred or even a thousand dollars (Come to think of it, that's probably more than your average PublishAmerica book earns). Some people even work full time at writing freelance articles. An article may be under 2,000 words, much easier to write than a full book. They also pay real money, and will get respect from agents and editors if you are looking to sell your book. So if you want some practice at real, professional writing, but aren't sure if you can commit the time to writing a whole book, try a few magazine articles.

So if you're feeling like your goal is too big, you might want to break it down into steps to build your writing career. Such as maybe "I'll write a few articles for fan sites to build my confidance and practice writing something short. Then I'll see if I can turn pro by selling articles to paying websites or magazines. Once I feel certain I can write, I'll sit down and write a book."

Good luck.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Baby steps. Little, bitty baby steps. You'll get there. And I feel the same as you do a lot of the time.

WannabeWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly!

Yes. Take baby steps. Each day, do just a little bit of writing a day, then feel proud you're a step closer. :)

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
I'm not published in fiction yet, but here are my suggestions anyway, for what they're worth:
1. Don't give up. You'll surely not reach your goal if you do.
2. Find ways to improve your storytelling and writing skills. When I find a book I think is superb, I study it -- examine how the author set up the story by identifying the conflicts, see how he/she wove in the characterization, and so on. Rare is the person who writes publishable stories on their first try.
3. Read how-to books that appeal to you, and/or take classes or workshops when possible. I'll be attending Viable Paradise this fall, and I took a Writer's Digest course online. Read the Learn Writing with Uncle Jim thread in the Novel Writing forum. Follow Jim's advice.
4. Find and join a critique group to get constructive feedback on your writing. Crit groups have helped me see what I'm doing wrong so I can fix it -- and I learn more about writing in the process. My stories are much stronger for having listened with an open mind.
5. Wait -- I forgot one: have fun! Write stuff that you want to write, not just what you think will sell or is "hot."

Good luck! Keep writing. Write write write.

Last edited: