My Editor's Go-To Girl

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I am in the writing stable of a trade pub with a relatively small market, and get one or two assignments every other month with them. This Wednesday morning I woke up to a desperate email in my inbox. Apparently another writer had some personal issues and did not complete an article on time. 600-800 words, two interviewees, could I pretty please get it to her no later than Sunday. I got both interviews done THAT day, wrote the article and edited yesterday, and did a final polish and sent it off this morning. I also pitched the addition of a sidebar, got it approved, wrote it, and turned it in.

I'm feeling like some pretty hot stuff this morning, even if the pay is minuscule and the recognition nil. ;)

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you! I know from experience that if you solve an editor's problem/headache, etc., the karma will go right into your account.

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
Good for you! My husband is in that position with a local mag--whenever someone flakes, they turn to him. He's getting more and more assignments from them because of it. It pays to be reliable!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It very much does pay to be reliable. I am also the only person she works with who actually sends HER ideas, and the only one who goes out and finds new contacts on my own when hers fizzle out or refuse to return my phone calls.

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
WOW! Congratulations!! :)

With work like that, I'm sure you'll get good work (with great pay & more recognition) elsewhere too soon!!

I wish I could be as professional & reliable yet!! (any tips? :))

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Wildscribe,
Just a quick congratulations! That's always a good feeling!

Andreya, May I? (offer advice?) Professional and reliable is the easy part. The craft must be learned, talent is innate...but professional and reliable is just a matter of sticking to your word, turning in the work when you say you will, and turning in the best work you can every time. :) Do that, and if you have the first two (craft and talent), you'll be in high demand in no time, just like WildScribe.

At least, that's my two cents. :)

Nancy-Save an editor's butt and it's not just karma going into your account. ;) Even if the pay is "miniscule," it's spendable. LOL
Dawn

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
lol CatMuse, thanks! :)

of course you are welcome to give advice & suggestions!

I think there may be some craft & talent (or so I've been told) trick is making it reliable...
trouble is probably I've chosen a slightly controversial & 'difficult' topic/subject area (that also means a lot to me), & even if I know very little about it all I seem to know more than a lot of others, & still not 'everything' - some things still seem 'murky' & it seems difficult to write without a clear 'overall picture'.. (with all the gaps etc)
not sure exactly what angles to present in interviews with some of the 'key players' etc.. & what to publish & what not (so they would co-operate lol) diplomacy may be needed & I'm not particularly diplomatic by astrological signs..
also, I've been a terrible procrastinator since primary school, soo.. hm?
yup, being reliable & IN time is most definitely a challenge!! :)
I admire everyone innately capable of it!!

/& maybe I need to google/search for articles on how to beat procrastination, anxiety, frazzleness & such?;)/

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
I'm a horrible procrastinator myself, but I try not to let any editors see it! I usually set my self a personal deadline a few days ahead of what I've been assigned, with the goal of turning in the project early. Then if I falter, I'm only breaking my own deadline, not the real one.

I also got some good advice from can't remember where...I'll see if I can track don't the original article. But it was something like making a to do list and working from the bottom up. I think the idea was that, sure, you're still avoiding doing something big, but you're avoid it by doing a bunch of little stuff instead. Kinda of like cleaning the house when you really ought to be writing a query...at least something is getting done.

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Stldenise, thank you! :)

I do To-do lists, trouble is the To-do's are scattered everywhere (on the journal/morning pages, in various folders or notebooks depending on projects or topics etc)

I had a 'master binder' when I was working at a school (& even then it was difficult to keep track of it all in it..)

I like your idea of actually getting stuff done while procrastinating, as this is how my mind works too.. (I always try to avoid something even more unpleasant :))
Do post a link or write more!!
/as I sometimes end up cleaning the house too.. :D/

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
LOL Denise! I can so relate. One sure fire way for me to get my house cleaned is to have an article I need to write. On the other hand, one sure fire way for me to get an article written is to have a house that needs cleaning--it totally depends on my mood.

The thing is, Andreya, many, many freelancers (and editors) are natural procrastinators. But we DO get it done. :) And you do, too!