PDA

View Full Version : SF Basketball Team Name

DavidZahir
07-17-2009, 09:45 PM
The story I'm working on takes place in present-day San Francisco. For reasons of my own, I've changed the names of a few schools and other details. A minor point is that I need a name for a professional basketball team that is not the actual one (i.e. the Warriors).

I'm trying to make up my mind and would appreciate anyone else's input. For reasons pertaining to duplication, I not want to use any animal names, either real (Bears, Eagles) or imaginary (Griffins, Dragons) or even animal parts (Talons, Fangs, etc.) So far I've come up with...

The Tenderloins, for a rather disreputable area of the City.
The Pacifics, for the ocean that's right there.
The Cossacks, in honor of Russian Hill.
The Typhoons, for the hurricane-like storms native to the Pacific Ocean.
The Praetorians, on the conceit that SF has seven hills like Rome.
The Centurions, same justification.
The Pioneers, pretty much in the same vein as the Forty-Niners really.None of these seem to be in current use, at least not by anyone that is particularly well-known. So what do you folks think? What sounds best and/or is most believable? Said team will be a member of the NBA Developmental League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Development_League). A certain character has been a "star" with his university and finds (to his chagrin) that this seems like his best chance to continue in basketball (he'd hoped to be picked up by a "major" team).

And no, this is not a particularly central point in the story but I'd like to get the right feel.

Thanks in advance!!!! :)

alleycat
07-17-2009, 09:58 PM
The only ones on your list that I like are the Pacifics and the Pioneers.

Some additional ideas:
The Bouncers
The Breakers
The Schooners
The Captains or The Commodores
The Prospects (derived from prospectors)
The Toppers (as in Hilltoppers)
The Ringers
The Landmarks
The Drifters

Kitty Pryde
07-17-2009, 10:29 PM
There's no way in any possible universe that there would be a team called the Tenderloins, sorry. The area is awful, and the name means a cut of beef.

I like something like Bay City Wranglers. Or Earthquakes, but that's already a pro soccer team. You said no Dragons, but Dragons would be a really bitching name that acknowledges the major impact Chinese-Americans had in building the transcontinental railroad and San Fran itself.

The Hunters? After a slightly less disreputable neighborhood? The Presidio would make a good non-pluralized name (like the Utah Jazz). Ditto for "The Mission"--recognizing SF's history again.

(The Ringers is a terrible name for a sports team. It means someone entering a sports competition under false pretenses!)

Richard White
07-17-2009, 11:01 PM
You could use "Warriors"

Oh, sorry, that already was a fictional Basketball team in SF. ;)

alleycat
07-18-2009, 12:29 AM
I know you said you didn't want to use animals, real or imaginary, but I think Kitty really has something with her Dragons suggestion.

I'll add one more: The Inclines.

Shadow_Ferret
07-18-2009, 12:40 AM
Gold Rush came to mind, but I don't know if that's a real team or not.

Williebee
07-18-2009, 12:47 AM
The Pacifics is ok, but a little close to "Hey look! It's the Pacifists!"

San Francisco Fire sounds cool, but it does have that bad history. :)

How about San Francisco Gold?

Shakers? Bay Area Bombers?

alleycat
07-18-2009, 01:12 AM
(The Ringers is a terrible name for a sports team. It means someone entering a sports competition under false pretenses!)

I would like to claim I offered that one just as a joke, but I actually didn't even think about that.

In my own defense, it was getting near the end of my lunch hour and I was just typing the first names that came to mine. Plus a young lady was summoning me at the time . . .

BigWords
07-18-2009, 04:33 AM
The Nuggets.
The Rushers.
The Queens.

Think about what San Francisco is known for...

Oberon
07-18-2009, 06:14 AM
The Sourdoughs?

AnnieColleen
07-18-2009, 06:33 AM
And here I was wondering what kind of science-fictional basketball team you were writing about...

The Missions are already a minor-league baseball team. I like Pacifics or Typhoons -- they both rather lend themselves to goofy nicknames, but I think that tends to happen more with minor leagues. Could be another source of irritation for your character. Out of the other suggestions, Breakers, Schooners, Wranglers could all work.

bagels
07-18-2009, 08:13 AM

Hey, that was my suggestion too! My only concern here is that it is related to the 49ers ...

The Pacifics is ok, but a little close to "Hey look! It's the Pacifists!"

San Francisco Fire sounds cool, but it does have that bad history. :)

How about San Francisco Gold?

Shakers? Bay Area Bombers?

And this, alone, I think, eliminates the Pacifics.

If this is a fictional team, why not have it be a recently named team that acknowledges the Bay Area and Silicon Valley? There aren't many teams with technology-based names, so it would be easier to pick a name that is not similar to existing teams.

Cory Emberson
07-18-2009, 08:59 AM

The Gold Rush is the name of the 49ers cheerleaders. :-)

How about The Miners? The Fog?

Runaway Cable Cars? :-D

Cory Emberson
07-18-2009, 09:01 AM
And here I was wondering what kind of science-fictional basketball team you were writing about...

The Missions are already a minor-league baseball team. I like Pacifics or Typhoons -- they both rather lend themselves to goofy nicknames, but I think that tends to happen more with minor leagues. Could be another source of irritation for your character. Out of the other suggestions, Breakers, Schooners, Wranglers could all work.

The Tsunami(s)?

WriteKnight
07-18-2009, 06:11 PM
"Redwoods" - they're incredibly tall... and don't move at all.

"Breakers" - for the area's ocean beaches. (Ah, I see AlleyCats got that one - so yeah, that's strong) The "Bay to Breakers" run is VERY popular.

In acknowledgement of the Hispanic Culture;

"Padres" - for the Missions.

"Hidalgos" - Town Leaders, land holders, 'nobility'.

"Gapuchinos" - Direct descendents of the Spanish - those entitled to wear spurs.

"Acaldes" - Another high official - basically a judge, but also a Mayor.

"Lancers" - spanish soldiers. Though to be fair, I've named a fictional FOOTBALL team in Houston the Lancers - so I OWN IT!!! (not)

Looking at the list so far, I think "Breakers" is really strong. Good image, 'aggresive' and referrential to the area. It gets my vote.

DavidZahir
07-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Well, of those suggested so far I really like...

Redwoods (didn't find any team that uses this anywhere)
Schooners (that is Canadian football team)
Lancers (there are several HS teams that use this)

I don't want to have my fictional team confused with anyone, especially since they aren't really in the foreground of the story. That is one reason I'd rather avoid "Padres" or "Presidio" or even "Gold Rush."

alleycat
07-19-2009, 01:12 AM
I know you don't want it, but to me, Dragons is the best suggestion you've gotten. With Schooners a distant second.

Just my opinion.

DavidZahir
07-19-2009, 07:46 PM
There are three basketball teams in the backstory of what I'm writing. One is of a (fictional) Prep School and is called the Eagles (although that might change). Second is that of a (fictionalized) version of Stanford University called the Griffins. For those of you who don't know (I certainly didn't), this was the popular favorite to become that university's mascot until the sudden decision to use Cardinal instead (the color, not the bird oddly enough).

So perhaps you can see why I don't want another animal, especially a mythological one. Besides, the San Francisco Dragons were a real team.

Right now I'm leaning towards Redwoods, Schooners or Pioneers.

MattW
07-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Panhandlers

StephanieFox
07-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Pacifics? Nah. That means peaceful. So we'd have the "Fightin' Peacefuls."

How about The San Fransisco Necromancers? (LOL!)

j.s.cutler
07-20-2009, 03:44 AM
I like the Pioneers, that sounds like an NBA team. Frankly it's a better name than some of the newer ones (thunder?)

DavidZahir
07-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Pacifics? Nah. That means peaceful. So we'd have the "Fightin' Peacefuls."
Years ago, I was in an outdoor drama in New Philadelphia, Ohio. One day the people I was with drove by the local high school. The mascot was proudly displayed--and it looked like a Quaker Oats ad. Turns out their team was "The Fighting Quakers". Grown-ups kept trying to get the name changed but the students always balked.

True story. :D

bagels
07-21-2009, 08:54 PM
For what it's worth, out of those choices, Redwoods is my favorite (and reminds me most of that area of the country).

There are three basketball teams in the backstory of what I'm writing. One is of a (fictional) Prep School and is called the Eagles (although that might change). Second is that of a (fictionalized) version of Stanford University called the Griffins. For those of you who don't know (I certainly didn't), this was the popular favorite to become that university's mascot until the sudden decision to use Cardinal instead (the color, not the bird oddly enough).

So perhaps you can see why I don't want another animal, especially a mythological one. Besides, the San Francisco Dragons were a real team.

Right now I'm leaning towards Redwoods, Schooners or Pioneers.

WriteKnight
07-22-2009, 04:02 AM
There's always 'Rancheros' as well... another nod towards the early Spanish ranchers in the area.

DavidZahir
07-28-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm more and more leaning towards Pioneers.