How Do I Remove a Room Border?

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
We're painting the Girl's room and the people who had the house before us had a paper border around the top of the walls (magnolias). Reminds me of something my Mom did back in the 80s. Anyway, How do we get it off the wall so we can paint? Is there a special process? Can we just rip it off? What about any glue? None of us have ever done it before so we're not sure what to do.

Thanks.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
We use to soak them with a wet rag until the paper began to get soggy. I've always had a hell of a time removing borders and wallpaper. Oh soapy water is best. Use liquid dish soap.

Last edited:

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
It depends on the type of glue and how long it's been there. You can try getting it damp - spray water on it and use a plastic putty knife from the bottom to try and scrape it off. Just be careful not to gouge the wall too much.

If water doesn't work you can try getting it damp with white vinegar which usually loosens the glue. I think they also make a chemical to remove wallpaper glue but I don't know how much it costs.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I thought you were talking about a room border (boarder) in the sense of a person who isn't paying rent or something.

Brain and Angie have the solution to remove your border, and the only thing I'd add is to make sure the water is very warm, almost too hot to touch.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Oh, yes, thank you SK - I forgot to mention the water should be warm. :)

And it would be an interesting thread if it were about removing unwanted boarders. :ROFL:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I thought that too. I was gonna suggest giving them a kick in the ass!

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
My workroom was obviously the previous owners childrens room. I now have circus animals ringing the room. I hate it but have not mustered up the ambition to remove it.

Richard

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
We lived in a 200 year old house with All Kinds Of Icky Wallpaper!!!

*breathes deeply*

Warm water applied liberally works well. Let it soak in and then try to peel it away. What you can't peel, use a scraper. You'll also need a good dose of patience and bourbon. :D You're lucky it's just a border.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Another thought...is it a plaster wall or wallboard?

It's easier to remove wallpaper from plaster. With wallboard (is this the correct term? drywall?) the top layer might peel off when you scrape it.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Brain and Angie have the solution to remove your border, and the only thing I'd add is to make sure the water is very warm, almost too hot to touch.

Yes, this works like a charm. Been there, removed ugly wallpaper.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
steam works well too. it's a tad less messy than water. i've done it both with a device i rented that shoots out steam and by holding a boiling kettle up to it. the proper device is way better...and we used it for a room done in wallpaper...but it would be a lot easier and cheaper to use the kettle on just a border.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheap easy way. Liquid fabric softener. Just mix with warm water. There is a device that run rub over the border that pokes small holes in it,. They sell them at hardwares stores. Use that then wet a cloth with the water/fabric softener mixture and wipe on the border. It will melt the glue and be easy to peel off

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. We're going to tackle her room today, I think. We did the hall and hall bathroom yesterday. We could do our room and bathroom, but she really wants purple on her walls. We'll give it a shot.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
step A: knock down all the walls.

Step 2: before knocking down the walls, remove any furniture or valuables.

C: ensure that there isn't anything over the room like a ceiling or second story.

4th step: put up new walls.

cinqo: repaint.