Summer Goal: Finish My 1st Novel

litkitty

Registered
Reaction score
This is an awesome forum!

Now that it's almost July, I've decided that this is the summer that I will actually finish the first draft of the novel I've been working on for over a year. I have 89,000+ words at the moment, but since I've taken the NaNoWriMo approach of writing a super drafty first draft, the plot is all over the place, and the genre is a mix of chick lit/romance meets academic thriller. I feel like I'm lost in the middle and my characters are wandering around searching for a plot or waiting for something to happen.

I'm working on my dissertation this summer too, but it's really important to me that I actually finish this novel so I can print it out and celebrate actually completing something. ;) With the exception of some flash fiction, I've never made it to the end of the short stories and novels I've started.

So, my goal is to write at least 500 words/day (6 days a week). I like the way Ben Mears gives regular updates on his progress, so I'll try to do the same here.

And if there's anyone who wants to buddy up so we can keep each other accountable by exchanging updates on progress/daily goals/word counts/struggles, let me know.

Happy Writing! :)

~litkitty

Today's Goals:
  1. spend a little time with my characters to see what they're up to
  2. quick brainstorm of upcoming scenes
  3. add 500 words
  4. spend a half hour typing up some of the handwritten pages I wrote in May (14 pages in my notebook need to be typed)
  5. post today's progress on this thread

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck on finishing your project! A few suggestions if I may?

Head over to the Writing Novels Forum and check out the thread Learn Writing with Uncle Jim. Some great advice in there about plot, characters...or, if time is scarce, check out the condensed version at the top of the forum's list of threads.
Try and outline (not just brainstorm) upcoming scenes - make them be like footsteps towards the climax (although twisty, starnge footsteps are allowed for sake of surprising the reader *grins*)
And try to designate a specific chunk of time during the day for writing. (Uncle Jim suggests 2 hours) I prefer to do some time in the morning and some in the evening.

Good luck again, and full speed ahead!

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! And I second the read-through of Uncle Jim's thread. It's great! :)

litkitty

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Alanna & Black Winged Fighter,

Thanks for the advice! I found some great stuff in the Uncle Jim thread. I didn't manage to get any new words written today, but I'm going to do what Black Winged Fighter and Uncle Jim suggested and set aside a specific time to write.

And before I go to bed, I'm going to make a quick list of scenes so I can start with a little direction tomorrow

litkitty

Registered
Reaction score
Day One

After reading Ben Mears's and Uncle Jim's advice about outlining, I just finished a quick list of upcoming scenes/details. Even though there are only 9 points on my list, I can already feel the plot moving along and I can now "see" the movie playing in my head again.

This morning, I decided to switch gears and get rid of the murder mystery plot. I wasn't having any fun writing it and my characters kept wanting to do other things. It had gotten to the point where I really couldn't visualize them anymore because I just couldn't see how I was going to pull off the situation that I'd gotten them into. And since I would've had to force it to make it work, I'm going to listen to my characters and follow where they want to go for a while. ;)

Today's Goals
1. Write from 11:00-12:00 tonight (it's a bit late, but it's the most realistic time slot in my schedule)
2. Add at least 500 words to novel
3. Make quick list of upcoming scenes for Tuesday's writing
4. Post progress here

Today's Word Count: 0/500

Grand Total: 87,238

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Way to go! As soon as you get into the swing of this routine, you'll find what you're looking for in your plot fast.

litkitty

Registered
Reaction score
Day Two

The bad news: I didn't get my 500 words written last night. I was up till 1am working on school stuff, so I now know that planning to write late at night does not work for me.

The good news: I was having coffee and writing by 5:45 this morning. I managed to get 1005 words written and I'm so happy with the way the words are flowing out of me. It feels like i'm not having to think too much, but just record what's happening in my head. It's a great feeling.

I even made a Writing Log chart so that I can record how many words I write each day. I'm hoping that I can squeeze in a few more words at some point today. We'll see....

Even though the morning is the best time for me to get my writing done, I'm afraid that if I oversleep I won't be able to get in my writing time during the day. So, this new rule will help: If I miss my early morning writing session, I have to make it up during my lunch break.

Thanks for the encouragement black winged fighter and alanna. Knowing that you guys are checking up on my progress is a great motivator.

Happy Writing!

Today's Word Count: 1005/500 :snoopy:

Grand Total: 88,243

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo - that's double your goal. Keep going, easpecially now you've found your optimum time for writing. I find I write at my best very early or very late in the day (I think it has something to do with my brain still being in a dream state...)

litkitty

Registered
Reaction score
Day Three

I don't have much time to update the thread this morning. But I'm happy to report that I got in 1000 words this morning between 5:45 and 6:30. I hope I can keep this up. The fun thing I've discovered is that by writing in the morning, my characters stay with me all day, giving me little hints about what they want to do next. It's great!

Thanks for all the encouragement Black Winged Fighter--what are you working on at the moment? And Alanna I hope you're making great progress toward your 25,000 words for the week! :)

Today's Word Count: 1077/500 :snoopy:

Grand Total: 89,337

Creative To Do:
1. Make list of upcoming scenes/details for tomorrow's writing
2. Make a table of contents for my novel binder

litkitty

Registered
Reaction score
Day Four

After taking a couple months away from the novel, it feels so good to be writing again. I can't wait until I can print the whole thing out and put it in a binder!!

This morning I woke up a little earlier and managed to write from 5:30-6:30. I was disappointed when it was time for me to stop and go have breakfast with my husband.

My main characters are about to break into a house--I have no idea what they're going to find there....

I have to go to work now, but maybe I can sneak in some extra writing time tonight.

Today's Word Count: 1092/500 :banana:

Grand Total: 90,429

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
black winged fighter said:
I find I write at my best very early or very late in the day (I think it has something to do with my brain still being in a dream state...)

Me too. I think it's because they're the only times of day that it's quiet. No computer whirring..... no cars going by... no tv. Just you and your book. (although I do like the idea of the dreamstate). I work best from 12 - 2am.

litkitty - how long are you planning this book to be? 120k?

litkitty

Registered
Reaction score
Day Five

I stayed up till 2am working on an uncooperative dissertation chapter :(, so I was way too exhausted to get in my 500 words this morning. But this evening I plan to go to Barnes & Noble for a couple hours, like 7-10, and get in my writing time then.

Hi loquax! I have no idea how long this novel's going to be. It's definitely going to be over 100,000 words. I wouldn't be surprised if the first draft is between 130 and 150,000 words just because it's taken me a while to figure out where the story is going. But I'm finding that writing out a list of upcoming scenes/details every few days is keeping me on a good path, although at times I feel like I'm writing a soap opera that just won't end. haha I'll have to get it down to a more reasonable length during revision.

Ok, time to get busy on the dissertation so I can go to Barnes & Noble tonight.

Hope everyone had a productive week. I'll check in again tonight!

~~litkitty

Today's Word Count: 0/500

Grand Total:

litkitty

Registered
Reaction score
All Caught Up...

Today's the first day I've been able to write since last Thursday. Surprisingly, after a 3-day break, I was able to recover some momentum and push ahead in the plot. My main characters have made a discovery that's going to shape the plot from here on out. Very exciting. I have to catch up on dissertation writing today, but I'm hoping that I might be able to sneak in some more novel time this afternoon.

I also bought a cool notebook so I can start keeping a journal for writing this novel. I got the idea from Elizabeth George's Write Away. She keeps a "Journal of a Novel" for each book she writes. Does anyone else do this? I figure I'll use it to write about my process, ideas, questions, details, revision, etc.

I also find that listening to the Great Expectations really draws me into the world of my novel.

Ok, enough babbling from me. I've got to eat lunch and transition into academic writing. :gone:

Today's Word Count: :snoopy: 3,018/500 :snoopy:

Grand Total: 93,456

litkitty

Registered
Reaction score
Addiction

Even though I was swamped with dissertation work yesterday, I managed to add 400+ words around 1am and then when I woke up this morning I added 700 more. I'm already looking forward to stealing a little time to write tonight.

The cool thing is that the more I write, the more I want to write. A nice little addiction is building up. I was so tired last night, but just as I was about to turn off my laptop and go to bed, I decided to get on the couch and just read the last few pages I'd written. And before I knew it, I was typing...

One neat trick that's been keeping my mind on the novel even while I work on the dissertation is that I've been keeping a picture of the hero on my desktop. (It's a pic of an actor who would be perfect for the role if this book ever made it into the hands of a Hollywood producer). Having a picture of my broody boy right there keeps the novel very present in my mind.

I have yet to get started on my novel journal, but I'll see if I can make some time for that today.

That's all for now~~I've got a dissertation to write. :(

Today's word Count: 723/500

Grand Total: 95,619

litkitty

Registered
Reaction score
Moving Along

Still pushing ahead in the novel. Things are going well. I'm in love with the hero. :heart:

Have to dash off to do some dissertation writing, but wanted to take a second to post today's progress. I didn't get around to writing yesterday, but keeping a pic of the hero on my desk top has done wonders for keeping the novel present in my mind; builds up lots of anticipation.

I also started a journal for this novel last night, we'll see if I can keep it up.

And I came across an idea for a new novel. I can't wait to start researching and planning that.

Feeling very creative this week....

Happy Writing!!

Today's Total: 1,172/500 :banana:

Grand Total: 96,767 (wonder if I can hit 100,000 words this weekend....)

litkitty

Registered
Reaction score
Officially Past the 100,000 Word Mark!

Yay, I've been writing about 1000 words each morning and today I finally made it to 100,000+! Very exciting. The writing is going really well. I'm trying not to question the plot at this point (that's what revision is for, right?). So, I'm focusing on telling the story I want to tell even if parts of it are cheesy and a little unrealisitc. But whatevs--I'm having fun and that's all that matters. :D

Anyway, yesterday, I made a plan for getting this novel to a publisher/agent by Dec 31, 2006 (already making resolutions for next year--hee hee!)

PUBLICATION PLAN: 2005-2006
  • SEPTEMBER 1st: Finish first draft of novel (then take the rest of the month off)
  • OCTOBER-MARCH: Revise Novel
  • MARCH 1: Circulate to readers for critique
  • AUGUST 1: Revise from readers' comments
  • AUG/SEPT: Make list of agents & publishers
  • OCTOBER-DECEMBER: Write synopsis, query letter, & polish first 3 chapters
  • DEC 31: Submit to agents & 1 publisher
So now that I have a plan, I just have to push to make sure I have a complete first draft by early September. I'm guessing that I need another 30-40,000 words....

Total for Sat & Sun: 3348/1000

Grand Total: 100,116 words :snoopy:

litkitty

Registered
Reaction score
The End Is in Sight....

I still have a bunch more to write, but I think I know how my novel's going to end. And I'm already having flashes of what will happen in the sequel. Very exciting and I owe it all to Coldplay. Something about one of their new songs sparked a movie in my head and I could see the whole ending play out. So yay!

I have to rush to get some dissertation work done before I leave town for the weekend. I hope I can get some writing done while I'm away. As for this week:

Week's Total: 4666/3000

Grand Total: 104,783

rowriter

Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlcdawriter.blogspot.com
great job!

Hi litkitty,

I think it's great you're on the road to finishing up that novel! And that you're progressing steadily. My summer goal is to complete the novel I started in April of this year. I'm at about 36k right now and my aim is for 100k. I'm also using the quick method (i like to call it "my sh*tty first draft" - anne lammott, I want to just write it and get it out, then pick it apart (it'll be my first novel, so I know it's bound to be a mess! lol). Basically I started knowing how I wanted my character to have changed by the end, and I just stick to those broad ideas as I write. I don't know if this method works for me or not, I'll have to see after it's done and rewritten a couple times, lol.

I like the idea of putting up a pic of someone who resembles a character. Sometimes it's hard to see my characters and then things don't seem real enough (in a fictional sense, lol) when I'm writing them. Also I'm starting to think writing earlier in the day is crucial...it's hard for me to get things done the later it gets in the day...

I was mainly writing to give my input about notebooks/journals. Right now I have two things, a single-subject spiral notebook where most of my notes are (i really need to print my online notes out and put them in there!) and a small black spiral weekly planner some B&N where I'm keeping my word count and times. For the first 30k I wasn't keeping track of the numbers except to look at them at the end of a writing session, and now I'm disappointed I can't look at my stats. I think I let a lot of good days get away without writing. ;) The red spiral I've been using since before starting...I keep lists, small outlines, little blurbs of things, brainstorms, etc. I'm not very good at organizing the stuff. But it's good at times when I'm wondering, "what exactly am I doing here?" and then I can see what my original purpose was and often steer back in a good direction, or confirm that the new direction fits better.

Well, sorry for the length, I made the mistake of not working on my WIP early in the day so I've got a bit of runny mouth. :) I need to get writing!

Ro

litkitty

Registered
Reaction score
Still here...

Hola friends!

rowriter: how's your novel going? Shitty first drafts are the best, though I think I kind of got lost in mine for a while. It took me forever to figure out where my characters were going. It was neat reading about your different journals; I like seeing how everyone else manages a novel. Keep me posted on your progress!

I didn't get any writing done when I was out of town last weekend, but I did jot down a lot of details that I can use in future projects.

The dissertation has been keeping me busy. I need to have a first draft of that by Sept 5, so I haven't been making time for the novel. But tonight I was really missing my characters, so I decided to hang out with them for a while and ended up adding 1000+ words. Yay!! I hope I can write some more this weekend.

When I had my vision of the ending last week, I think I started getting impatient and didn't want to take the time to write the middle. Plus, my 2 main characters keep falling into bed together (haha) so I have to keep rounding them up to do other things, like solve the mystery that's the focus of the novel. ;)

That said, I need to get some sleep. I can't believe it's already 3:30! Best of luck to the night owl writers!!

Today's Total: 1038/500

Grand Total: 106,179

BenMears

Registered
Reaction score
Well, you've done nearly 20,000 words now in less that a month. Great going. Keep plugging away, and since you've already got the ending in sight, you must see how to get there. Another month before school--I'm betting you're going to make it!

rowriter

Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rowriter: how's your novel going? Shitty first drafts are the best, though I think I kind of got lost in mine for a while. It took me forever to figure out where my characters were going. It was neat reading about your different journals; I like seeing how everyone else manages a novel. Keep me posted on your progress!

It's going really well! I've been able to up my daily progress a LOT, I'm very motivated to get to the halfway point of 50k at the end of this week! (the notebook where I keep daily goal is really helping to motivate, and I can actually "see" finishing the book). I'm getting good also at sketching out what's going to happen in my writing about two days in advance, so that is helping a lot too...I certainly don't know all the aspects of what the characters are doing, but it seems more fun to write when not every single thing is predetermined (and mine isn't a convoluted plot, so that makes it easier I suppose).

I don't seem to get a lot of writing done on the weekends either; hubby and I are often out of town, or just doing stuff other than sitting at home at our computers, lol.

Keep us updated, you're making great progress! You can do it!! :)

Rowriter

litkitty

Registered
Reaction score
Final month!!

Hey rowriter & Ben Mears! Thanks for popping in and reminding me of how much I've accomplished so far this summer. Your encouragement forced me to sit down last night (even though I had trouble keeping my eyes open) and add another 1000 words. I'm almost there. I don't know how many more words I need to write, but I know the big plot points I need to hit. So tonight I think I'll take a second and briefly jot down the upcoming scenes/details for the next day's writing.

I've also gotten to the point where I'm reading pleasure books to see how they're put together. I'm writing a chicklitty novel in the 3rd person so I've been trying to read books that do the 3rd person so well, the author makes it feel like the first person. I treated myself to C. J. Tosh's Bite, which has a snappy third person voice. And as soon as I finish the first draft of the novel, I'll have to reread my fave book (& model), Claire Naylor & Mimi Hare's The Second Assistant. Fun!!

Speaking of revision, I'm trying to come up with a good revision process that will help me make sense out of my super drafty first draft. I've finally figured out the secret to writing the first draft of the novel--Glue Thy Butt to the Nearest Chair! But, I'm at a loss for how to revise my big baggy monster without becoming overwhelmed. Any tips?

The dissertation and job market prep is eating up all my spare time, so I'm going to have to make a concerted effort to schedule time for the novel, especially since I really could be finished with it by Sept. 1.

Sounds like you're making great progress, rowriter! Did you cross the 50,000 mark?! Would you be at all interested in checking in/posting your progress during the week? It'd be nice to have someone hold me accountable or at least inspire me to keep going by how much they're accomplishing! :) And Ben, I'm heading over to your thread right now to catch up on what you've been doing.

Ciao!!

Grand Total: 111,712

ricaykw

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to finish a novel this summer too! I started a little over 3 weeks ago and have 20k right now. I would really like to finish it before I go back to school in September. Best of luck with yours (you seem to be doing quite well)!! :)

La Reine

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Litkitty,

You inspire me for when I get to the dissertation stage of my studies. I thought I wouldn't be able to write at that stage, but apparently if I'm dedicated and hardworking enough, I might!

I also have a deadline to completely revise my manuscript before September when school starts. Fortunately, it's not as long as yours. I'd be very happy if I got 50,000 words out of it. Right now it stands at about 45-50,000 words.

Keep writing! For editing, I've heard it's best if you don't take too long doing it. I plan to do my editing in one month flat, and then a second smaller edit about a month from then.

rowriter

Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
litkitty said:
....I've also gotten to the point where I'm reading pleasure books to see how they're put together. I'm writing a chicklitty novel in the 3rd person so I've been trying to read books that do the 3rd person so well, the author makes it feel like the first person. I treated myself to C. J. Tosh's Bite, which has a snappy third person voice. And as soon as I finish the first draft of the novel, I'll have to reread my fave book (& model), Claire Naylor & Mimi Hare's The Second Assistant. Fun!!....

.... I'm at a loss for how to revise my big baggy monster without becoming overwhelmed. Any tips?....

Sounds like you're making great progress, rowriter! Did you cross the 50,000 mark?! Would you be at all interested in checking in/posting your progress during the week? ....

Hi Litkitty! I just crossed the 80k mark today, and still plodding along (been struggling a bit with the writing lately). I hope to write "the end" in about 2 weeks. I'm actually keeping progress of my daily writing in my blog, the link is in my profile :) . Sometimes I think I'm a bit obsessive about the numbers, but when I see how much I get done by keeping tabs on myself, I'm motivated to write. But I'll post here too, let you know when I'm finally done!

Thanks for mentioning those two titles, I've been meaning to read more chicklit stuff.

As for revising, read through once all the way through before changing big chunks (this is of course after letting it sit in your drawer for a little while to get some distance from it). And you're definitely going to print it out, right? Also search the Uncle Jim thread for 'revising', I bet there's some good advice in there. I always have a few writing books laying around to get revising ideas from: some particularly good ones IMO are Stein on Writing by Sol Stein, also The First Five Pages and The Plot Thickens by Noah Lukeman.

So how's your writing going? You said earlier you might be finished with it by September; is this still a possibility? Hope it's going well!