Why I've Been Gone

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
First off, I'm sorry that it seems as if I bailed out on the query contest. At the time that was ending, we had a family emergency.

One of my cousins committed suicide. People, seriously, don't believe the line "If they talk about it, they won't do it." Yes, they will.

I've been working through issues with that. I'm not completely through, but I think I'm through enough I can say that I am semi-back. We'll revisit the contests and such towards the end of next week.

And, I have to tell you, it's been hard trying to write through all this. I don't think I've written much at all in the past week, if anything.

So...

That's why I've been gone and I'm semi-back. I have some deadlines that need to be taken care of by mid-week next week, so I won't be fully back until then.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Jen I am so sorry for your loss. :Hug2: My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. Loosing a loved one, no matter the circumstances is never easy. Take all the time you need, contests and other stuff can wait.

Last edited:

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Jen:

So sorry you and your family have had to experience this. After 20 years as a therapist, I've learned that in this situation there are no easy answers, survivors tend to blame themselves and everyone is different; sometimes there are signs and other times, nothing and neither is an accurate predictor of the event.

Be kind to yourself and get some rest. My thoughts are with you.

Glad you're back,

CoffeeBound

Registered
Reaction score
How horrible. I wish I could give you peace, but here's my condolences just the same. **HUGGS**

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
I'm so sorry. A friend of mine did this to himself too, and I know how helpless and guilty everyone around the person feels. My thoughts are with you.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
Huge hugs to you, Jen. This is one of those times we writers often feel a loss of words: Words to comfort, words for work, and words to live through it all. I hope you find yours soon and that your cousin finds peace on the other side.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
You know you always have my unwavering support and positive thoughts. It's not easy getting through something like this, but you have a tight-knit family to help, and sometimes work can be a godsend. Take care, and do what you have to do. Day by day, the sunshine will leak in.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so very sorry, Jen. I'm praying for you and your family. :Hug2:

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I'm so sorry to hear that, Jen.

Despite being a writer, I'm not so good with words sometimes. I hope that the grief and pain do not last too long nor cut too deep.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Thanks, everyone. It means a lot to me to read your comments.

We're making it through. I'm crocheting a prayer shawl for my aunt. I've been kind of laying low and not doing much writing, but I got a kick-start to get going again and it's moving relatively smoothly.

My sister had a dream where my cousin told her he was OK. She told us every detail and we (me, Mom, my sister, and his sister) are convinced it wasn't just a dream. And that helps a LOT!

So, really, thank you so much. I understand that it's difficult to find words. I've been there when anyone here or IRL has a death in the family or is going through a very difficult situation. The fact that you said something is a testament to the wonderful people you are.

And thank you, too, to those who may have sent prayers/good thoughts and not said anything here. That is also greatly appreciated.

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
When my sister-in-law died this past December, I had a dream about her in which she ran up to me, smiling and laughing, and gave me a huge joyful hug. Definitely not just a dream.

How thoughtful of you, to create a prayer shawl for your aunt. I wonder if my MIL would want one...hmmm.

Sending more good thoughts your way...

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Oh gosh, sorry to hear about it...

If it helps, even many Catholic priests now see it as if the person was not really 'themselves' at the time of this action, & it's like an illness has come over them & clouded their thoughts & influenced their actions.. so to people who are religious this may be helpful too - I've talked to a very sympathetic priest about this, and someone online reported a similar experience...

(Also, a big number of factors may influence such a decision, from nutritional, toxics in everyday products/food/environment/... to societal influences - mass media, magazines, TV, books etc... so I hope your relatives haven't been too hard on themselves..)

a prayer shawl sounds remarkable.. wishing you peace & calm on the way..

Last edited:

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Kate, I'm sorry you've had to go through a similar situation. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Andreya, going along that line, my Grandma said she had talked with my aunt the next day (of course she talked to her before that, too, but this one conversation in particular). She had given my aunt a decorative platter with Jesus catching a man falling (I don't know if he was falling from the sky or stumbling on the ground or what) and it said "Forgiven" at the bottom of the platter.

My aunt had asked, "Do you think that's true? Do you think he's forgiven [my cousin]?"

My Grandma said, "God doesn't hold it against someone who has cancer. [My cousin] was sick. He had to have been. So why would God hold it against him?"

OK. I've got to stop now. *s*

NeverEndingStory

Registered
Reaction score
Jen:

I, too, have been gone from AW, but for far too long and certainly not for reasons as heavy as this. In logging on today, I thought I'd catch up on the conversations, add a couple of cents here and there, and say hello to a few old friends, you included.
:Hug2:
While I didn't expect to find this topic on the other side of your link, I am glad I clicked on it. I am so sorry for your loss. There are no words that will heal your heart, only time can do that. Please take care, and know my thoughts are with you.