Submission Timetable -- What's Yours? (and how do you cope?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Submission timelines…are they bringing you down? I was going to post this in rejection…and then in basic writing questions…and then in ask the agent…but then thought it would be better here. I want to ask about a dilemma I am having with a publisher of choice…but also ask others how they are doing in the submission timelines they are currently finding themselves in.

I researched a small press that I was really impressed with. I want my book to be published by them, so I submitted one of my manuscripts to them—back in September. I don’t usually even think about stuff I have out on submission, since I always have A LOT of stuff out there. I don’t mind waiting and I often forget what I have out. This case is a bit different. I keep getting little updates about the status of my submission, etc…but no rejection/acceptance. I haven’t heard from them now since May. I’m beginning to think it’s not going to happen with this publisher (Really, Sherlock? How astute you are. You should get together and call yourself an institute). Here’s the timeline:

Submission Timeline:

September – Submit a query and a partial, as per their submission guidelines.
November – Receive a full request and send it off almost immediately.
February – Send a follow up to the full…as their guidelines suggest doing so if you have not heard back from them in so many days. (I waited almost a month after the date they suggested)
March – Receive a reply to the follow-up. They are seriously considering the manuscript. It is in the running for the next year’s publication plans. Promising feedback included.
May – Receive an email asking if the manuscript is still offered to them for publication.
May – Reply back, letting them know that it is with them exclusively. I ask of the status while I’m at it…thinking the email sounds pretty positive as they are basically asking if they can still buy it.
May- They let me know that they are very close to making their final decisions (but they have not done so yet) and that they will let me know very soon—either way.

I don’t want to ruin my chances by nagging…but I’m thinking, they asked me that last question—and told me they would get back to me very soon—2 months ago. Would it be out of line to send a follow-up? Should I give up my hopes of getting on with this publisher?

I’d love to hear if anybody else has submission timelines that involved back and forth communication like this…and where you stand right now in that communication. So…this is a both pointed question about my own experience with this publisher and how far I should push things---and a general question regarding where you currently stand in your submission process at the moment.

Also...if you do think about your current submissions all the time, how do you cope with the wait (especially when it's really long)? I already said I usually don't think about the subs I have out there as I have so many at any given time...but this one keeps needling me.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I have no idea how timetable got in the title. Must have been a brain fart. I meant timeline. (-;

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds really positive, KTC! I don't think a nudge at two months is out of line.

Lisa Cox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Seeing as they are aware you have submitted exclusively to them, I reckon they'd understand if you wanted to give them a little nudge.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks both.

I will probably end up waiting a bit longer.

I wonder at what point people here decide that a certain sub is considered rejected? There's so many stories about people hearing back after a year or longer. It's such a brutal process.

I have 4 fulls out at the moment. --well, 3 fulls and one of them at 2 places.

I guess I'm just tired of waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.