Not open for further replies.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
My first update has nothing to do with writing. It has to do with hotels.

My pal Holly Jacobs and I arrived on Tuesday afternoon. She went to check us in while I waited in the car with all the stuff. (Didn't want to unload the car just to put it in storage.) A few minutes later, she called my cell. The hotel was overbooked for the night and they wanted to bump us to another hotel.

They offered us a terrific deal to move for the night! They paid for our night's stay at the other nice hotel, they gave us CASH money, and they upgraded out room when we checked in yesterday! We got a FANTASTIC room!!! So that all worked out well. (It was a bit of a PITA, what with having to take the subway back to this hotel Tuesday afternoon to meet with friends and stuff, and having to repack and move yesterday mornng, but...totally worth it!)

The lit signing last night went well for me. I sold some books, which is always a good thing. And you're allowed to buy your leftovers for just 25% of the cover price, which is a great deal! So I bought my leftovers. Can't pass that up.

I got to meet Kasey at the signing, so that was fun!

After the signing, the Super party went well. My biggest contribution was standing on a chair to SHUSH everyone when it was time for us to give away a prize. I used to be an elementary teacher, so I can PROJECT my voice and make an excellent attention getter.

We invited Super authors to our room after the party, but only 2 showed up. the rest either got lost or were too tired.

This morning is Janet Evanovich's talk, and I'm REALLY looking forward to that. I'm hoping she's as funny and entertaining in person as she is in her books.

Gotta run, but I'll try to post another update later today. I can't stay too long at the AW gathering because my editor changed our lunch today to dinner tonight, but I'm looking forward to at least popping in for a few minutes before I have to meet her in the lobby.

Susan G.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Words of wisdom from Janet Evanovich yesterday:

"Don't be afraid to reinvent yourself. Life is long."

Susan G.

Aileen Harkwood

Paranormal Suspense Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Words of wisdom from Janet Evanovich yesterday:

"Don't be afraid to reinvent yourself. Life is long."

Susan G.

Susan, I love this quote from Evanovich because it so clearly speaks to where I am right now in my life and career. My guess is that a lot of writers can identify.

I hope you don't mind, but I quoted your quote in a post about RWA Nationals on my blog. I was certain to give you and AW full credit with the appropriate links.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Susan gave an awesome presentation today about character motto. Very informative & illustrative. Susan is a wonderful speaker. I'll try to remember to post links when RWA uploads the recording. Thanks again, Susan and great to meet you!

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Susan gave an awesome presentation today about character motto. Very informative & illustrative. Susan is a wonderful speaker. I'll try to remember to post links when RWA uploads the recording. Thanks again, Susan and great to meet you!

Oh, yeaaaayyyy! I'm delighted you found it helpful. Truly, I worry about that. <G>

It was terrific to meet you, too. I'm wearing my wonderful Absolute Write pin. :)

Susan G.

Aileen Harkwood

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently there was a fire alarm at the Marriott and everyone poured out of the hotel from the conference. Workshops continued outside, while others from the conference snapped pics of firemen....Also Washington Post has article about the Nationals. It's on their site right now, but you may need to register to read it.

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
Apparently there was a fire alarm at the Marriott and everyone poured out of the hotel from the conference. Workshops continued outside, while others from the conference snapped pics of firemen....Also Washington Post has article about the Nationals. It's on their site right now, but you may need to register to read it.

Something similar happened in Dallas, except it was in the middle of the night. Evidently an electrical fire. My roommate and I could barely hear it because we were in another wing and sleeping with earplugs. Silly us, we didn't even get up.

Aileen Harkwood

Registered
Reaction score
RITA and Golden Hearts Awards ceremony in progress...I'm listing the winners here as they are announced.

Update...Awards have concluded. Full list.

Last edited:

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
I had a blast meeting Susan, JoB, Jackie Kessler, and of course Jill Myles/Irysangel who I've been online friends with for years! And JoB--TOLD YOU SO! I absolutely KNEW you were going to win a RITA...haven't even read your book yet, though it's in my massive TBR pile, but I just had a feeling! Susan is a sweetie, had a blast hanging with Jackie, and I can't wait for next year already!!!

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Thank you kindly, @ Dolores, Shameless, Kasey, Cathy, Susan,
I am so pleased and proud and just numb-from-excitment tickled pink.

I will add, for folks who are newer writers ...

I Had No Idea when I was writing these two Finalist books that I would enter the RITA. The thought never crossed my mind.
I had no idea I would win a RITA with one of them.

So have faith in what you are writing. You never know how far it will go.

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, wow, wow and CONGRATS, JoB. Inspiring.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Many congratulations, Jo! It's wonderful to see such talent recognized! It was also a great pleasure to meet you in DC.

My first conference and I'm still overwhelmed and hung over. And cannot wait until Nashville next year...

Shamrockgreen

A day on the skeet range helps the frustration
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you kindly, @ Dolores, Shameless, Kasey, Cathy, Susan,
I am so pleased and proud and just numb-from-excitment tickled pink.

I will add, for folks who are newer writers ...

I Had No Idea when I was writing these two Finalist books that I would enter the RITA. The thought never crossed my mind.
I had no idea I would win a RITA with one of them.

So have faith in what you are writing. You never know how far it will go.

Jo I sent a gushing congrats on your facebook page......I am so thrilled for you!!!! :Hug2::D:hooray::snoopy:

Shamrockgreen

A day on the skeet range helps the frustration
Registered
Reaction score
I am going next year! I am going next year! I am going next year!!

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I am going next year! I am going next year! I am going next year!!

And NOW is the time to start saving and planning. <G> When your family asks what you want for birthday/holidays -- you want a contribution to the Nationals fund. <G>

I really want to go next year, too. I would LOVE to see Nashville. :)

Susan G.

Niki_G

Here I Am!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolegreenauthor.com
Congrats, JoB! And I enjoyed reading these posts in general since I couldn't make it to RWA this year. Won't be able to next year, either. But I'm hoping 2011 will be my year to conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.