Earned First Professional Feather, Now What?

Gypsy_Agent

I placed in Star Trek's, Strange New World VIII anthology this year. The place earned me a professional publication with Simon & Schuster, but now that I have it, I don't know what to do with it.
Any thoughts?
How can I use this to get my (non-Star Trek) novel published, or even looked at?

Help?!?!?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Any writing and publication credentials can be used to establish yourself as a legit writer. The fact that the anthology is published by Simon & Shuster should help you.

Andrew Zack

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.zackcompany.com
Congratulations on placing your story. I agree that mentioning it in your query letters makes sense, but really only if you are marketing a science fiction novel. I disagree that S&S will care that you have a short story in a Pocket anthology. To the editors who don't work on Star Trek, the imprint might as well be at Random House. Also, keep in mind that every single SF editor (at least all I've worked with) in NYC pretty much feels that selling well in Star Trek is a credit to the selling power of the Star Trek brand and not to the individual authors.