Status
Not open for further replies.

windyrdg

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
capearagopress.com
The attached article verifies what I've felt for a long time. The only friend Amazon has is Amazon. As far as I'm concerned, Jeff Beezos suffers from megalomania and needs to be cut off at the knees.

The NYT follows-up the WSJ piece on Sourcebooks' decision to postpone the ebook release of their new hardcover YA novel Bran Hambric. As we noted in our write-up on Monday, the Times reiterates that every house with a major frontlist fiction release is debating whether to delay publication in ebook form (and some are contemplating much broader shifts in the timing of their ebook releases).

Since no one is talking about it on the record, the Times story doesn't add much that you don't already know. Interesting, in a quirky way, is this paragraph: "For now, Amazon is taking a loss on each e-book it sells because it generally pays publishers half of the hardcover list price on new releases. So publishers who delay releasing e-books run the risk of losing sales, for which they are now getting higher margins than they are on print books." The innocent reader could come away thinking, 'publishers are being petty idiots giving away profits and annoying e-book readers at the same time while Amazon's willing to lose money on customers' behalf' rather than, say, Amazon wants to use their gigantic scale to dominate the emerging ebook business at any cost, including another blow to my local bookstore, while publishers are willing to give up some quick profit to protect a functioning industry for authors, booksellers, and publishers.

Because most publishers aren't saying much for record--and even when they do, they hide behind veiled discussions of price and even piracy (honestly, Doubleday is claiming that they are "primarily worried about the security of Mr. Brown's book rather than particular vendors")--readers and consumers may wind up getting the wrong message.

As many publishers see it this is about Amazon subsidizing what's seen as an artificially low price to try to dominate the growing market and potentially impose terms on publishers later on. They can afford the subsidies both because of their size (their $35 billion market cap vastly exceeds the value of all the biggest US booksellers and publishers) but also because of the margins built in to manufacturing and selling their own reading devices. And Amazon has used the lure of cheap bestsellers to help sell their devices, while consumers remain mostly unaware that about a third of all Kindle books sell for more than $9.99.

Most consumers also don't know that Amazon (and for now most major retailers of ebooks from traditional publishers) buys ebooks at a 50 percent discount, when market-dominating Apple only gets a 30 percent discount on music downloads.

Publishers' concerns stem primarily from the steep upturn in Amazon's Kindle sales as of March and the even more dramatic shift in the ratio between electronic and print sales at Amazon on a small subset subsidized new fiction hardcover releases in particular, with Kindle many times comprising 50 to 70 percent of Amazon's sales on those titles.

As the Times notes publishers could make the same (or better) short-term profits by encouraging Amazon's behavior, but they're looking out for what they believe to be their long-term interests--and are trying to protect the entire system of physical book retailing which supports the whole industry. Those aren't bad things for your customers and readers to hear--but if no one says them, then the message doesn't get transmitted. It doesn't do much good to fulminate in private but then avoid the problem in public and make tangential claims of piracy concerns and other issues. To be clear, I do not subscribe to the idea that producers can ever "educate" consumers about value--the smart companies (and the survivors) learn from their consumers about value and make it part of their business. But explaining can help.

Deleted member 42

Amazon also converts titles to Kindle format, and does all the marketing for them. Moreover, the iPhone is rapidly taking over the Kindle in terms of platform--and it uses a variety of ebook file formats, including several that I think are actually better than Kindle.

I'm really not at all upset about this. Frankly, I'm more annoyed by Amazon's DRM--which is really obscene--than anything else.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Question of a simple mind: what is DRM?

Digital Rights Management.

by Matt Buchanan(from 5/2007)

Amazon's joining the ranks of DRM-free music distributors with the launch of an MP3-only download store that will offer "millions of songs" from "more than 12,000 record labels" with no copy protections whatsoever. Leading those labels, naturally, is the record industry's DRM-free town bicycle, EMI, who is curiously the only label mentioned by name of the 12,000, so we can bet no other majors are on board.

Deleted member 42

The Kindle DRM will only allow you to download your book a limited number of times; now, keep in mind, the DRM is tethered to your Amazon account, but if you have an iPhone, an iPod Touch, and a Kindle--maybe an "old" original Kindle, and a "new" Kindle 2--you can't read the book on all of them, even if it's only on one device at a time.

That's insane. I can read other ebooks I pay for on multiple readers, on multiple devices, even though they too have tethered DRM that ties the book to my personal identity.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion, DRM is like shooting yourself in the foot. The smaller and lighter the DRM the better you are.

DRM that basically goes with the copy and says "This copy was downloaded originally by X" is like an airsoft plastic pellet gun. You don't really feel it through your shoe. If your cost/service are good enough people will be better off and rather buy it from a legit source than pirate it anyway, so this light little DRM isn't going to really hurt any one (except source pirates... Whats with that name anyway, pirates? its not like they are making money off of it.)

FADE and SecurRom are like a 12 gauge. Does no one any good, least of all you. Those encouraged pirates, because people hated them so much that they risked back hacking it, removing it, and downloading it.

So yeah, I'm not much for DRM. A lot of it is so invasive that it might as well not be your computer either.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
This can't come as a surprise.
I've often posted my observation that along with Amazon, agents, editors, publishers, publicists, marketeers, bookstores and anyone who makes a dollar off of art they themselves do not produce is your friend. Money, how to get it and keep it is the name of the game and it has nothing to do with the writing arts.
They may be nice, even kind to you but that doesn't mean they care a fig about your work unless it can earn $$.
C

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
i have never in my life used Amazon and i don't intend on ever using it.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Hmm.

Publishers are staring at the digital revolution in the face. And they don't know how to adapt. Neither did newspapers. They are dying. It is not that I believe that Kindle is better than a paperback book. It is not. However, the book as a form of media is becoming what the song as a form of media has become. Consider ...

In the 1950s and 1960s, the radio stations had the power. They controlled what music was played. DJs and owners were paid "payola" by agents and marketing guys to spread the word about their act. Eventually, this is evolved into a big business. Then, what we call "big media" came along. Radio stations were harvested into conglomerates. They were told what to play. They then bought a license to play the music. And today, most radio station pay record companies or media companies to play music, or they are tethered to the media companies in some way (via ownership or some other "business relationship").

Books (I use the general term) are the same way. Books were/are printed. Agents and publishers hustled to get out their and market them. And so on. However, now what Amazon does is flip the model (as noted by the OP). Eventually, Amazon, like Apple, wants to become market leader in that knowledge space. And eventually, it wants publishers to cowtow to the company. That would be the long term strategy. It worked for Apple. It also worked for Wal-mart with regards to how it works with the brands and companies that stock its stores.

Now ...

How is the paradigm changing? Books with DRM so you only get a certain number of reads? Amazon turning the book into something you subscribe to rather than own. Once you've read it, say, 5 times, that's it. You have to buy it again. Like the failed DVD format from 5 to 7 years ago that Spielberg and a few movie companies pushed (DIVM or something like that DIVX). You rented the DVD and it shut off after 48 hours. My sense is that model as it did then won't wash in the future.

However, it brings up a good point: books as entertainment. Books are the basis for many films. So, why shouldn't publishers treat them like films, allowing a set number of reads for the book before you need to pay again (e.g. a movie ticket)? It's a different experience than a film, sure, but it's an experience nonetheless.

Reality is this: follow the money. Money's driving this whole discussion. If a juggernaut like Amazon is willing to take a loss, plus infect the tomes with DRM, then something bigger is on the horizon. Further, that publishing companies are still wallowing in old rules, believing the paper model will wash for ... how many more years ... then they are not keeping up with trends in the teenage market, especially as it pertains to young men and women now (and there's some empirical data here, but I don't have it handy). Mix in the "Green" sentiment that's going around with the current push to digital, and it's a winning combination to get people to switch from a tree-made book to something that's easily slipped onto a digital reader. Either way, publishers will be looking more and more at cost savings to get books to market and, depending on how long the "green" movement lasts, someone will use that as part of the marketing strategy behind getting you to fork 500 bucks for a reader.

Finally, a last thought: like music, book publishing used to be almost completely inaccessible to the layman. Now, the layman can write, record, produce and distribute music that can be heard by millions almost instantly. Marketing and distribution are still vital, but the TOOLS to make it happen are available. They weren't before.

Book publishing the same. Previously, a typewriter, a manila envelope and hope were the only things that got one published. Now, with OpenOffice, a PDF generation and a Web page, you’re published. So, the paradigm has shifted here, too: tools that were once inaccessible are now easily accessible, thus driving the value of the Big Publisher down. The value now is in its access to big book houses, media outlets and other avenues of fame rather than simply publication.

Even how many publishers and agents accept queries, partials and manuscripts is slowly evolving to be more digital (there's a separate thread here somewhere discussing this). But that's too far off topic. What I would say is industries that rely on paper-based opportunities to make a buck are slowly going to die. How they evolve to the digital world that evolving around them will be how we, as potential published writers, should be keeping up with as well.

Last edited:

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
I never considered Amazon to be my friend. They're a company, out to maximize their profits.

Which is true of everyone you'll encounter through the publication process: agent, editor, publisher, distributor, bookseller, reviewer. They're all out to maximize their profits. That's not a friendship, that's a business relationship.

Deleted member 42

However, it brings up a good point: books as entertainment. Books are the basis for many films. So, why shouldn't publishers treat them like films, allowing a set number of reads for the book before you need to pay again (e.g. a movie ticket)? It's a different experience than a film, sure, but it's an experience nonetheless.

When you see a film in a theater, you buy a ticket--a license--to see the film. When you buy a book, you buy an object, even if the object is digital. If publishers want to be a library, that's fine. I "rent" books or borrow them from the library all the time, but it costs me pennies. I "rent" or borrow digital books (audio and text) from libraries too--for pennies.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
DRM is a sore spot for a lot of people. It's easy to defeat. The only people it ends up penalizing are the people who drop their Kindle in the sink and buy a Kindle 2 to replace it. And the Kindle has had lots of technical problems; batteries going dead and stuff like that. If all those books weren't available illegally for free anyhow, that would be one thing. I don't have a movie theater with theater quality sound and projectors in my house. I have to "rent" the use of the local movie palace, and I get a better product in return. But this just punishes people that they should be courting. The guy who drops his Kindle may just end up grabbing an illegal copy to replace it, and while he's there, he'll probably pick up a few more out of spite.

Deleted member 42

DRM is a sore spot for a lot of people. It's easy to defeat.

It's illegal to do so of course, and the terms of the license from Amazon mean that while you can keep the device, they can deny you access to any content you don't have locally, and they can actually disable the device.

I want authors and publishers to be paid--but Amazon is the poster child, along with software maker Quartk, of how not to do it.

My favorite ebook reader/publisher uses my credit card information, entered when I buy the book, to protect the book. If I want to give that information out, I can in fact give out the books, technically. If my credit card changes, I can log into the site and change it there, and in all the books I've ever published. They don't care how many times I download the book, or how many devices I use to read the books.

Barrett

Registered
Reaction score
Two questions, here; I'm trying to stay on top of industry news and I feel I'm a bit behind the times, so stick with me.

One, what is the usual percentage of royalty an author gets paid for a digital copy of their work, i.e., an e-book?

Two, if the vast majority of booksales in the next decade become digital, who are the new gatekeepers? Would we seek an agent who then makes a pitch to Amazon, like salesmen in the Wal-Mart offices in Arkansas, with no marketing and no editorial feedback? Would we end up pitching to Amazon ourselves while agents and editors fade away?

Not trying to sound alarmist, just trying to put my finger on the underlying concerns.

Deleted member 42

Two questions, here; I'm trying to stay on top of industry news and I feel I'm a bit behind the times, so stick with me.

One, what is the usual percentage of royalty an author gets paid for a digital copy of their work, i.e., an e-book?

40 to 50% is standard for the traditional houses.

Two, if the vast majority of booksales in the next decade become digital, who are the new gatekeepers? Would we seek an agent who then makes a pitch to Amazon, like salesmen in the Wal-Mart offices in Arkansas, with no marketing and no editorial feedback? Would we end up pitching to Amazon ourselves while agents and editors fade away?

Not trying to sound alarmist, just trying to put my finger on the underlying concerns.

Nothing would really change; Amazon is mostly a distributor. Yes, they're converting the files now, but the files come from the publisher. So Agent/Editor are still very much in the picture for professional "mass market" and text books.

Keep in mind that ebooks of this sort are not new; Voyager in the early 1990s made 11 million in 1994 on e-book sales. Now, we can read books on computers, phones, PDAs, iPods, and proprietary devices like the Sony ereader and the Kindle. Those books are mostly just converted from digital files used in the production of the printed or codex book.

With a good workflow, a publisher can take the final digital typeset and designed book file at the point it goes to the printer, and "fork" it to be converted to an ebook in multiple file formats. This is already done by a fair number of publishers.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I don't blame Amazon at all for the DRM. A book file would be so small that Kindle books could be easily swapped as e-mail attachments. These files aren't meant to be shared or switched among multiple devices. They are designed to be used on a Kindle.

Further, unlike with iTunes or other music and video download sites, Amazon provides backup for its ebooks on its own site; if your Kindle device is broken or destroyed, Amazon keeps a complete record of your purchased books and will send them to a new device, so unlike DRM-protected iTunes songs which were needlessly difficult to transfer among the various devices that would want to use them, Kindle books make perfect sense.

A regular book comes with its own analog mechanism for rights management in the fact that it is very difficult to make a copy of a book.

As for the $9.99 price point, it is very low and it provides incentives for people to buy Kindles and to buy more books. Nobody wants to pay $300 for the device and then pay the same for an ebook as for a hardcover.

And if Amazon winds up creating a price equilibrium where ebooks cost less than hardcovers, even without subsidies from Amazon, it's still good for publishers. The marginal cost of an ebook is zero. The marginal cost of a hardcover is significant; the thing has to be printed and bound and shipped, and publishers spend a lot of marketing dollars on cash bribes to bookstore chains for front-table placement. And then there is the possibility of the publisher eating the cost of returns from stores.

What publishers are concerned about is that, if ebooks get a big enough chunk of the market share, then smaller companies will be able to cut in on their action for e-book only releases, since there will be less need for bookstore connections and supply chain, and other firms may be able to provide the same or better marketing and promotional expertise to authors.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm.

Publishers are staring at the digital revolution in the face. And they don't know how to adapt. Neither did newspapers. They are dying. It is not that I believe that Kindle is better than a paperback book. It is not. However, the book as a form of media is becoming what the song as a form of media has become. Consider ...

The thing is, with music, there was a big consumer incentive to switch from media to digital distribution.

An iPod is a significantly more convenient device than CD players; CD players require a much larger device with fragile moving parts and an optical mechanism for reading the disc that sucks a lot of battery power, and a portable device can only contain a single album.

By contrast, an iPod allows a sizable music collection to be carried in a small handheld device, and modern devices use perfectly skip-free solid state memory.

This allows a lot of convenience, in terms of moving a sizable music collection easily among the home, the car and other places. It also gives people new ways to interact with their music collections, such as the popular shuffle feature, playlists, and the new Genius feature.

So the technology offers a much better user experience than the traditional media.

From a reader's perspective, the best the Kindle can ever hope to do is match the convenience of a paperback book. And even if it could do that, why would anyone use this instead of reading a paperback, when the device requires a significant investment. The only way Kindle succeeds is if ebooks are significantly cheaper than hardcovers.

And even with attractive discounts on books, I can't imagine it will be possible for the foreseeable future to market a device like this to readers who purchase fewer than 25 books a year.

Books (I use the general term) are the same way. Books were/are printed. Agents and publishers hustled to get out their and market them. And so on. However, now what Amazon does is flip the model (as noted by the OP). Eventually, Amazon, like Apple, wants to become market leader in that knowledge space. And eventually, it wants publishers to cowtow to the company. That would be the long term strategy. It worked for Apple. It also worked for Wal-mart with regards to how it works with the brands and companies that stock its stores.

It's hard to see how Amazon is being a bad guy here, especially not from an author or a reader's perspective. If you don't want a kindle, nobody is forcing you to buy one. If you read enough books that the discounts on ebooks offset the cost of the device, the Kindle is a great option. And people who have Kindles probably wind up buying a lot more books, due to the instant gratification of electronic distribution and the relatively cheap ebook price point.

Publishers are concerned because their main reason for existing and the primary reason authors need them is that they control the supply chains through which books are printed, bound and distributed, and they have the relationships with national and regional bookstore chains that can get the book stocked on bookstore shelves.

Ebooks do not require physical books or bookstores, and therefore diminish the value of the publisher to the author. A lot of smaller companies could offer comparable marketing, promotion and editorial services to authors and leave the author with a much bigger chunk of the sales.

But e-books offer a bonanza of promotional opportunities. Authors have gotten tons of free exposure to tens of thousands of readers by giving away free ebooks (which cost nothing).

The Kindle may also create new commercial market for things like short stories and poems which are conventionally hard to sell.

How is the paradigm changing? Books with DRM so you only get a certain number of reads? Amazon turning the book into something you subscribe to rather than own. Once you've read it, say, 5 times, that's it. You have to buy it again. Like the failed DVD format from 5 to 7 years ago that Spielberg and a few movie companies pushed (DIVM or something like that DIVX). You rented the DVD and it shut off after 48 hours. My sense is that model as it did then won't wash in the future.

DRM as a boogeyman or the specter of onerous restrictions is a problem that has failed to materialize. The limited-use DVD formats were meant to be marketed as a video rental that you could throw away instead of returning. Nobody was trying to put restrictions on anybody's media purchases, and consumers can just buy paper books instead if they think Amazon is trying to screw them.

DVDs, however, do have some fairly onerous copy protection on them, which is really annoying for people who want to watch a movie they own on DVD on an ipod.

Reality is this: follow the money. Money's driving this whole discussion. If a juggernaut like Amazon is willing to take a loss, plus infect the tomes with DRM, then something bigger is on the horizon.

Amazon is eating a loss on the books to make a profit on the devices. Publishers don't really understand yet whether Kindles are expanding the reader market or cannibalizing it, but publishers don't really care, because, either way, the existence of Kindle devalues what they do.

Deleted member 42

I don't blame Amazon at all for the DRM. A book file would be so small that Kindle books could be easily swapped as e-mail attachments. These files aren't meant to be shared or switched among multiple devices. They are designed to be used on a Kindle.

Actually, they are meant to be read on iPhones and iPods; Amazon itself created the Kindle application and gives it away.

Further, unlike with iTunes or other music and video download sites, Amazon provides backup for its ebooks on its own site; if your Kindle device is broken or destroyed, Amazon keeps a complete record of your purchased books and will send them to a new device, so unlike DRM-protected iTunes songs which were needlessly difficult to transfer among the various devices that would want to use them, Kindle books make perfect sense.

This is incorrect.

1. Apple does provide two free opportunities to completely download your entire purchase history. You need to go through Apple Support, but it's a five minute phone call.

2. Even when iTunes purchases were covered by DRM, you could share your library with anyone you wanted via their computer--for five individuals at a time.

3. There were no restrictions on multiple supported devices, at all. You could have your iTunes library on multiple iPhones and iPods. This was done deliberately to make it easier for shared family libraries and for educational institutions to do bulk licensing and pre-load iPods for students.

A regular book comes with its own analog mechanism for rights management in the fact that it is very difficult to make a copy of a book.

I can photo copy a 300 page printed book using a special photocopier in 45 minutes or less. I can in fact legally make infinite copies of a book that I have purchased; I just can't sell or distribute them in book form.

The marginal cost of an ebook is zero. The marginal cost of a hardcover is significant; the thing has to be printed and bound and shipped, and publishers spend a lot of marketing dollars on cash bribes to bookstore chains for front-table placement. And then there is the possibility of the publisher eating the cost of returns from stores.

This is also inaccurate; the book is crudely typeset for the screen; although much of the file conversion is automated, it is still hand-checked. Secondly, the tools for converting the file are expensive, as are the necessary storage and distribution and tracking systems. After n copies of x book have been sold then the book is in fact remarkably less expensive; the longer the book in the same file format remains viable, the cheaper it gets--which is why other ebook distributors have routinely lowered the prices of books when the paperback is released (assuming hardcover and digital release on date and day or close) and while a book that remains viable continues to be slightly reduced in price.

What publishers are concerned about is that, if ebooks get a big enough chunk of the market share, then smaller companies will be able to cut in on their action for e-book only releases, since there will be less need for bookstore connections and supply chain, and other firms may be able to provide the same or better marketing and promotional expertise to authors.

This is also false; ebook rights are contractual now, and the publisher is still the publisher; no one is "cutting in on their action." Although I can buy multiple ebook versions of a given title, the publisher gets income from all of them, as does the author. The ebook distributor and converter functions as a retailer, much like many bookstores sell the same book, and often, at different price points.

Publishers are actually enthusiastic about ebooks, and have been in the twenty years I've been in the industry. Ebook only titles are at least 20 years old. They're not that scary. Publishers like Random househave been making ebook only titles for quite some time. It's just a rights issue. Publishers are reasonably concerned about three things:

1. Theft--hence DRM. I just think that there are better ways to deal with it than Amazon is using.

2. Production and Costs--Converting and storing the digital file is a cost, and has some technical difficulties; for instance, there have been three distinct Kindle file formats, and publishers or Amazon have had to convert Kindle books twice to the new format.

3. Longevity--Digital data is still not that easy to archive; files have to be checked, media has to be checked, and as hardware changes, so do files. These are ongoing costs.

Last edited by a moderator:

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Medievalist wrote, I can photo copy a 300 page printed book using a special photocopier in 45 minutes or less. I can in fact legally make infinite copies of a book that I have purchased; I just can't sell or distribute them in book form.

That's an interesting observation. Now, can you legally sell digital copies of the book - ie, electronic copies - provided you own at least a copy of the book in some form? Essentially what I'm looking at here is a secondary reseller or "used book" store model.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.