Status
Not open for further replies.

GirlwiththeBraids

Chillax! It's just me.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.readingtomyself.blogspot.com
Some people write because it's fun. Others write because they need the money. Why do you write? I think it's definitely fun to create a new world of characters, settings, scenes, and my favorite part, conversations. : )

Looking at others' writing styles and techniques keep a lot of authors' minds reeling for beginnings and endings to their own stories. Is that why you read? For inspiration? Or strictly for fun?

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Because I read Twilight and it completely changed my life.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Because I like to eat. Electricity is nice, too.

Also, I enjoy it.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... 'cause I'm no good at anything else. Not that I'm that good at writing, either. Still, I ain't awful at it as I am at other things, giving me hope that with much effort and continued practise I may achieve a small degree of success.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
In real life I'm a bossy controlling tyrant but everyone totally ignores me (or has me on Ignore), so instead I enjoy telling my characters what to do and how to do it. One day the scum will revolt and rise up against me, but I'll be ready for them -- I have other characters waiting in the wings that they don't know about yet.

-Derek

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Because I'm incurably nosy and I can butt into my characters' lives in ways that would get me arrested in real life.

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
I write fiction because one day, a story came up to me while I was waiting to get on a plane and demanded I write it. Since then, they've been queuing up.

Other writing is mainly to pay the bills.

2old2pb

This Is Serious Mum!
Registered
Reaction score
I write to convince myself that I'm human.

Leenda

Registered
Reaction score
With my current WIP - I write because I am DETERMINED to finish the damn thing. (Six years, three computers, four houses, two cities have gone by in my life but I STILL have my baby!)
I like to write. Even though I also wonder if I have other stories to tell. Surely I do - guess I'll keep writing to find out!
And sometimes I write for my job. In lots of varied forms. :)

Mad Queen

California Mountain Snake
Registered
Reaction score
Because I feel like other people might enjoy this story.

barbilarry

I just wanna write
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It gives me a really fantastic excuse to be a recluse.

Jane

thomprecision

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonprecisionball.com
For reasons mentioned here, inability not to write, and sanity.

My mind has too many thoughts in a day for me to feel okay just ignoring them all. I have to record them to know that they weren't in vain, and that my perspective, experience, and knowledge is progressing at some level.

With those thoughts come along characters, dialogue, scenarios, blog posts, book ideas, etc. etc. They are just there to make it easier to "get" the ideas behind them.

K. Andrew Smith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kandrewsmith.blogspot.com
Because I've read thousands upon thousands of novels, and in the past few years I've started to come up with great ideas. After realizing that nobody was going to psychically pull these ideas out of my brian and write the novels for my enjoyment, I decided that I would have to write them.

Pepper

I IS PRANCING
Registered
Reaction score
Website
houseofpeppers.blogspot.com
I have a slightly different answer to others here. I've never read a book or watched a movie that made me go weak at the knees with excitement. My favourite books and movies are pretty damn good books and movies, but they had room for improvement. I want to write a story (preferably storIES) that I adore, something that is right up my alley, my cuppa tea and makes me go weak at the knees. Heck, if I piddle myself a little with glee, I'm fulfilled.

Haven't done that yet, so I keep writing. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.