Random Question: What's the shortest time in which you've written a book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm just curious: what's the shortest amount of time you've ever spent writing a complete book? I'm not talking about after you've edited and proofread it and all the other stuff you would normally do after you're done writing the initial draft. Rather, I'm interested in knowing the shortest amount of time you've ever spent writing a complete first draft of a book, if anyone would like to share :). Were you pleased with the final result?

There's no particular reason why I'm asking-- I'm just curious, that's all. ;)
And if you must know, I can't contribute to the thread because I've never written a complete *book*, but I'd really like to hear from those who have. :)

*BTW, I hope this hasn't been asked before. I honestly searched through the forums and couldn't find anything directly related, but if this is a duplicate thread, I apologize.

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
12 days for a 65K Harlequin/Silhoutte ms. I was happy with it. The editors were happy enough with it to ask for a full, but rejected it for reasons I don't remember. Personalized rejection, IIRC.

Haven't had the time to dive into a story like that since, though. Don't know if I could do it again.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Seven weeks for about 100k words. I just finished a new, 85k book in around the same amount of time. But that's also out of ten complete novels, so my average time is a bit higher. :)

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
4 weeks, 70k words.

Needless to say, the revisions are taking a loooooooooooooong time. :D

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
KTC wins! :D

Me - three weeks. But it sucked and the ashes of the manuscript have since been buried in an unmarked grave.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
5 weeks for about 65K words. Ish. And I was very burned out by the end, I don't think I'm supposed to write that fast.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
You guys that did it so fast, do you have jobs? How many hours a day was this?

I think my wife is fantastic for letting me have 3 hours a day to write!

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
About 4 months for a first draft (YA, 70,000K).

I work full time.

Travis J. Smith

Witty User Title.
Registered
Reaction score
Wrote my first novel in somewhere around 4 weeks during a summer. I'll never zip through a novel like that for my own sake and for my readers' sakes again. The novel remains on my bookshelf as a reminder of everything not to do. If it weren't so helpful in that respect, I'd burn it, and I am more than a little against book burning.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Since I can't be the only one this thread is making feel incompetent...
I wrote 'The End' on my first novel in about 11 months (186k words), and so far it's taken me 3 more months to edit less than half of it & cut as much as needs to be cut. So I'm guessing roughly 18 months start to finish.

42 hours? *falls over*

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
24 days I think. I hit 50K at 21 days one NaNo, and I think I finished on Thanksgiving a few days later.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You guys that did it so fast, do you have jobs? How many hours a day was this?

I think my wife is fantastic for letting me have 3 hours a day to write!

I do novel marathons. There's one taking place from this Friday to Monday, actually. Muskoka Novel Marathon. It'll be the first one I don't attend in three years. I love writing like this so much that I find it hard now to write any other way. I sit in my chair and write the whole thing out in 48 hours or less. It's an amazing trip. I would encourage anybody to try it...at least once!

AnonymousWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I do novel marathons. There's one taking place from this Friday to Monday, actually. Muskoka Novel Marathon. It'll be the first one I don't attend in three years. I love writing like this so much that I find it hard now to write any other way. I sit in my chair and write the whole thing out in 48 hours or less. It's an amazing trip. I would encourage anybody to try it...at least once!

What? You weren't kidding about the 42-hour thing? I thought you were joking.

That's insane. I admire you for doing those things though.

I think I'd need about three months recovery time after doing one of those.

Just out of interest, how did it turn out? Was it editable, or one to hide under your bed?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
What? You weren't kidding about the 42-hour thing? I thought you were joking.

That's insane. I admire you for doing those things though.

I think I'd need about three months recovery time after doing one of those.

Just out of interest, how did it turn out? Was it editable, or one to hide under your bed?

I did it in 2007 and won the Best Adult Novel award. And I did it again in 2008 and won the Best Adult Novel award again. Both novels are with publishers...being considered for publication. We submit the novels to the contest at the end of the weekend...without editing them. They go to a panel of industry judges. Then about two months later we have a wrap party and the winners are announced....at that time the winner has another 2 months to edit their manuscript and then it goes on to a publisher for consideration. So you write the novel over a weekend in July...and if you win the contest it's on the publisher's desk in November.

It's absolutely amazing. If you go to the link I posted there's a picture page and also a page with comments on past marathons. I'm not going to this weekend's marathon because I'm going to a writing program in Nairobi this December. I'm saving every penny...but I am REALLY going to miss this year's marathon. It's phenomenal. (-;

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Since I can't be the only one this thread is making feel incompetent...

No need to feel that way. We're all different. And some of us do this every day for a paycheck.

90,000 words(ballpark) in twenty-one days.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
No need to feel that way. We're all different. And some of us do this every day for a paycheck.

90,000 words(ballpark) in twenty-one days.

Nah, I was kidding about feeling incompetent. Sorta at least. :kiss:
I have a day job and a two year old. I do what I can do :)

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome stuff! I don't think I could ever write an entire book in some of the times y'all have, but thanks for all the replies! Please keep 'em coming! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.