Submission Questions

D.A.G.

I enjoy the mad world.
Registered
Reaction score
Though I have queried over twenty agents by now in my search for representation, I am still at a loss when it comes to sending multiple requests on the first query (i.e. the agent requests you send a query, synopsis, and sample pages, etc.).

Are you expected to send your standard query letter (considering mine is three paragraphs only about my MS, in which the plot is summarized) and then right after have the synopsis (which is essentially an extension of my query letter)? Or should one say something like in a cover letter (title, genre, word count) and then have their full synopsis and sample pages?

While I don't wish to go against the agent's requirements, I don't want to be redundant either and hit people over the head with my MS.

Thank you in advance for your responses; I hope my question makes sense.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Be redundant. In my query letter I only had a few sentences as a hook...the synopsis when I was asked for one was slightly longer and of course the number of pages for the submission. Be aware that sometimes a reader/ agent assistant may only be handed the synopsis and the first few pages...It may be separated from the query letter FYI.

starlight

Registered
Reaction score
Personally I think that three paragraphs summarizing the manuscript in the query letter is a bit much. In order to see what I mean, find websites that have samples of good query letters. You will be shocked by how quickly your mind will go numb even reading these good query letters. Then imagine an agent reading yours after having just read about a dozen others.

I'm no expert, but I have done a lot of reading up on writing query letters, and after having written and sent out quite a few that met with nothing but rejections, I have finally crafted one that is getting me requests for partials. No one has offered me representation yet, but at least I feel that I have at last learned a thing or two about the query letter itself.

What has worked for me is a three paragraph approach. First paragraph is a hook. Only about 4 or 5 sentences. It does't explain the plot of the story, just lets them know about the two main characters, about the central conflict and leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

Second paragraph tells the crucial information--word count, genre, title, setting for the story, time period. I also sneak in there the fact that I have done a lot of research for the story and try to highlight how my story is different from run of the mill titles in that genre.

Third paragraph--This would be the bio, but since I have no impressive credentials, I simply thank them for their time and let them know I look forward to their response. Unless of course they specifically ask for a bio, in which case I have to say something and try my best not to sound too lame. Also, if they have requested additional materials, i.e. synopsis, first chapter, etc. I put a statement about that in the last paragraph. "In accordance with your submission guidelines I am including..." That ensures that they will scroll down and notice the extra material. It also lets them know that I read their guidelines and am sending what they asked for--not sending stuff just for the heck of it.

I have two synopses. If they ask for a detail synopsis, I send the five page one that gives a really complete picture of the story including subplots. If they ask for a brief synopis, I send the one and half page one that focuses only on the two main characters.

I hope this helps.

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
I include exactly what the guidelines say--if it says "query, synopsis, and 5 sample pages," I include the regular query, then the complete synopsis, then the five pages.

Well, I usually put my pages before the synopsis, since I'd prefer the agent read those first. ;)

D.A.G.

I enjoy the mad world.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I guess I'm going to do another query rewrite (long due anyway) and send it along with the synopsis and samples. Three cheers for Query Hell...