PDA

View Full Version : Traumatized by lying, cheating publishers

SheliaRudesill
06-26-2005, 02:27 AM
I just read Uncle Jim’s essay on PublishAmerica (actually it was a rebuttle to an authors letter. Sorry, I can't find the link now.) I so badly wanted to post a positive response but there is none.

Yes, my second novel was published by PA and I’m suffering all the pains of that decision. My novel “Auspicious Dreams” rivals TNT’s “Into the West” and is written well enough to follow in the footsteps of this and other great epic legends. But it contains too many grammatical errors (5 major and 18 minor so far) to even appear to be legitimate.

My question is this: Can this Phoenix rise from the ashes?

Will an agent touch me with a ten foot pole to help get this story to the TV or silver screen?

I contacted PA with a request for help and was told it was entirely up to me.

My first novel was published by a small press with a wonderful niche, I thought at the time, but they went bankrupt and deposited the remainder of the 500 book first print run on my doorstep. (230 books had been sold pre-publication.) Without a publishing company I can’t get the remainder of the books to Ingram and without a book catalogue book buyers don’t know I’m alive. I spent from 1999 to 2003 with this company to get my first novel in shape. In 2004, just weeks after I was published, the press died. Since then I've given away more than 50 copies for promotion and sold 50 more or so on consignment to book, novelty and even wine shops. 75 copies were donated to charities as fund raisers. I still have about 90 left.

Both novels have received excellent reviews, so, for once I’m not being self-effacing but honest about my work. My novels are good. My resume stinks!

What can I do now? What would you do?

A traumatized author,
Shelia

James D. Macdonald
06-26-2005, 02:47 AM
For the novel that got deposited on your doorstep:

Consider selling it via Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/misc/sell-your-stuff.html/

I presume you have the rights back? Try querying agents. With only about 250 out there, it counts as essentially unpublished (as in, not a proven flop), although if it sells you'd only get reprint money for it. Take the cash.

For the PublishAmerica book -- you're well and truly screwed. Sorry about that.

Try to sell the book that's reverted to you and write and market a new book. Run out the clock on the PA book (don't buy any copies).

Only approach publishers whose books you have seen with your own eyes on the shelves in bookstores.

A useful agent has sold books you've heard of.

Best of luck to you.

icerose
06-26-2005, 05:10 AM
Hi Sheila,
I feel your pain. The two books I have with Publish America are first books in series! I refuse to buy my book and am biding my time. One of the books I have with an agent for a movie deal, so I am hoping it will sell that way. Other than that I am focusing on other books. I do hope to get both books out (especially as they tie up entire series!) and published with a better place but only time will tell. I would definately suggest though working on other books because as long as PA has their claws in them, nothing much we can do but either work on the other rights or wait.

Sara

SheliaRudesill
06-26-2005, 06:39 AM
So, how do I work on movie or TV rights? How can I attract an agent? What did you do, icerose, to get an agents attention?

Unfortunately, I don't "know" anyone in the industry as I see in so many writer's acknowledgements -- "Thanks to my brother-in-law who works for Puttman" or "In appreciation to my ex-next door neighbor who has written four best sellers and now resides in her 450,000 sq. ft. house in the south of France."

Sorry, I'm having a bad day. It seems that years of work and creativity has just been flushed down the toilet.

James D. Macdonald
06-26-2005, 06:45 AM
Information about Agents (http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2005/01/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about.asp)

Follow the links.

icerose
06-26-2005, 06:58 AM
So, how do I work on movie or TV rights? How can I attract an agent? What did you do, icerose, get an agents attention?

Unfortunately, I don't "know" anyone in the industry as I see in so many writer's acknowledgements -- "Thanks to my brother-in-law who works for Puttman" or "In appreciation to my ex-next door neighbor who has written four best sellers and now resides in her 450,000 sq. ft. house in the south of France."

Sorry, I'm having a bad day. It seems that years of work and creativity has just been flushed down the toilet.

I was the lucky exception Shelia, I "know" an agent. We had been friends for over a year, she decided to become an agent, she picked up my book for movie rights only and I and another writer turned it into a script and she is now shopping it hoping for a deal and we are both hoping for the best.

Don't get too discouraged, they may currently own the rights to your book, but they don't own your creativity. You can try as I am to sell the movie rights, but I would also suggest working on new books. I just finished two more novels and am in the process of editing and getting them out there. Don't put your hopes in any one book, the more you have out there, the better you chances are of breaking through and drawing some attention.

:)

Good luck and keep me updated, I would love to know how it all works out.

Sara

Ronda
06-27-2005, 07:30 AM
OUCH I am so sorry that happened to you! Don't let it stop you writing and moving forward.

to borrow something from one of Terry Goodkind's characters, never focus on the problem. Focus on the solution. J. Grisham and S. King had lots of books rejected before they sold their first. Then they were hot stuff and their earlier works sold. Maybe it will be the same for y ou -- if you keep writing and working toward other completing other projects. :D

Warmly,
Ronda

SheliaRudesill
06-28-2005, 02:37 AM
Thanks to everyone for info and especially empathy!

I'm working on several other projects as well as taking out time everyday to promote my two novels now in print and to find a publisher for my third novel. I'm heavy into research for my forth novel and have had 2 short stories accepted for the upcoming "A Cup of Comfort for Nurses," an anthology to accompany other "Cup of Comfort" books. I've also just entered another short story in a contest and another one in the anthology, "Our Mothers Who Art in Heaven."

Just today, I received notification that 2 Western magazines want to review "Auspicious Dreams." I may not get 5 stars for grammar (PA book) but I'm hoping for 5 stars on story telling! (Midwest Book Review already gave it a 5 star rating and didn't mention the mistakes!)

Everyday brings new challenges and adventures in this world of writing! I wish all of us great success!

Shelia