REAL LIFE Inspiration

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Journey

Professional Novice
Registered
Reaction score
What TRUE LIFE romance or event has inspired you? Here's mine.

My first job was waiting at an assisted living facility. Walking into that dining hall amidst the smell of Kale and cottage cheese I witnessed something that has marked me forever, like a cut but deeper.

A bent old man and his equally stooped wife were making slow progress over to their table, hobbling along at a mile a millennium. The silver walkers beat out a little cadence on a floor that had seen better years. Probably too cynical, I was shocked at the tenderness in his eyes when he looked at his gnarled wife. When they arrived at their table, he placed his walker to the side, pulled her chair out, and helped her get seated. It noticeably took much effort on his part. She smiled up at him. He grinned back as he held onto the table until he could sit down himself. They didn’t speak, but kept that look on their faces until finally they joined hands to pray before their meal.

I was dumbfounded. Scenes like this have to be written! I never found the director of that moment in time, nor have I seen something like it since, but that day is the reason I believe romance must exist.

findinglove

That is so sweet!
I used to work as data entry for a home health company, and my office window faced onto the care center next door. Every morning when I would come into the office, I'd see an elderly man pushing his wheelchair-bound wife around the front yard of the center, like a morning walk. They would stop in the front, talk for a few moments, then he'd take her back inside.
When she passed away, he would still do the same thing, every day. Take her wheelchair outside and talk as though she were there. Who knows? Maybe she was.
For some reason, I just couldn't resist sharing that. The power of love is truly amazing.

-Amanda

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
In high school I had an art class with a short, delicate, quietly energetic girl who reminded me of a bird. She and I were in the same group assigned to make a video about some art history, and the movie was made at her house. She had talked her boyfriend into helping, which was the first time I knew she had a boyfriend. He was almost a foot and a half taller than her and built like I football player, but he treated her completely like an equal. (I've always been kind of scared of big broad guys myself, and she was smaller than me, so I was astonished to see how totally safe she felt with him.) He didn't grumble about using his weekend to help with her class project - he was happy to be doing it just because he was doing it with her. :)

I observed them whenever I saw them together after that, and it's the clearest example of true love I have ever seen - he brought her a dozen gorgeous roses on Valentine's day, and they got engaged when they graduated, and married not too long after that. So the image of their relationship is probably always there in the back of my mind when I'm imagining two characters in love - possibly this is even why I usually pair a tall, broad-shouldered character with a much shorter delicate slender one.

Status
Not open for further replies.