• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta reader for Historical Gothic Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalongod

Registered
Reaction score
Hi:

I'm in the process of working on a historical gothic mystery set in 15th Century Florence. The 50-cent synopsis is below (I don't have an elegant cover letter version yet). Tentatively the novel is called "Suicide Kings".

Diana Savrano is a 19-year old woman grieving her recently deceased mother. Diana's world is cracked open when a nun informs her that her mother did not die of natural causes but was murdered. Determined to find the truth, Diana plunges headlong into the city's dark side, populated by assassins, prophets, mad clerics and the unholy cult at the center of it all. As her investigation moves forward, Diana must decide if she truly wants to know the truth...even if it means learning that her father is responsible or that, ultimately, her mother took her own life.

That's what I can come up with on the spot. For history buffs out there, the story is set during the brief reign of the Friar Savonarola in 1497 (the Bonfire of the Vanities).

I'd appreciate an honest appraisal, including writing errors, but also what does and doesn't work in the story. I'd like to think I keep my ego in moderation and don't at all mind constructive criticism (I've learned a lot from past beta readers on past works). I don't mind the occasional complement of course! As for writing creds, I've done a lot of non-fiction work, books and academic articles, and I do have about a half dozen short-story publications, so I don't think I'd be completely wasting your time.

Naturally I'm happy to reciprocate the beta reading. I figure 1 chapter a week, exchanged. I'm about halfway done with the book, so would appreciate some early input...and having a reader waiting for more chapters would help motivate as well.

Please PM me or email at [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.