What personality characteristics do you think are found in a good fiction writer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Backward OX

XO drawkcaB ehT
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
There is probably some correlation, some link or connection, between temperament/personality and talent.

Edited for detail:
For example, would an inattentive and daydreaming loner find it harder than say an outgoing, perceptive and gregarious type?

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe there is.

More to do with personality than talent: stubborn; hard working; and a great instinct for a story (rarer than you would imagine!)

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
I'm both styles, I always have been. Right from being small, I was always a daydreamer and always liked the things I could do on my own, writing, drawing, listening to music etc. I am quite anti-social within my own four walls and hate visitors dropping in.
But when I'm with my friends and family, at the times I want to be sociable, I am the loudest and most extrovert person there. I'm usually the centre of attention and making everyone laugh - that's much easier in real life than it is on the net, that's for sure. :D

For example, would an inattentive and daydreaming loner find it harder than say an outgoing, perceptive and gregarious type?

GD Marks

...One in a Million...
Registered
Reaction score
I don't personally know any! So anything I say is hypothetical.

But I think close observation, and the ability to empathise must be good assets. And the determination to write 100k words.

gdm

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
All of the Myers-Briggs Types can succeed in writing to some degree -- except perhaps for the stronger extraverts.

If you're writing extensively it helps to be an introvert. You need to take energy from being alone, because mostly, that's all you have. Extraversion is perhaps the least helpful trait for a writer -- if you live for the buzz of bouncing off people, don't spend hours in a room by yourself writing. :)

If you're writing about complex characters or ideas, it helps to be intuitive -- to understand what is unstated; to see connections between unrelated things. But if you're writing about facts and practicalities, it helps to be sensate -- to focus on examples, and to put things into practical order. Literature is the art of ideas, and generally speaking the most successful writers have strong intuitions, but it's a writer's knowledge of sensation that allows the writer to show and not tell.

If you're writing about how, what and when and where, you need to be logical. If you're writing about who and why and so what, you need to be emotional. Good writing usually needs both, but of the two feeling is more important. Some successful writing has holes a mile wide, but there is no successful writing where the writer doesn't understand the reader.

If you're writing about possibilities, it helps to be perceiving -- to see what might be, rather than what is, or is not. But if you want to edit well, meet deadlines and manage your time well, it helps to be judging -- to make plans and stick to them. Literature that changes the world tends to be written by perceiving types, but they need strong judgement to finish what they start.

But none of these traits will help if you don't read, don't write and don't persist.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The most important personality traits and characteristics for a writer are supreme intelligence, sparkling wit, charisma, and an obvious but controlled sexuality.

That's why I'm so good at what I do.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
For fiction writers, someone who thinks in stories and is willing to be seduced into telling them.

Able to string together sentences in a coherent thought.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Edited for detail:

NO.

An inattentive daydreaming loner may have a great voice...and may be able to capture a great deal in fiction. Whereas an obnoxious blowhard uber intellectual may be able to capture bland nothingness in fiction. Or vice versa. I can imagine a crack ho having scads to tell...but can she tell it? An obnoxious in your face astronaut writing great fiction? It's not entirely out of this world. What of the little old lady who lives down the lane, with only cats to amuse her? meow, baby.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Good" is so subjective, it's impossible to say. All successful fiction writers have at least one trait in common: they follow through--finishing the work and marketing it in the first place.

After that, it's all up for grabs as far as I can tell.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
The writers I've met have run the gamut from shy and introspective to outgoing and gregarious. I don't think there's any one type of writer.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Adaptability.
Discipline.
The ability, willingness, and desire to learn.

It also helps if you're not a self-absorbed moron.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
alcoholism Perseverance.

The ability to learn from yourself and others.

More alcoholism perseverance.

If alcoholism is the main requirement, I have that sewed up.

To quote the exchange between the main characters of 1408.

"Gerald Olin: You do drink don't you?
Mike Enslin: Of course. I just said I was a writer. "

Reaction score
STOP THE PRESS! SERIOUS ANSWER FROM SCARLETPEACHES ALERT:

Tenacity and humility.

Tenacity so you never give up.

And humility makes you realise your Golden Prose ain't so golden and there's always room for improvement.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping shy introvert is a ROCKIN' personality trait for a novelist. Also many of the other traits that successful people in all aspects of life tend to have:

Determination
Ambition
Drive
Stick-to-it-iveness (that's, like, finish what you start)

Status
Not open for further replies.