Using art for inspiration?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Something new I realized about myself, I can really get my creative juices flowing when I witness art, just about any art will do, not really sure why.
Found it out when I was browsing the coverart for the AnthologyBuilder contest, my mind was just supplying stories to go with the pictures as I went along, was kinda freaky 0.0

Do you guys ever do that? Just browse through art so it can inspire you to write?

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Definitely.
I like to browse through the fantasy art at Elfwood, or my favorite artists' websites.
Sometimes just pictures of nature, or architecture, are great inspiration.

I snapped this picture when I was snowmobiling in the Snowy Range. The atmosphere, the feeling, it was something I wanted to capture and keep. A cold sun through the trees.

It's so easy to imagine my characters there.

Oops. Forgot how big that picture was; have to use a thumbnail.

bagels

Wannabe Intellectual
Registered
Reaction score
I go to art museums regularly. My personal favorite here in Los Angeles is the Huntington as they do a phenomenal job of giving background for the pieces on display. The stories behind the a lot of the paintings are fascinating (and sometimes would be interesting even without the painting).

dnic

Resident Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
four-lettered-words.blogspot.com
Huntington is fabulous and a very good source for inspirations.

I definitely do get inspired when I look at art, though not necessarily for writing. I find it works other way around too. I do get inspired to draw from writings as well.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Most definitely, in my forum I have a section just for this. I supply pictures of various things to help inspire writers into something...even if it doesn't help with what you are currently writing, I think it is a great excercise!

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Oh yes! All kinds of romantic, fantasy art, but I am really inspired by architecture and nature, and art that includes those two things. My desktop pictures are often a combination of the two. I also have lots of architectural pictures from calendars on the wall. I don't know what it is about them - I guess they give me a place to imagine my story taking place in.

perfect example:

Fantasy-Women-42963.jpg

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Something new I realized about myself, I can really get my creative juices flowing when I witness art, just about any art will do, not really sure why.
Found it out when I was browsing the coverart for the AnthologyBuilder contest, my mind was just supplying stories to go with the pictures as I went along, was kinda freaky 0.0

Do you guys ever do that? Just browse through art so it can inspire you to write?

I do, yes. Also, I draw my own art for character references, world-building, and other cool aspects of my writing. I thoroughly enjoy drawing and also looking through art online, because it does get my creative juices flowing.

:)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... once worked on a WIP in an art museum, till a security guard began giving me suspicious looks.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Not usually. But I did have an entire short story (I rarely get entire stories at once) pop into my head while looking at a sculpture in a gallery. But it's horror, and it's bee a while since I've written that, so I'm letting it sit in my head for a while.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
2ytvgbc.jpg

I have written six thousand pages of notes inspired by this picture alone. Photography is art as well.

claire

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely - paintings, photographs, poetry, film and stage, sculpture, music. For me, immersing myself in "art" is the best way to get unstuck and/or inspired.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
A picture of the girl in my avatar (actress Emilie De Ravin) inspired me to write The Duchess' Ring. I had no idea what it was going to be about, but I knew that she was the female MC. :) Does that count?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I do, yes. Also, I draw my own art for character references, world-building, and other cool aspects of my writing. I thoroughly enjoy drawing and also looking through art online, because it does get my creative juices flowing.

:)

I wish I could draw my characters but I'm really bad at soft curves and small details.
I can do pretty well as long as it's very geometric, so thing's like city diagrams and objects come out looking at least semi-recognizable :p I don't do too badly at maps when I put my mind to it either.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! I love art of all kinds. My dad and grandpa were both professional painters -- very talented, just incredible artists. So I grew up with a strong appreciation for art. I am a little bit of an artist myself. I paint with watercolors and pastels. I don't have any desire to do it professionally, but I do work hard at it all the same.

Whenever I feel my creative tide ebbing for the writing, I get out and paint plein air, or I go to a museum, or I take a drive and listen to opera. It's a good recharger.

Fragonard's paintings usually give me some ideas for mood and imagery. He was amazing. And I love the mundane/weird contrast of Andew Wyeth. The biggest of the local art museums is having a Wyeth exhibit through the summer. I need to go see!

*sigh* I love art. We're incredible animals, to make such beautiful things just for the sake of beauty.

Ice Zero

Registered
Reaction score
Art inspires me as well. but the one that really keeps that inspiration going is music. Whether it's rock music or video game music, the inspiration keeps on flowing. Without music its much harder...:)

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
My WIP, which is my first attempt to write a novel came about from drawings I had done. I am definitely a painter/illustrator before I am a writer. I came here to learn the writing craft.

It started as a bunch of drawings and writing about alien species of animals. Then the world they came from. After that people started emerging. Then the people started doing stuff and I began taking notes with a pen and lined paper instead of graphite and paint.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Art inspires me as well. but the one that really keeps that inspiration going is music. Whether it's rock music or video game music, the inspiration keeps on flowing. Without music its much harder...:)
I wish I could listen to music, but I can't right now because of (hopefully) temporary tinnitus.

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, I'm ispired by art as well and like Sean D. Schaffer, I like to draw my own characters/creatures/world as it helps me visualize things better. But more than anything, I derive most of my inspiration from music. Every single time I'm listening to music, there will be some lyric that will bounce around in my head and go haywire! That's how a lot of my stories start out-- with something that someone sang in a song. ;)

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I can't draw squat.

I do look online for pictures that could be in my genre. I have an extensive gallery of pictures ranging from elegant to terrifying.