PDA

View Full Version : Using art for inspiration?

LOG
07-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Something new I realized about myself, I can really get my creative juices flowing when I witness art, just about any art will do, not really sure why.
Found it out when I was browsing the coverart for the AnthologyBuilder contest, my mind was just supplying stories to go with the pictures as I went along, was kinda freaky 0.0

Do you guys ever do that? Just browse through art so it can inspire you to write?

Wicked
07-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Yes. Definitely.
I like to browse through the fantasy art at Elfwood, or my favorite artists' websites.
Sometimes just pictures of nature, or architecture, are great inspiration.

I snapped this picture when I was snowmobiling in the Snowy Range. The atmosphere, the feeling, it was something I wanted to capture and keep. A cold sun through the trees.
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2604/coldsungd9.th.jpg (http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=coldsungd9.jpg)
It's so easy to imagine my characters there.

Oops. Forgot how big that picture was; have to use a thumbnail.

bagels
07-13-2009, 08:00 AM
I go to art museums regularly. My personal favorite here in Los Angeles is the Huntington as they do a phenomenal job of giving background for the pieces on display. The stories behind the a lot of the paintings are fascinating (and sometimes would be interesting even without the painting).

dnic
07-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Huntington is fabulous and a very good source for inspirations.

I definitely do get inspired when I look at art, though not necessarily for writing. I find it works other way around too. I do get inspired to draw from writings as well.

Greenify13
07-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Most definitely, in my forum I have a section just for this. I supply pictures of various things to help inspire writers into something...even if it doesn't help with what you are currently writing, I think it is a great excercise!

bettielee
07-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Oh yes! All kinds of romantic, fantasy art, but I am really inspired by architecture and nature, and art that includes those two things. My desktop pictures are often a combination of the two. I also have lots of architectural pictures from calendars on the wall. I don't know what it is about them - I guess they give me a place to imagine my story taking place in.

perfect example:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/bettieleetwo/Fantasy-Women-42963.jpg

LOG
07-13-2009, 09:07 AM
That's a real nice picture betti :)
Got it in a larger size?

Sean D. Schaffer
07-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Something new I realized about myself, I can really get my creative juices flowing when I witness art, just about any art will do, not really sure why.
Found it out when I was browsing the coverart for the AnthologyBuilder contest, my mind was just supplying stories to go with the pictures as I went along, was kinda freaky 0.0

Do you guys ever do that? Just browse through art so it can inspire you to write?

I do, yes. Also, I draw my own art for character references, world-building, and other cool aspects of my writing. I thoroughly enjoy drawing and also looking through art online, because it does get my creative juices flowing.

:)

Fokker Aeroplanbau
07-13-2009, 10:25 AM
I think art, in the form of music, always helps the best.

I don't know why but when I hear good music - I make good writing. At least, writing that looks good to me.

caromora
07-13-2009, 04:37 PM
I've found a lot of inspiration in places like this: http://www.cgsociety.org/ and at my favorite artists' websites.

Caramia
07-13-2009, 04:59 PM
I've found a lot of inspiration in places like this: http://www.cgsociety.org/ and at my favorite artists' websites.

I can spend hours there before I realize it. Excellent spot to get lost in art and renew the muse :)

Ken
07-13-2009, 05:18 PM
... once worked on a WIP in an art museum, till a security guard began giving me suspicious looks.

KTC
07-13-2009, 05:19 PM
I do it ALL THE TIME for poetry. Here's one I did back in January:

Dali Art as Fuel for Poetic Fire (http://wanderingpoetics.wordpress.com/2009/01/07/934/)

jennontheisland
07-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Not usually. But I did have an entire short story (I rarely get entire stories at once) pop into my head while looking at a sculpture in a gallery. But it's horror, and it's bee a while since I've written that, so I'm letting it sit in my head for a while.

Kurtz
07-13-2009, 05:59 PM
http://i31.tinypic.com/2ytvgbc.jpg

I have written six thousand pages of notes inspired by this picture alone. Photography is art as well.

claire
07-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Absolutely - paintings, photographs, poetry, film and stage, sculpture, music. For me, immersing myself in "art" is the best way to get unstuck and/or inspired.

ccarver30
07-13-2009, 08:56 PM
A picture of the girl in my avatar (actress Emilie De Ravin) inspired me to write The Duchess' Ring. I had no idea what it was going to be about, but I knew that she was the female MC. :) Does that count?

LOG
07-14-2009, 09:16 AM
I do, yes. Also, I draw my own art for character references, world-building, and other cool aspects of my writing. I thoroughly enjoy drawing and also looking through art online, because it does get my creative juices flowing.

:)

I wish I could draw my characters but I'm really bad at soft curves and small details.
I can do pretty well as long as it's very geometric, so thing's like city diagrams and objects come out looking at least semi-recognizable :P I don't do too badly at maps when I put my mind to it either.

Libbie
07-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Yes! I love art of all kinds. My dad and grandpa were both professional painters -- very talented, just incredible artists. So I grew up with a strong appreciation for art. I am a little bit of an artist myself. I paint with watercolors and pastels. I don't have any desire to do it professionally, but I do work hard at it all the same.

Whenever I feel my creative tide ebbing for the writing, I get out and paint plein air, or I go to a museum, or I take a drive and listen to opera. It's a good recharger.

Fragonard's paintings usually give me some ideas for mood and imagery. He was amazing. And I love the mundane/weird contrast of Andew Wyeth. The biggest of the local art museums is having a Wyeth exhibit through the summer. I need to go see!

*sigh* I love art. We're incredible animals, to make such beautiful things just for the sake of beauty.

Ice Zero
07-16-2009, 02:50 AM
Art inspires me as well. but the one that really keeps that inspiration going is music. Whether it's rock music or video game music, the inspiration keeps on flowing. Without music its much harder...:)

Canotila
07-17-2009, 12:46 AM
My WIP, which is my first attempt to write a novel came about from drawings I had done. I am definitely a painter/illustrator before I am a writer. I came here to learn the writing craft.

It started as a bunch of drawings and writing about alien species of animals. Then the world they came from. After that people started emerging. Then the people started doing stuff and I began taking notes with a pen and lined paper instead of graphite and paint.

LOG
07-17-2009, 04:44 AM
Art inspires me as well. but the one that really keeps that inspiration going is music. Whether it's rock music or video game music, the inspiration keeps on flowing. Without music its much harder...:)
I wish I could listen to music, but I can't right now because of (hopefully) temporary tinnitus.

Virector
07-17-2009, 05:33 AM
Yup, I'm ispired by art as well and like Sean D. Schaffer, I like to draw my own characters/creatures/world as it helps me visualize things better. But more than anything, I derive most of my inspiration from music. Every single time I'm listening to music, there will be some lyric that will bounce around in my head and go haywire! That's how a lot of my stories start out-- with something that someone sang in a song. ;)

jodiodi
07-17-2009, 06:06 AM
I can't draw squat.

I do look online for pictures that could be in my genre. I have an extensive gallery of pictures ranging from elegant to terrifying.

Oberon
07-18-2009, 12:30 AM
Here's a challenge: Write a novel using a Hieronymus Bosch painting as inspiration.

Phaeal
07-18-2009, 01:43 AM
Yes. Definitely.
I like to browse through the fantasy art at Elfwood, or my favorite artists' websites.
Sometimes just pictures of nature, or architecture, are great inspiration.

I snapped this picture when I was snowmobiling in the Snowy Range. The atmosphere, the feeling, it was something I wanted to capture and keep. A cold sun through the trees.
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2604/coldsungd9.th.jpg (http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=coldsungd9.jpg)
It's so easy to imagine my characters there.

Oops. Forgot how big that picture was; have to use a thumbnail.

Wow, this is a sweet photo. I'd love to use it as a desktop!

Phaeal
07-18-2009, 01:49 AM
I occasionally go on an art binge and draw my characters. My avatar is one of them.

Photos and paintings of urban settings often inspire me. Hopper's painting of a drugstore at night was the source of one of my favorite shorts, "Geldman's Pharmacy," and old Geldman and his establishment have since gone on to supporting roles in my latest novel.

Ice Zero
07-18-2009, 02:21 AM
I wish I could listen to music, but I can't right now because of (hopefully) temporary tinnitus.
Tinnitus? what's that?

Kurtz
07-18-2009, 02:28 AM
Here's a challenge: Write a novel using a Hieronymus Bosch painting as inspiration.

Right, there's this guy and he's like... damn what the hell... there's things and... and... and stuff

Oberon
07-18-2009, 06:03 AM
Sorry, I just remembered. Dante already did it.

Kurtz
07-18-2009, 06:07 AM
Sorry, I just remembered. Dante already did it.

Well Bosch took Dante and ran with it, Dante was 1521 (IIRC), and Bosch wasn't until the Reformation.

He was still wonderfully fucked up though.

Summonere
07-18-2009, 06:13 AM

Yep. Anything that excites my imagination works. Art seems to do that more often than not, and it doesn't matter the medium.

Sean D. Schaffer
07-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Snipped...

I know I already answered, but I wanted to add something:

I do browse other people's art as well. Some of the most inspirational stuff I have, both for my writing and my own artwork, is other people's artwork. I have lots of different stuff, usually fantasy of some form or another, and sometimes I'll have a painting by an old master that inspires me a lot. In fact, I have quite a few of those downloaded to my computer. They serve as desktop backgrounds, and they do their job of inspiring me very well. :)

Phaeal
07-18-2009, 07:46 PM
I think I'll write a novel where going to Hell means you get translated into a figure in a Bosch painting.

Though the one with all the nekkid people screwing around and reveling in giant fruits, with giant birds and a funky live carousel, that one wouldn't be so bad. Unless one of the giant birds took a dump on you.

Rawiya
04-08-2011, 02:57 AM
I keep a file of interesting pictures I find--people for character inspirations, abstracts for colors, landscapes, sketches... you get the idea. ;)

Here's a site I like to browse: http://www.deviantart.com/