Did Poe Say It? Where?

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I work hard on my research. I do.

I need this quote: "Sleep, those little slices of death; oh how I loath them." The infallible Internet attributes it to Edgar Allen Poe, which works very well with my thang. But the infallible Internet also fails to tell me where the quote is from.

I've Googled it until I am cross-eyed, and I have scanned all the Poe that I have on my shelves. I give up. Can anybody confirm that this is a Poe quote, and where or when he said/wrote/remarked/opined it?

I'm not asking people to go out and do research for me...just if it is something you have already run across I would appreciate your input.

Thank you.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I found at least one reference that claims Poe never said it, instead it's from a movie.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I've not seen that exact quote. I have, however, come across "I don't sleep. I hate those little slices of death." Which I've always liked but have never seen attributed to Poe. When I search the version I'm familiar with, I come up with pages attributing it to the 1959 film adaptation of Journey to the Center of the Earth.

skelly

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Nightmare on Elm Street, alleycat...but they quote it as Poe.

Poe is credited for, "Sleep, those little slices of death. How I loathe them." and Longfellow for, "Sleep... Oh! how I loathe those little slices of death."

But I don't believe you will find it anywhere in Poe's work. Or Longfellow's.

This might be the first ACTUAL place it (or a variant of it) was used:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052948/quotes
You read my mind Kevin. I was waiting to see if anybody else had the Longfellow angle. As awesome as this quote is, you'd think somebody would claim it.

Thanks for your thoughts you guys. All I really need is the ability to definitively attribute the quote to somebody, or simply state that the matter is in question.

Thanks! :)

skelly

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've not seen that exact quote. I have, however, come across "I don't sleep. I hate those little slices of death." Which I've always liked but have never seen attributed to Poe. When I search the version I'm familiar with, I come up with pages attributing it to the 1959 film adaptation of Journey to the Center of the Earth.
Thanks Kathleen. I found that on the link Kevin provided. Before he remembered he hates me and deleted his post :D

alas...

But thanks for the help everybody. I'm curious now as to why so many Internet sites attribute this to Poe. It seems like the FIRST question would be where and when it was said or written.

Thanks for the help.