Let me hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowOwl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I mentioned this to RoseWrites recently, and I wondered if you guys could share some of your insight.

As a young writer, I've tried to gloss over the author's bio because I really don't have any expertology degrees or impressive publishing credits to speak of. However, several agencies I'm interested in specifically request that as part of the proposal, so I'm trying to come up with something decent.

This is understandably an important part of the non-fiction world. Publishers want to be pacified that you're the right person at the right time with the right book.

Did you guys have the same trouble I'm having? Care to share some of your bios? I've turned to the back covers of several books in the same genre as my book, but they were filled with scary words like "professor" and "editor" that don't really help my situation. A particular bestselling book that is written by a nobody like myself doesn't even have an author bio. Go figure. :Wha:

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
What makes you think you're the right person to write this book? Do you have a passion for the subject? Has it been a hobby for any length of time? Have you devoured every work on the subject you can lay your hands on? If "all" you have is an interest in, a dedication to, a passion for, and a deep understanding of a particular topic - that seems like a decent launching pad to me.

Marry the above with your (no doubt) new slants and insights and you should be able to craft a winning proposal.

You can't add letters to the end of your name so let your writing and your ideas carry the day. If both are strong, you should be able to convince a jaded editor that you can do the job.

Good luck.

Taxiday

aka eraser said:
What makes you think you're the right person to write this book? Do you have a passion for the subject? Has it been a hobby for any length of time? Have you devoured every work on the subject you can lay your hands on? If "all" you have is an interest in, a dedication to, a passion for, and a deep understanding of a particular topic - that seems like a decent launching pad to me.

Marry the above with your (no doubt) new slants and insights and you should be able to craft a winning proposal.

You can't add letters to the end of your name so let your writing and your ideas carry the day. If both are strong, you should be able to convince a jaded editor that you can do the job.

Good luck.

An OUTSTANDING REPLY! While your work has to speak for itself, the publisher/editor wants something that will draw the readers to your work. As an example, while I don't have any fancy letters after my name, I have experience in certain fields that show prospective readers that I know something about what I'm writing about. As an example, if I've read every single book about making widgets, then if I write a book about widgets, it means that I've at least done the research.

Status
Not open for further replies.