Querying when you have multiple MCs

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum...

I was wondering if anyone has advice or experience on querying if you have more than one main character in your book. How would you go about it? What's the best way to format a query so you don't misrepresent your characters and book, or confuse agents?

Thanks for the advice :)

Last edited:

justAnotherWriter

Registered
Reaction score
In the faraway and exotic world of Kakapupu, John is fighting evil in the form of giant evil hamsters bent on wiping out mankind. On a day like any other, HKZ-128 assault rifle in one hand and a dead hamster's head in the other, John meets Susan, a tree hugging hippy that wants to love the hamsters, not saughter them. Against all odds, they begin a torrid romance amidst the carnage of boiling hamster blood and bubbling innards. What John and Susan don't realize is that Kragmarok the Death Murderer, king of the hamster horde and the most powerful being in the galaxy, is on his way to Kakapupu in his 29th century battleship, the Karmagra, which is powerful enough to vaporize an entire planet with the push of a button. To survive, John and Susan will have to put aside their differences and do battle with Kragmarok. But can Susan stop hugging trees and loving everything long enough to slay evil hamsters? Buy this awesome book and you'll find out, hippy!!

:)

Last edited:

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Chocobok - I think it depends on your story, genre, and how many MCs you are dealing with. Why not post your query in SYW and see if your format is working?

I queried a book with two MCs and wound up with the following format:
Hook
Summary paragraph for MC #1
Transition - connection between MCs
Summary paragraph for MC #2
Closing/bio

It was rather unconventional, but it did seem to work. The good folks in SYW helped me figure it out and refine it. Give it a try.

ETA: Ah, I see your Query in SYW now. Sorry, you already did this smart thing!

Last edited: