I don't know what the heck my book is, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am hoping you can help me catagorize my recently finished rough draft book. It is titled Town Curfew. Here is a (rough) brief description of the book.

Kendra Jackson is searching for a refuge away from real life. As her life becomes unbearable, she runs, and stumbles across a small town named Kassel Maine. It is small and the people are a bit odd, but it is far enough away from Brandon, her husband, and she takes up the local teaching position. It isn't long before strange things begin to happen and she discovers this town is cursed. The people are trapped at the same age and condition they were since 1802 when the town discovered they had a witch in their midsts, Rhianna Demona. Following the Puritan's ways, and uneffected by the world around them since 1692, they burned her at the stake, but she was real.

Uttering a powerful curse that bound not only the people of the town to this life and confining them to the boundaries of town. In doing so she cheats death, but at a terrible price, forced to live a wretched existence she wanders the forest at night in search of those caught outside after sunset. If touched, they must join her in the forest and haunt the town at night, hungry for more victims. Kendra must find a way to break the spell and stumbles across the guardian, Haress, whose black book she guarded gave the Demona's their power many generations before. Together they must set the town free using an anti-curse and returning the black book to the guardian.

Before she is able to return the book she loses parts of her memory and leaves the town thinking it is all over. She and Brandon pick up the pieces of their lives and work out their problems. Kendra, knows it isn't over yet, even though she can't remember what happened. Through nightmares and visitations by Haress, the trapped guardian, she regains the urgency to help save the people still trapped in the small town.

She returns to the horror of a life draining spell, cast over the inhabitants of the town, bringing immortality to Rhianna and a new life stirs in her womb. Kendra has run out of time, and she must confront Rhianna, or lose everything she and the others have fought for.

This doesn't have a lot of scare factor, at least not to me, athough it does have elements of horror. Maybe its one of those you have to read it to figure it out, but any input would be greatly appreciated. I am the worst at classifying my own books!

I was going to submit this to Penguin and Putnam's DAW sci-fi section but it doesn't appear to fit science fiction as someone else pointed out.
Thanks

Sara

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hi Sara, :)

From what I've been told, a genre classification is mostly just a marketing tool--your agent and/or publisher are the folks that really have to worry about it. Offhand, though, it does sound more like horror than anything else.

Sounds like a pretty cool book!

Last edited:

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
MacAllister said:
Hi Sara, :)

From what I've been told, a genre classification is mostly just a marketing tool--your agent and/or publisher are the folks that really have to worry about it. Offhand, though, it does sound more like horror than anything else.

Sounds like a pretty cool book!

Yeah, the only reason why I am so concerned about it, is I want to send it to the right people. I was orginally going to send it to Penguin and Putnam's Sci-fi devision, but someone told me it was not Sci-fi and I would just get a rejection letter saying it doesn't fit our program. I will start researching horror then.

Thanks, now to get it all edited :)

Thanks again for your input.

Sara

wideawakesoh

McAllister's right, you shouldn't worry about classifying your book, just tell your story and other people will make of it what they will. You're right, its definitely not sci-fi, its horror. Good luck with your submission, but you might want to try something else if you're looking to publish it as a specific genre. But if you are, always keep in mind that horror writers (myself included) don't write horror because they want to be in the horror section, the write horror because its the way their minds work. Stephen King didn't set out to scare us, but he found out he was good at it and that's how it panned out. You've got a good concept there, but don't ever let anyone tell you that horror has to be this way or that, or that your book even has to be horror. If I read the whole thing, I might it find it to be more of a human drama that incidentally contains age old spells and ghosts. The story is what it is, and words like horror and science fiction won't change that.

Keep writing,
wideawakesoh

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night."
Edgar Allen Poe

I LOVE THIS FREAKIN' BANANA!!! :banana:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
A very kind agent told me NOT to label my book "horror" since my target audience is women. He said "most women won't even look at the horror section." (Proving, of course, that I truly am an oddball. :tongue )

He said I sould label it "thriller" which is less off-opputting to women and then reel 'em in through that back door.

I am now rewriting said book to resubmit to him. It's a journey...

- the Lily

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Call this puppy a "dark paranormal" which will be much easier to sell to the existing publishers. DAW or Roc would probably look at it. If you choose to include a romantic element (she meets someone in the town and falls in love, giving the necessary urgency to break the curse), then you'll find more homes than you know what to do with!

Here are your definitions, since I am at this very moment in the process of teaching this subject to a writing group chapter over here:

http://www.rwaonlinechapter.org/Campus.html

Unfortunately, it too late to join the class (it started on Monday,) but here are your definitions:
Horror: The plot must contain earthly or otherworldly threats to the H/h that end in death or torture of third parties and continual threat of death to the H/h. This need not have a HEA. In other words, in horror, the H/h may die and the bad guys win. An example of this would be Stephen King's The Shining. Several key characters don't make it out alive.

Paranormal: A paranormal novel includes elements of legend, whether shapeshifters, vampires, mummies, witches, etc. They often include horror elements or romantic elements based on existing folklore or legends, but they are always set in our current reality, whether past or present, and use creatures that are rumored to exist or existed in the past based on handed-down legends. American Werewolf in London and Dracula are examples of paranormal (but are often shelved in horror or fantasy.)

Good luck with it! :D

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Wideawakesoh and Lily,
Thanks for your responses, but I was trying to classify them so I would submit them to the correct place. It just wastes time to submit say a horror to a romance publisher. Which is why I was trying to classify it.

Cathy,
Thanks. She is married. The reason why she goes to this town is she is sort of running away. She later patches things up with her husband and her husband helps her through the semi-aftermath as she prepares to return and finish the job so to speak. I definately think it is more paranormal than horror. It does have romance between Kendra and her husband, but I don't know if it is enough to call it a paranormal romance. Guess its just something that would need to be read to be determined. :)

Thanks everyone again.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
It does sound like horror to me, or else "dark fantasy" (new name for horror). It doesn't sound like science fiction - fantasy perhaps.

Just a minor historical nitpick, which you may have already corrected while researching - witches weren't burnt in North America or England, unless they were convicted of having murdered their husbands (or possibly fathers, though I don't recall a case of that) by witchcraft - murder of one's lord is petty or low treason, and receives the same penalty as high treason.
Witches were burnt in Scotland and Germany. Elsewhere they were hanged, including in Salem.
-Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.