PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Science Fiction?

icerose
06-25-2005, 08:01 AM
Hi Everyone,
I am hoping you can help me catagorize my recently finished rough draft book. It is titled Town Curfew. Here is a (rough) brief description of the book.

Kendra Jackson is searching for a refuge away from real life. As her life becomes unbearable, she runs, and stumbles across a small town named Kassel Maine. It is small and the people are a bit odd, but it is far enough away from Brandon, her husband, and she takes up the local teaching position. It isn't long before strange things begin to happen and she discovers this town is cursed. The people are trapped at the same age and condition they were since 1802 when the town discovered they had a witch in their midsts, Rhianna Demona. Following the Puritan's ways, and uneffected by the world around them since 1692, they burned her at the stake, but she was real.

Uttering a powerful curse that bound not only the people of the town to this life and confining them to the boundaries of town. In doing so she cheats death, but at a terrible price, forced to live a wretched existence she wanders the forest at night in search of those caught outside after sunset. If touched, they must join her in the forest and haunt the town at night, hungry for more victims. Kendra must find a way to break the spell and stumbles across the guardian, Haress, whose black book she guarded gave the Demona's their power many generations before. Together they must set the town free using an anti-curse and returning the black book to the guardian.

Before she is able to return the book she loses parts of her memory and leaves the town thinking it is all over. She and Brandon pick up the pieces of their lives and work out their problems. Kendra, knows it isn't over yet, even though she can't remember what happened. Through nightmares and visitations by Haress, the trapped guardian, she regains the urgency to help save the people still trapped in the small town.

She returns to the horror of a life draining spell, cast over the inhabitants of the town, bringing immortality to Rhianna and a new life stirs in her womb. Kendra has run out of time, and she must confront Rhianna, or lose everything she and the others have fought for.

So would this be a sci-fi even though it has horror and fantasy and such all mixed in? I am the worst at classifying my own books!

I want to submit this to Penguin and Putnam's DAW sci-fi section so I need to know if it fits or not.

Thanks

Sara

sunandshadow
06-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Erm, science fiction usually has some science in it somewhere. Don't see any here. I would call it supernatural, possibly horror.

icerose
06-25-2005, 09:02 AM
Okay, I wasn't sure what it would be considered and I wanted to make sure I nailed down the genre before I started submitting it. I am not really sure if it would be horror either, although it does have some elements of horror, I don't find it that scary. I thought horror had to be scary. I think the fact that I am so new to all of this is showing. :gone:

Sara

Diana Hignutt
06-25-2005, 02:29 PM
It sounds like horror to me.

diana

azbikergirl
06-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Horror is not necessarily scary, but stories about witches and curses scream "horror" to me.

icerose
06-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Thanks,
I have posted my inquiry in the horror section, hopefully they can confirm that it is a horror or continue to point me in the right direction.

Thanks for all your help, I just wasn't sure what it was. :)

Sara

HConn
06-25-2005, 09:04 PM
It sounds like contemporary fantasy to me.

MacAllister
06-25-2005, 09:58 PM
and I expect the publisher would stick whatever classification on the book that they think will best sell it. :)

icerose
06-25-2005, 10:12 PM
and I expect the publisher would stick whatever classification on the book that they think will best sell it. :)

Yeah...problem is finding the right publisher to send it to, because it all depends on what they are looking for...back to the search. :)

Sara

MadScientistMatt
06-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Sounds like straight-up classical horror to me.

icerose
06-27-2005, 07:16 PM
Sounds like straight-up classical horror to me.

Thanks, now I must search for a new publisher to submit it to, at least I didn't send it off to DAW and get back a "This doesn't fit our publishing needs" six months later. :D

brinkett
06-27-2005, 11:26 PM
It helps to know in advance so you can query the agents and publishers most likely to consider the work.

icerose
06-28-2005, 12:14 AM
It helps to know in advance so you can query the agents and publishers most likely to consider the work.

Definately, which is why I am pinning down the genre now instead of later :D

katiemac
06-28-2005, 02:28 AM
You might even pull for "dark fantasty," where the darker horror elements will be implied. But yes, as long as the general description comes forth in the query, once the novel is bought, the publisher may determine the exact genre they'd like to sell it under.

whitehound
06-30-2005, 07:45 AM
It would only be SF if there was a strong scientific or pseudo-scientific explanation provided for the powers of Rhianna and the guardian - if Haress was really an alien and Rhianna was the result of some sort of genetic experiment, for example - and if that scientific explanation was central to the denoument and not just a background gloss. Otherwise, it's fantasy-horror.