"Window dressing" in stories --> fleshing out or bloating up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
I recently wrote (gah, READ!) a few books of Stephen King, and I found that he has a very interesting writing style in that he describes his world in such a way it seems very realistic and down-to-earth, like it was your neighborhood or something. One thing he does is to make the writing voice conversational and sometimes winding, and also make a lot of pop culture references. However, what really interests me is that he also fills his story with bucket-loads of details, some of them insignificant, so that his stories are actually extremely slow paced. A lot of them will be like "window dressing" -- you know, the story will be pretty much the same if you cut it all out. (One example is in Bag of Bones, where he has a little phone conversation with his brother. It is of marginal significance to the character, and probably none to the reader.)

My question is, does that help the story or harm it? When I'm reading his books I always tell myself: "well, I could cut this part out, it doesn't really affect the story that much." But if I did that, will I be taking away some of the magic the story has? I've wondered if these seemingly unimportant and cut-able descriptions actually lends the story a kind of hypnotic, everyday, neighborhood feel so that when the creepy things drop in, they really hit the reader. Is the "window dressing" meant to be there so the paranormal stuff can tear it down?

Or, is it the other way around? Does the extra description bloat the story? Is it possible Stephen King's stories succeed despite the "window-dressing" (most of the time it's just a minor annoyance), not because of it?

I'm asking this because I feel this particular aspect of his writing style is more subtle -- it doesn't have a clearly measurable effect in that you don't read these "window dressing" and go "wow, that's clever/intriguing" or "that terrifies me." Sometimes it's even a chore to read through, but is it possible that it is working its magic in the background, and that the chore-like feel actually accents the horror later on? Maybe the story would lose that if it was cut out? Maybe without them, the story becomes sterile and bare-bones?

Any opinions? You can use other writers who do a similar thing if you want.

Last edited:

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
That's a pretty significant rule of writing, actually. If someone hasn't invested something in a character (even something as simple as "Eh, this person is normal enough I could believe them existing"), they won't care when terrible things happen to them.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
That's a pretty significant rule of writing, actually. If someone hasn't invested something in a character (even something as simple as "Eh, this person is normal enough I could believe them existing"), they won't care when terrible things happen to them.

I agree. Most writers, though, would put the character through a single event that illustrates their character, and puts them in a sympathetic situation. King, however, seems to go the extra mile, sometimes spending 80 pages or so describing a lot of different aspects of the character's life and setting, some important to the story, some simply a kind of decoration to color the story.

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Most writers, though, would put the character through a single event that illustrates their character, and puts them in a sympathetic situation. King, however, seems to go the extra mile, sometimes spending 80 pages or so describing a lot of different aspects of the character's life and setting, some important to the story, some simply a kind of decoration to color the story.

Could go either way on this, really. You could look at it as laziness/refusal to edit, or you could look at it as an extremely economic way of building up the emotional payload of fucking with the character.

Keep in mind, some of the most emotional pay-offs in literature to do with harming characters have to happen after *books* of character building, because by the time you get that involved with a character, them coming to a nasty end can be as emotionally jarring as something bad happening to someone you know in real life.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If it works, it works. It's dependent on style and preference.

That's King's style, and people are used to it - that doesn't mean that every new writer should strive to stuff as much information as possible into a MS because 99% of the time, they'll do it in such a way that it doesn't work.

People have told me I write like King and people have told me I write like a dark Nora Roberts. I'm not really sure how those two mesh up (I've only read a couple of King novels and I've never read Nora Roberts :Shrug:), but the usual comparison comes from the amount of detail I use in the story. I'm an admittedly verbose writer, but it's the only way I know how to write. (Those little tickers down there all have 80K as a target, but I wouldn't be surprised if the final product tips out over 100K.)

I think of description like strings in a weaving. If they're hanging loose at the end, cut them off, but if the whole thing starts to unravel when you pull at them, you should leave them alone or risk ruining it.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
Two things are most commonly mentioned when speaking of Stephen King.

First, his narrative voice, which is very much akin to a "Come here, kiddo. Uncle Stevie has a story to tell you" type thing. Second, and I think by far his most common criticism, is his tendency towards verbal (or written, I suppose) diarrhea.

For myself, and judging by King's popularity for a good majority of readers, his voice overpowers his occassional embelishments. Not always though.

I don't think this is necessarily a good or bad thing for a writer to emulate. I personally would consider some portions "wrong" and in need of cutting, but that's me. I most definitely would not suggest a new writer attempt to emulate this "bloating".

ElsaM

lurker extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I recently wrote (gah, READ!) a few books of Stephen King, and I found that he has a very interesting writing style in that he describes his world in such a way it seems very realistic and down-to-earth, like it was your neighborhood or something...

...My question is, does that help the story or harm it?

It's funny, when I read the title of your post I immediately thought of Stephen King. As a writer he's certainly known for including huge amounts of (possibly irrelevant) detail. Regarding your question, I don't think there's a definite answer. In my experience it depends on the author, and on the book. Sometimes Stephen King does a wonderful job of including irrelevant detail. The Stand (extended version) is one of my favourite books, as is Salem's Lot and Christine. I always read the Forwards to his books and I remember telling someone that if he published his grocery list I'd probably read it.

Since then, however, I've read Bag of Bones and Desperation and felt differently. The segues didn't seem to work, didn't draw me in, and I found myself becoming bored with the book(s).

So I feel that, if done very, very well, 'window dressing' can add hugely to a story. But if not done well, it drags. Personally, if I find myself adding what I feel may be irrelevant details about my characters or setting I try and cut it. I don't think I measure up to Stephen King, and if he can get it wrong I don't think I have much hope.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
While I really respect King for the amazing career he's had, and I love On Writing, I can't stand reading his fiction for the reason you cited. There is way too much ramble and detail in it for me.

Oddly, I am a huge fan of Richard Adams, who is a far worse offender on the "too much detail" front. Maybe it's the subjects Adams writes about that hold my interest through all the rambly, obnoxious detail-loading.

Anyway, I suppose it can be fleshing out or bloating up, depending on the reader. I try to find a happy medium between absolutely spare and Adams-style detail overload in my writing.

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
I agree, Libbie, that his verbosity is exactly why I don't like Stephen King's writing, even though I respect him greatly for what he has done. It might be because I write YA/Children's and so have become very used to reading and writing with faster pacing and bigger emotional punches with fewer words. Having said that, I love Jane Austen, Dumas and many other classic writers that didn't hold back on the wordage. But it's a combo of King's excessive (for me) writing and his subject matters that don't seem to hold my attention.

But everyone likes different things. And that's cool.

Mad Queen

California Mountain Snake
Registered
Reaction score
I agree as well. I love On Writing and I could spend eternity reading about Stephen King's childhood memories, but I've tried to read several of his fiction books, but I didn't finish any. Maybe I should try the short stories.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To the original question, I agree on King's attention to detail, but something in that original post told me to look deeper. The comment was how the description slowed down the pace of the story. In some of those instances, were the scenes in question surrounded by fast-paced or high-tension scenes? One aspect of good writing is varying the pace of the various scenes in the story, and it's a subtlety that comes with significant writing experience, I suspect. I also suspect it goes beyond that in some of his stories (overdone detail), but it would be worth a check to see if those molasses-slow scenes followed fast-paced ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.