How to find "best fit" with agent?

writer friend

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
Any advice on the right questions to ask an agent, how to know if the two of you are a good "fit?" Is is all right to ask how "proactive" he or she will be in representing your work?
If an agent offers representation, may the writer first ask to see the contract to look it over? Is this how things are done?
Is there a polite way to let an agent know that another offer from another agent is being considered?
I would be grateful for any advice here.
Writer Friend

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
flyingtart's list is great - and is actually the list I used when vetting two agents. I didn't ask all the questions - but it was a great guideline.

Just be professional and polite when letting an agent know that you are also considering an offer from another agent - they definitely want to know that - so make sure to tell them and just try to be as professional as possible when doing so.

writer friend

Registered
Reaction score
flyingtart's list is great - and is actually the list I used when vetting two agents. I didn't ask all the questions - but it was a great guideline.

Just be professional and polite when letting an agent know that you are also considering an offer from another agent - they definitely want to know that - so make sure to tell them and just try to be as professional as possible when doing so.

Thank you too, for your opinion. It gets a bit scary when things get "real" and I really wasn't sure how the process works. I will look over the suggested web postings and appreciate my friends at the Water Cooler for their help.
Writer Friend