PDA

View Full Version : My rejection letter is not spam!

Fenika
07-12-2009, 07:13 AM
While messing with my gmail settings, I noted I had all of 9 spam messages (new account). So, wisely, I decided to check those messages. I found a letter from June 30th in there for my only current sub!

Of course, that little glimmer of hope grew that much brighter, since I'd checked online yesterday and didn't expect to hear anything for a month yet.

But no, an R.

On the bright side, the editor gave specific feedback.

On the downside, I can't make any sense of it overall :(

Oh publishing world, you toy with my emotions so.

Ugawa
07-13-2009, 03:22 AM
It only takes one yes :)

Fenika
07-13-2009, 04:06 AM
As long as the yes isn't buried in my full spam folder. ;)

Lyra Jean
07-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Could you post the feedback they gave you here to see if we can decipher it or would that be bad form?

Fenika
07-14-2009, 06:00 PM
I reckon I'd better not post it. I'll sort it out...

Judg
07-14-2009, 08:39 PM
And this is an object lesson on why I check my spam folder frequently. I found a request for the full in there once...

barnicus
07-16-2009, 08:39 AM
And this is an object lesson on why I check my spam folder frequently. I found a request for the full in there once...

Egad!! :eek:

Judg
07-17-2009, 12:00 AM
No kidding. I couldn't figure out what on earth made the filter think it was spam. I almost had a heart attack when I saw it.

Laura Lond
07-19-2009, 04:14 AM
I always check my spam box, but somehow nothing agent- or publishing related ever goes there. I use Gmail, too.

jennibly
07-19-2009, 04:57 AM

That happened to me as well. Luckily I checked it right away but it was still very rude of my inbox to toy with me like that.

AuburnAssassin
07-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Here's something that may be weird, may not be weird but relates to spam. I once queried an agency late last year, got a short but nice rejection saying agent was too busy to consider, etc. I have so far rec'd 2 emails from her about industry stuff--first one went to my spam folder but then I instructed my email provider for future reference that it was NOT a spam address. Today I got one complete with attachment in the in-box that the agent forwarded to me and her colleagues at the same agency entitled:

"Fwd: Important AAR Alert: Electronic Rights Agreement Checklist" .

She got it from: AAR-The Association of Authors' Representatives, Inc.

Do other people end on mailing lists of agents or is this some weird mistake in that she's added me to a distribution list by mistake (I have the same slightly unusual first name as one of the other agents at that agency and she is NOT on the short distribution list). I'm new to this and have only sent 2 queries thus far so I have no idea if querying puts the query-er on subscribed mailing lists or if this is really just a fluky mistake. I"m leaning toward the latter and am sending her an email note back as I type this. But it sure was tempting to say nothing and see what else I'd get.

mlazzer
07-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Maybe the publisher where you send it to was named Enl4rge ur pen1s?

AuburnAssassin
07-24-2009, 11:59 PM
And maybe my lack of a pen1s was the reason for my rejection?

I emailed her back and said "while I'm sure this was just a mistake that you'd want to know about, never let it be said that I wasn't listening for opportunity's knock. My new query is attached." Ha-ha! I figured, what did I have to lose?

mlazzer
07-25-2009, 12:05 AM
And maybe my lack of a pen1s was the reason for my rejection?

I emailed her back and said "while I'm sure this was just a mistake that you'd want to know about, never let it be said that I wasn't listening for opportunity's knock. My new query is attached." Ha-ha! I figured, what did I have to lose?
Sorry, it wasn't aimed at you. I'm still a bit new to all this forumness...

AuburnAssassin
07-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Oh, I know your post was in jest, Mlazzer. I laughed but nevertheless you did indirectly hit on a good point. I didn't open the attachment to the agent's email...cause ya never know if someone might have hijacked her email address though I somehow doubt that The Association of Authors' Representatives, Inc. would need to stoop that low. LOL

AuburnAssassin
07-25-2009, 12:13 AM
OMG! She just emailed me back and asked for a partial!!!!!!!!!!

Honesty pays.

Shadow_Ferret
07-25-2009, 12:15 AM
*wonders if not checking his spam filter is the reason he hasn't heard back on a full for almost 11 months.*

mlazzer
07-25-2009, 12:20 AM

Honesty pays.
Congrats!

Judg
07-25-2009, 01:02 AM

Honesty pays.
That is hilarious and wonderful at the same time.

melaniehoo
07-25-2009, 01:08 AM

Honesty pays.

That's awesome!!

*wonders if not checking his spam filter is the reason he hasn't heard back on a full for almost 11 months.*

I recently switched to gmail and can't FIND my spam folder. Anyone know where it's hiding?

KosseMix
07-25-2009, 01:32 AM
That's awesome!!

I recently switched to gmail and can't FIND my spam folder. Anyone know where it's hiding?
Under "Personal and Travel" you'll see a link that says "6 More." It should be under there (it is for me, at least).

melaniehoo
07-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Gah! There was an auto-reply from an agent in there.

Thanks!

AuburnAssassin
07-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks everyone!

Guess we've all learned: check your spam folder!

mlazzer
07-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks everyone!

Guess we've all learned: check your spam folder!
And don't submit to... :D

Fenika
07-25-2009, 04:52 PM
My spam folder is rather empty right now, so no rejections of any sort for me lately ;)