PDA

View Full Version : French speakers-- help!

Ruth2
07-12-2009, 04:39 AM
I'd appreciate any help someone can give on this.

In my WIP, one of my main characters refers to a "collier de sang" (necklace of blood). Since he's in bad shape at the time, I'd like to contract it to "col' de sang"; he's slurring the words and isn't sounding too precise at the moment. Is this possible or would it be too far out of the norm to do so?

Merci! :)

Reluctant Artist
07-12-2009, 06:42 AM
Why not use the shortened version, and have your character motioning to his neck? "C'etait comme un col' de sang," he mumbled, pawing at his neck. (or something like that).

Ruth2
07-12-2009, 07:13 AM
Thanks, Reluctant Artist! I'd love to do something like that. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't committing a total faux pas doing it.

Raindrop
07-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Hmm, I don't know. I'm French, and to me, "col" brings forth the image of a collar rather than a necklace.
Alternatively, you could use "chaine" (for "chainette"): "chaine de sang", with the pawing Reluctant Artist mentioned.

Ruth2
07-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Oooh, now that brings up another mental image too. Thanks, Raindrop!

Ms Hollands
07-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Just asked my French mate who is here by asking her what a collar of blood would be in French. She said 'collier de sang" straight away without shortening it. When I asked her if she'd shorten it, she said she would not. She said, when I suggested "col", is something else (a collar) so she wouldn't say that.

Ruth2
07-14-2009, 01:49 AM
Thanks April! I suppose it will have to be "collier de sang" then....