Can some books be too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
It's a rather subjective question, but I thought I'd see what people think of it.
Do you believe that it's possible to write a book... I don't want to say 'too well,' rather... it becomes too much. Although it's a rather bland way of saying it.
Let me give an example, a short time ago, I picked up Glen Cook's 1st book of Instrumentalities of the Night, The Tyrannny of the Night.

I read the first page and a half maybe. I then set the book down and started scratching and thumbing my head for the next 3-4 minutes.
Eventually I just looked up at the ceiling and said, "What?"

His book is just too much, well written, but it's like I'm reading through a screen, I get what's generally happening, but the details are totally going over my head. He uses words and wording that leaves my mind in a knot, and the created words I keep running across; Sha-Lug, Al-Prama, Andesqueluz, and let us not forget, er-Rashal al-Dhulquarnen.

My mind goes topsy-turvy trying to keep up with him. It kind of reminds me of when I sometimes read J.R.R. Tolkiens foreword.
Is Glen Cook too good, or am I just not good enough?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not quite the same thing you're describing, but I sometimes feel something like that when I read a book by Cormac McCarthy. I start off loving his almost poetic writing style, and then at some point it can becomes "too much"--something akin to sensory overload.

I hope that makes sense.

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
My mind goes topsy-turvy trying to keep up with him. It kind of reminds me of when I sometimes read J.R.R. Tolkiens foreword. Is Glen Cook too good, or am I just not good enough?

It's not a matter of good; it's a matter of fit. His writing doesn't fit for you.

Dale

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I've never read Cook, but there are many books and stories that leave me dizzy after one and a half pages. It takes time to adapt. I generally get a feel for what's going on later on. Sometimes I'm never quite sure what is I'm reading, but sometimes a switch flips in my head and reading's suddenly easy.

So I say: Two possibilities:

(1) The book's not for you (as Dale said).

(2) You'd profit from making an active effort to push through. Difficult reads can be the most rewarding ones.

(2) is only true if the energy input pays off; there's no point in frustrating yourself. The problem is: you don't really know which is which until you're quite some way in. So reading on is a risk, and only you can tell if it's a risk worth taking.

Me, I'll always advertise putting effort into reading, as that's what makes reading fun, for me. I'd like to see more challanging books*, and if I can convince more readers to take a difficult reading experience's challenge, then I'm more likely to get the books I want to read (as they're bought more).

* Heh. I just noticed this could mean (a) books that are more challenging or (b) more books that are challenging. Or, maybe even (c): more books that are more challenging... I meant (b), but I'm fine with (a), too. ^_^ .

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
For the most part I can read anything (given enough time), but I still haven't enjoyed the Dune books or any of Tolkien's writing. It's not that I can't understand them, it's just too much work for what enjoyment I get out of the books. Having made that point, I can say that Michael Chabon is one of my current favourite authors, despite people remarking that his books have left them cold.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Some authors seem to get carried away with being a smartass (Salmon Rushdie springs to mind), though I will still read on regardless.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
There's a line between writers who love words to the point of producing a novel that's poetry to read and writers who love the sound of their own voices so much that the book is just pretentious bollocks.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
There's a line between writers who love words to the point of producing a novel that's poetry to read and writers who love the sound of their own voices so much that the book is just pretentious bollocks.

James Joyce.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
I read a novel (name withheld) that was perfect in every way. Each scene was thought out to the max. I knew what the mc thought, felt, said, was going to say, did and was going to do from first page to last. The problem was the mc was so thoroughly detailed that there was no room for me.
I as the reader couldn't invest anything. The author didn't allow for the reader to develop empathy for the mc.

BTW this author doesn't think much of my stuff either but for entirely different reasons. Since we're friends neither of us has panned one another by name in print.
C

Last edited:

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I think citymouse has identified the problem, or at least the problem as it affects me. It doesn't happen in all books with well-developed characters (I loved Babbit
and Grapes of Wrath, where I think the characters were all very well drawn), but in some--I feel almost intimidated, as if I'm not welcome.

There's also a similar syndrome where I can't read well-written novels in my particular genre because they demoralize me. Then I also feel unwelcome, but that's because I'm not worthy to clean that particular author's sandals with my tongue, etc etc...

aimeelaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aimeelaine.com
It's not a matter of good; it's a matter of fit. His writing doesn't fit for you.
+1 there!!

I am an avid reader and my Mother loves to send me "great books" she's read. My sister will read them, my Dad, my BIL, etc. then I'll get it. Everyone expects I'll love it and I just can't get into it.

Sadly, "The Shack" is my latest non-fit. :( I may try again though ...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I recall having the same or a very similar problem with William Gibson's "Neuromancer" (at least I think that was the book - it was something "cyberpunk" anyway) when I tried to read it many years ago. It used too many invented words and seemingly invented syntax or something-or-other from the novel's future, and I just found it annoying.

I thought it meant I didn't like cyberpunk, on the other hand, I had read Rudy Rucker's first half-dozen or so novels that are also called "cyberpunk" but I greatly enjoyed those.

Marcus

sept 5th and I'm Out
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had the experience of having read about 100 pages of the first Dune book, and then I just lost interest in it. I Wanted to like it. I wanted to take the fiction in for what it was worth.
Now when i talk to people about science fiction and tell people i'm a fan of the Dune series but couldn't stomach reading the first book people usually give me a funny look. :D Its a little embarrasing.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried to read a few like that. Some makes me feel inferior, and some are like eating syrup. You know its too sweet, but you keep doing it till your sick.

Maybe that's why I can never finish the Scarlet Pimpernel. I try, and I like what I read, but i feels so inferior to her simple and highly effective prose.

C.M.C.

Archetype
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
No, I don't believe that there is such a thing as a book being too well written. If there were, it would be depressing to think about. The idea of improvement is to strive towards perfection while knowing that it is never within reach. If there is a limit to how perfect a book can be, it makes the journey much less enticing.

BlackBriar

Bricoleur
Registered
Reaction score
I remember getting exactly the same feeling when reading The Wheel of Time (now my fav). I think it's the fact that the last books we may have read leaves such a strong impression that we expect the next book (different series and author) to start off where the last one left off (at least if it had left a strong impression). I think it's worse when there is a similarity. For me I think it was A Game of Thrones, very different to the Wheel of Time, yet similar in a way (well defined worlds) that left that impression, and getting through the whole prologue was a struggle, though now it is easy to read. Of course I never got use to Goodkind's Sword of Truth, but that was boring writing, bad plot, undefined world, speeches on wild fire in undefined world, and a few more things.

Status
Not open for further replies.