• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta Reader for GLOW, a fantasy novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcyKate

There can be only One.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marcykate.com
Seeking Beta Readers for GLOW, a fantasy novel.

Hi there,

I'm in the final stages (I hope) of my first novel, GLOW, and would like to get feedback from readers who don't personally know me. A good (and very blunt) friend read it and really helped me improve, but I'm hoping others can provide even more insight. AW has been recommended to me by several people as the best place to find beta readers, so here I am. :) I would be happy to read someone else's manuscript in exchange for looking at mine.

I'm looking for a couple people who are willing to read fantasy/Urban fantasy/YA and can give me feedback and constructive criticism on the pacing, plot, characters, etc. I've done an extensive line edit of the book (twice!) so grammar-wise all should be well, but if a confusing phrase, misspelled word, or dangling participle pop up, I'd certainly like to know. Also, the book could easily fall into any of the three genres above and I'd like some advice on which would be the best one to use when pitching it to agents.

GLOW Summary (98,000 words):
College student Lily Emerson doesn't know she's a siren with a powerful voice. Nor does she suspect Ben Sullivan, the captivating stranger she meets on the train, is a faerie with a nasty curse. But both facts are revealed during one night of magic and mayhem, leading the pair on a tense journey through a world hidden in the subway tunnels of Boston.

Lily rides the train everyday, unaware her life is in danger and an unseen enemy stalks her every move. But after a series of strange events and the worst ice storm New England has seen in twenty years, everything changes. Ben rescues her from a broken down trolley and takes her into a glowing realm deep under Boston's busy streets. As they flee her would-be captors, Lily discovers that Ben and the world she knows are not what they seem. When Lily is captured by an evil faction of faeries, she must comply with their demand to perform a ritual that will kill her or rely on her own strength and newfound magic to outsmart them. It becomes a race against time as Lily tries to thwart their plans, find true love, and stay alive.

If you'd be interested in reading GLOW, please let me know! Thank you in advance!

-MarcyKate
www.marcykate.com

Last edited:

Edielin

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds really interesting! Although I'm pretty new, could I have a go?

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds good. How many pages is it?

MarcyKate

There can be only One.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marcykate.com
Wow! thanks for the quick responses!

Edielin: Yes, absolutely! I'm new here too. I'll send you a message to work out the details. THANK YOU!

Nitaworm: Thanks! The manuscript currently stands at 329 pages/98,000 words. Would you be interested in Beta-ing?

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this sounds really interesting. I'd love to try my hand at beta-ing it, if you still need people :) Oh and I'd pitch it as a YA urban fantasy -- that's what I did with mine while I was querying.

Caramia

Alliteration Afflicted
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not quite in the beta pool just yet. Still in learning the ropes phase. I just wanted to say you have a great hook here. All of your elements sound like traits I'd certainly consider when seeking a new read.

Best of luck to you! :)

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
98K words...it's a bit much, but send me the first 2 chapters and I'll read it. I just finished my manuscript, and have about a month before I start on the next WIP. I work now with a critique group that is very helpful, but I know their styles now so I'll give yours a go.

MarcyKate

There can be only One.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marcykate.com
inkspatters: Yes, thank you, I am still looking for another Beta or two. I'll send you a message to work out the details!

Caramia & wannawrite: Thank you! I'm very glad to hear you liked the hook - hopefully I can get an agent to agree!

realityshifter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kriscramer.com
Hi MarcyKate,

I would love to be a beta reader. Your story sounds intriguing!

I checked out your web site and your summary for The Arthur Manuscript sounds interesting as well. I'm fascinated by the Arthurian legends.

~ Kristen

MarcyKate

There can be only One.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marcykate.com
Thanks, Kristen! I'll send you a message to arrange the details.

The Arthur Manuscript is still in the beginning stages and I have a lot more research to do before it's any where near completion. Glad to hear you were intrigued by it, though! (and thanks for visiting my website!)

ljcblue

Registered
Reaction score
Marcy,

If you decide you are interested in another beta or an exchange, please let me know. I have 5 completed novels, a mix of YA fantasy, fantasy, and thriller/spec fic. (Brief summaries on my website: www.ljcohen.net)

I'm in your neck of the woods--just outside of Boston--and I found your premise interesting.

best,
lisa

the write style

Registered
Reaction score
Iit is intriguing Marcy and I'd be willing, too! I actually need my own beta reader (if anyone else is willing) but just for the first five chapters for my paranormal romance YA -a zombie type love story. i feel like my beginning may not be as strong ad my middle to end and would love input from someone other than my two best friends and father-in-law LOL!(although it was nice that they loved it).

Status
Not open for further replies.