PDA

View Full Version : 6-8 Weeks? Really? It's and/or I'm disturbed.

roger kryless
07-09-2009, 10:21 AM
This is definitely disturbing. I just need to figure out in which way:

a) Either I'm right, and my stats are severely lower than i want to believe.

b) I'm getting severely paranoid and emotionally needy-in-a-all-too-pathetic-tragic-and-somewhat-funny-way, and I should have more important things on my mind than hearing back from an agent.

You help me decide.

Many agents' websites say 4-6 or 6-8 week turnaround on email queries. For the ones that i've had requests from (out of the queries that have been sent over the last 2 months), they have all come within 10 minutes -2 days. Otherwise, i hear nothing. From reading here, i understand that's a no. Okay.. got it..

TO further validate that... Only two agencies have gotten back to me after 1-2 days -- at approximately the 1 month mark with an eloquent & personalized (okay, i jest) .. it was a form letter - mainly formed from the letter, R.

The question is.. Do many people get requests on queries after 3-4 weeks? Or do most of your requests come far before the turnarounds on the websites?

Vespertilion
07-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Yes, it happens. I think it has the most to do with where you land in the pile, or if they just happened to be checking email when you popped up--like that.

Have you been over to Bewares and Background checks? You can look for your agents there, and see what turnaround times other AWers have posted for them. Also, querytracker.net has similar comments, if you haven't been there already.

caromora
07-09-2009, 10:38 AM
I got a request for a full after a year. I've also gotten a couple partial requests after the three month mark.

Calla Lily
07-09-2009, 03:26 PM
My stats are similar to caromora's.

YAwriter72
07-09-2009, 03:30 PM
This is definitely disturbing. I just need to figure out in which way:

a) Either I'm right, and my stats are severely lower than i want to believe.

b) I'm getting severely paranoid and emotionally needy-in-a-all-too-pathetic-tragic-and-somewhat-funny-way, and I should have more important things on my mind than hearing back from an agent.

You help me decide.

Many agents' websites say 4-6 or 6-8 week turnaround on email queries. For the ones that i've had requests from (out of the queries that have been sent over the last 2 months), they have all come within 10 minutes -2 days. Otherwise, i hear nothing. From reading here, i understand that's a no. Okay.. got it..

TO further validate that... Only two agencies have gotten back to me after 1-2 days -- at approximately the 1 month mark with an eloquent & personalized (okay, i jest) .. it was a form letter - mainly formed from the letter, R.

The question is.. Do many people get requests on queries after 3-4 weeks? Or do most of your requests come far before the turnarounds on the websites?

I ahhh got a manuscript request 11 months after I queried. It was 10 months after I signed with my agent and withdrew it too. I got a couple of R's too about 9-10 months after querying. Thank Gawd I wasn't waiting in them!

KTC
07-09-2009, 03:33 PM
i got a request after 7 months. you never know what they're gonna do. the rule is there are no rules.

roger kryless
07-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I've checked all the agents out at the usual sites, but there are so many tales of 'i heard back in 10 minutes on my equery and overnight on my full', etc. etc. I was beginning to wonder if that's the norm for success.

That's really good to know. In my 'day job' where we think that responses that take over an hour are delinquent has done nothing for preparing me for the w a i t i n g.

thanks... and good luck..
rk

hughhowey
07-09-2009, 10:46 PM
I had some rejection letters come back in seconds. Those were from Outlook. Stupid typos.

The ones from agents started coming back within a day. The rest came back well after I already had a book deal from a publisher. I responded to all of those politely:

"Nyah, nyah, nyah! Who needs you?!"

I'm guiding my way through life by the light of burning bridges. - Hugh C. Howey

cate townsend
07-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Don't drive yourself crazy over response times. Send a query, mark it in your spreadsheet or other preferred tracking device, and forget about it.