PDA

View Full Version : Any Japanese History Experts?

DMarie84
07-09-2009, 04:06 AM
Part of my new novel takes place during the very early Muromachi period (around 1400 or so). I've been trying to find info on the culture, specifically that of the normal person, i.e. an artisan (my characters are going to be artisans). I haven't been able to find much.

Also, I'm having an incredibly difficult time looking for names for the common folk. The only names I can find are modern ones and some names of the shugo and prominent samurai of the time. I know that a commoner would NOT have a surname, as those only came during the Meiji era, so I'm trying to just find good names for an average everyday person, both men and women. The names for women are even harder to find; most names I've found end in the -ko suffix, although I've read that's more modern (like late Edo/early Meiji).

Are there any good books or websites anyone may be able to suggest about the culture and names of this time period? Thanks!

BardSkye
07-10-2009, 12:11 AM
You might want to ask this over in the Historical forum as well. Lots of helpful people there for all sorts of places and times.

Sorry, I know nothing about Japanese history.