PDA

View Full Version : Creeping Doubt

jennibly
07-08-2009, 06:25 AM
It just got me. I've been fighting it off all day. Well, actually for a few days. :(

I sent my first full off almost a week ago. As soon as I hit "Send" it was like all these problems materialized. Suddenly I couldn't even understand why the agent liked the partial. I used the same word twice in one chapter, for crying out loud! What is she thinking?!?

Ugh. This is a yucky feeling.

bettielee
07-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Have some chocolate ice cream. It'll all be all right.

Amarie
07-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Doubt is good. Otherwise, we would never revise!

Haupe
07-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Whenever I get too caught up in what other people think about my writing, I remember two things:

1. Life is short. Might as well act from a place of bravery and take a risk than stay small and always wonder what <b>might</b>have happened.

2. There are a lot of reasons to write that have nothing to do with the end result.

You did good. You took a chance. Celebrate.

NightClerk
07-08-2009, 11:38 AM
I think we all know that feeling.

The best thing to do - at least that I have found - after hitting "SEND" is to not even look at it again until something concrete has come of it, be it either a pass or something more favorable.

Some things I've realized, no matter how times you proof:

You did not get all the typos.

You definitely could have worded several key paragraphs better and structured several chapters much better.

You more than likely did use a word that one hundred percent does not exist, but is ninety-nine percent similar to a word that does and was what you intended it to be.

Even finding a simple "Tne" when you meant to write "The" can have crushing effects on your psyche. But you already proofed and proofed and proofed until your eyes bled.

Agents know you are human. They know they will see mistakes. But it is your material that speaks to them. They aren't going to be absolutely head-over-heels in love with your story so far, find the word "disproportionate" misspelled on page 297, and chuck the manuscript in the trash.

If you're a good writer, you know you're a good writer. Send it off. Wait to hear from them. Once you do, if its a pass, then pull it out, dust it off and go through it leisurely. Find all those little things that you looked at twenty different times but never saw before and fix them. When you resubmit, you'll feel a lot more confident.

jennibly
07-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks everyone. :)

I went ahead and had a little mental breakdown. Screamed and cried and felt sorry for myself. I allowed about 20 minutes (while I waited for the floor I had just mopped to dry) and then got over it. Onward and upward and all that. :)

hughhowey
07-09-2009, 10:43 PM
I had these ups and downs for a few weeks while I was querying. It's been a lot better since I decided to stop getting back up again.

It wasn't the lows that troubled me, I've learned. It was all that sudden movement!