Need advise on selling books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christina B. Conroy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.musicgiveslife.com
:flag:Six weeks ago, my first novel, ONE MAN'S MUSIC, was accepted by B&N small press and appeared on the shelves of some stores. I was thrilled, until I learned that unsold fiction is returned to the publisher after 90 days. I am not famous, so my books are not selling very fast. I visit the stores I can get to, sign copies, and hand out bookmarks. I blog as much as I know how, hired a PR firm for radio interviews, but have no idea if it is helping - besides which, listeners could be buying from Amazon.com, (I have 14***** reviews), at lower prices.

Please share your expertise and give me any advise. In another 6 weeks, the remaining books will go back to the publisher. Thanks!

Last edited:

2Wheels

Anachronista
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the pub!
What efforts (if any) is the publisher making to promote your work?
I can think of a couple of extra things:
Put a copy in your local library. Offer to do a book reading there (don't know if they'd go for it, but you can try, depending on the genre).
Send copies to book reviewers at newspapers/magazines (if they didn't get advance copies from the publisher).
Utilise friends and family to get the word out on Facebook/Twitter etc. That's where things can turn 'viral' as they say.
Six weeks isn't a lot of time to do this, but good luck!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Do you have a website? Blogging about what you are doing to promote the book adds value to whatever you do.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
What is it about? Are there groups you can email? Mine is historical fantasy so I emailed re-enactment groups. I also sent an email to every single library in Australia - the only country my publisher at the time supplies to. I got invited to give talks to interested groups. I contacted local newspapers before each book signing. I spoke on local radio stations. I appeared on TV once (that's a hard one to get into, here). I visit half a dozen local writers' groups. Local libraries hosted book launches for me.

Try some of those and I'm sure there will be more for you.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You can get display site listings 'til you are blue in the face, in my experience it doesn't lead to sales.

Last edited:

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise - my small publisher hasn't done much off-line. I've doen everything but the library things - I'll try that.

If it's any consolation, large publishers don't do much for most books either.

What I used to do was to go into my local Borders or Barnes and Noble and move my book out of the music section and put it on the front table where they have the New and Hot Paperback Releases. It was usually back where it belonged the next time I visited, but it was still very exciting to have it be up there with the week's hot prospects.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise - my small publisher hasn't done much off-line. I've doen everything but the library things - I'll try that.

At a book signing I usually sell 15-20 books. I tell the manager, get all the books in you hope to sell and I promise to return and move them if they don't go the first time I'm there. That means they're not left with unsold books and the cost of returning them to the publisher.

Christina B. Conroy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.musicgiveslife.com
Thanks Mumut - Great idea. My book is about Chamber Music players, and the Pan Asian Chamber Music Competition is on now. Morning Interview at ABC Classic FM in Sydney requested copies of my book. I hope they interview me - I've been doing a lot of that here.

Christina B. Conroy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.musicgiveslife.com
Great web site, Sandra - thanks. I bit the bullet and hired a PR firm to get me radio interviews. I was a child actress from a theatrical family. Since Michael Jackson died, I have been interviewed about being a kid performer - and I get to plug my steamy novel about an unhappy kid, growing into a gorgeous young soprano, lusting after a symphonic composer.

Christina B. Conroy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.musicgiveslife.com
I have a web site for my Music therapy non-profit - I need to expand it more - for my book. My book is about Chamber Music players, and the Pan Asian Chamber Music Competition is on now. Morning Interview at ABC Classic FM in Sydney requested copies of my book. I hope they interview me - I've been doing a lot of that here.

SandraBeckwith

Helping authors promote
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.buildbookbuzz.com
Hey Christina, it sounds like you've had some good publicity experiences! Since your book is about chamber music, have you also gone after music-related publications, even the trade magazines targeting orchestra leaders, music educators, etc.? I'd bet they'd be interested in a story about why you chose to write about chamber music, etc.

Regardless, you are off to a great start -- and I'm so glad you can capitalize on the Michael Jackson story!

Sandy

SandraBeckwith

Helping authors promote
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.buildbookbuzz.com
Hi Christina,

I wasn't thinking of a review of your book in the music trades. I was thinking of a feature if there's an angle for that. For example, if there have been 2 other novels involving chamber music in the past 18 mos., there could be a trends piece here -- why do chamber musicians make good fiction fodder? Or, if your research involved playing with a chamber orchestra, that might make an interesting story. I don't know enough to offer solid angles, but the point is, it might be possible to get into one of them with some creative thinking/brainstorming, about article ideas involving you as a resource.

It's important for us to think past book reviews when promoting our books because reviews can be harder to snag than other types of beneficial publicity.

Cheers,
Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.