Thrillers Involving Gated Communities

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I looked online, but could only find a single reference to a thriller involving a gated community. I seem to recall a couple of TV movies involving them, and maybe a book in the remote past. Does anyone know of any specifically?

I want to know due to an idea I had for a dark thriller I had last night that involves a gated community being held hostage by terrorists.

Gated (working title)
"Something evil and diabolical has just entered the gated community of Cedar Springs. Now, isolated from the outside world and under siege, the residents will come to realize that gates, walls, and security systems not only keep unwanted visitors out, they can also keep you in."

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Harry Bosch investigated a witness/suspect/victim in a gated community in one of Michael Connelly's novels, but I don't remember which one.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I also remember another book where most of the crimes were in a guy's house in a high-security gated area. I can't remember the name of the book or the author 'cause I have a terrible memory. I'll keep thinking.

I have a problem with the premise: most gated communities aren't fool-proof. It's reasonably easy to get in and out of them, even guarded ones. I've tested this while doing research for my own writing. However, if done right it might be interesting.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Joining the group of those who can't remember, uh, stuff . . . there is a story about a professional hitman who rents a condo at an exclusive gated community in order to kill some old guy. The hitman has a wise-cracking female handler (manager?) and he collect stamps. The stories involving the hitman are always done in such a casual, matter-of-fact way that he generally comes across as a sympathetic character.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
heyjude wrote, I have a problem with the premise: most gated communities aren't fool-proof. It's reasonably easy to get in and out of them, even guarded ones. I've tested this while doing research for my own writing. However, if done right it might be interesting.

The more precise premise for this one is that a professionally-trained and equipped team takes over the community, surrounding it inside and out with claymores and IEDs, protecting against a SWAT or military assault with Hummvee-mounted radars and SAMs, and finally threatening the entire community with a Sarin gas release (that's an idea I pulled from the movie The Rock and the Sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway systemfor my own purposes). The job of the hero(es) is to stay alive and out of their clutches long enough to figure out what they're really up to and stop them.

I'm working on the characters and plot outline today.

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
Joining the group of those who can't remember, uh, stuff . . . there is a story about a professional hitman who rents a condo at an exclusive gated community in order to kill some old guy. The hitman has a wise-cracking female handler (manager?) and he collect stamps. The stories involving the hitman are always done in such a casual, matter-of-fact way that he generally comes across as a sympathetic character.

Williebee said:
Alleycat's thinking of Block's Hitman series, I believe.

ETA: Here you go.

The gated community episode was just one part of a larger book.

Good stuff.

The gated community episode was in Hit Parade, Block's followup to Hit Man.

And I think the fact that two or three people in this thread have offered it as an example might be indicative of the dearth of thrillers set in gated communities. Which might be good news for you, FOTSGreg, since it's an interesting hook.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alleycat's thinking of Block's Hitman series, I believe.

ETA: Here you go.

The gated community episode was just one part of a larger book.

Good stuff.
Thank you! As soon as I read Block I remembered what writer I was thinking of (duh). It just completely slipped my mind earlier this morning.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
The more precise premise for this one is that a professionally-trained and equipped team takes over the community, surrounding it inside and out with claymores and IEDs, protecting against a SWAT or military assault with Hummvee-mounted radars and SAMs, and finally threatening the entire community with a Sarin gas release (that's an idea I pulled from the movie The Rock and the Sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway systemfor my own purposes). The job of the hero(es) is to stay alive and out of their clutches long enough to figure out what they're really up to and stop them.

Well that would be harder. :D

Sounds like fun to me! (Fun... well, you know what I mean. I assume you all have the same twisted notion of fun as I do.)

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
smcc360 et al, Thanks, guys. I did think it was a nice hook and, while there've been a couple of TV movies that featured SF-related themes on gated communities (ie some crazy security guy gets the idea he can control the whole society like a dictator, etc., etc.), I did not recall any books that were specifically set in gated communities.

There are quite a few set in isolated communities that can be easily cut off from the outside world, but nothing that I know of quite like this.

Now, getting the sucker done in a reasonable time is the kicker. I'm going to give myself 60-90 days for the complete first draft (I've done 65k firsts in 30-35 so I know it can be done).

STKlingaman

Followed the Red Brick Road
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of 'Thrills'
you are looking for?

otherwise . . .

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I got a little over 1300 words done today plus the start of the outline (another couple hundred words on index cards) on my new WIP Gated. It's a dark thriller and I think it's off to a great start (stopped this afternoon at the start of a gunfight between one of the main characters and the villains and with another main character trying to escape the takeover of the bar she works in.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
The Association by Bentley Little- I think it's a fantasy thriller...

Hm, I'll have to come back later with more

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Sounds like a fun concept. There are a number of places in the country you could set it, to make it work. There are several areas in the southwest where gated, residential developments, i.e. planned communities have grown up, for example.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read The Gold Coast by Nelson DeMille? It's a mobster-style thriller that takes place in an exclusive, expensive Long Island neighbourhood. I don't know if it's a gated community per se, but this is a tremendously fun read nevertheless.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Just got back from a massive house hunt in an area with many gated communities. Most of the actual gates were broken, but in a few communities the gates were up and running and the guards were *serious.* The walls were high and there were cameras--I can better see how this premise would work now.

PS The book I recommended was "Safer" by Sean Doolittle. Not exactly the same premise, but interesting nonetheless.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Yup, I'm about 3k words in. I'm modeling the community on a couple that are around where I live (basically using my own community with some significant modifications mapped on others around here).

Using a map to make sure I don't forget where various locations are and setting it in a community which is basically self-contained (a few stores, bars, a golf course, etc., etc.).

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I looked online, but could only find a single reference to a thriller involving a gated community.

[...]
"Something evil and diabolical has just entered the gated community of Cedar Springs. Now, isolated from the outside world and under siege, the residents will come to realize that gates, walls, and security systems not only keep unwanted visitors out, they can also keep you in."
I looked around a couple of years back and didn't see much either. I did some work on a thrillerish short involving a gated community, but it's not well-developed. The attraction of a gated community in a thriller format should be evident: them and us, different rules on the outside and the inside. All you need is to trap people inside with a looming atrocity and you have your thriller. Or, you can trap people outside...

Gated communities themselves are weird -- people living in the geography but not in the society. There's some interesting psychology to be explored there. Likewise, there's often a utopian ideal. You can have some fun with those boundaries in a horror format.

The nearest things I could find Greg were The Stepford Wives (a utopian gated community grown dystopian), and various post-apocalyptic stories.

From my own abortive experience though, I'd suggest that you make it about more than just a gated community and a monster. While it's an adequate formula (crucible plus atrocity), I reckon it'll be the subtexts that make the story sink or swim. That's why I trunked mine... I couldn't decide on what the subtexts should be.

Good luck on it!