PDA

View Full Version : Dear Agent: If it's been 8 months...

JoNightshade
07-07-2009, 08:46 PM
...since I sent you my query, and you're just now getting it? You could probably spare me the form rejection. I wrote you off 5 months ago and have moved on. Or were you just trying to brighten my day?

Thanks,
JoNightshade

Calla Lily
07-07-2009, 09:05 PM
{{{Jo}}} Been there. Haven't we all?

K. Taylor
07-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Ugh. That sucks.

firedrake
07-07-2009, 09:26 PM
I feel your pain.

I have some of them :(

Red-Green
07-07-2009, 10:05 PM
It's like a double rejection. :(

stormie
07-07-2009, 10:18 PM
I've had a few. One was just shy of a year later.

I figure it happens this way: The pile of queries is ceiling-high. The ones on top teeter a little as people pass by. Then they slip, one-by-one, down the pile but behind a bookcase or desk or into a cobwebby corner. One day a year, the cubicle or office is cleaned thoroughly. Or at least passed over with a vacuum. Lo and behold--there are those errant queries that are now yellowing with neglect and age. Who'd want to touch that?

Well, that's how I see it. :)

cate townsend
07-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Sorry Jo, know the feeling. I recently received a rejection on a query I sent 2 years ago. The agent had long since left, but someone had apparently gone through the leftover slush. I'd already written it off, so it didn't sting too much, but still...

ink wench
07-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Ugh, sorry Jo. It's like the query coming back from the dead to taunt you.

JoNightshade
07-07-2009, 10:27 PM
I figure it happens this way: The pile of queries is ceiling-high. The ones on top teeter a little as people pass by. Then they slip, one-by-one, down the pile but behind a bookcase or desk or into a cobwebby corner. One day a year, the cubicle or office is cleaned thoroughly. Or at least passed over with a vacuum. Lo and behold--there are those errant queries that are now yellowing with neglect and age. Who'd want to touch that?

Well, that's how I see it. :)

I'm actually okay with belated snail mail queries. I know stuff happens, things get lost or moved or overlooked. But this was an e-query! Half of my day job involves responding to massive amounts of email, similar to queries, and if I fell even a week behind I'd be costing my company tons of money. I find this degree of delay to be totally ridiculous. They even apologized for it in their form response. Excuse me? If you're getting such a huge volume of queries you have an 8 month backlog, CLOSE SUBMISSIONS. Sheesh. ;)

stormie
07-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Oops. Sorry, Jo. My imagination was flying along there, picturing all those envelopes. It became a micro-fiction.

Laura Lond
07-07-2009, 11:09 PM
8 months is bad... I agree, if they are that far behind they need to do something about it - perhaps temporarily close submissions, as you say.