Broken leg.

Lady_of_Myth

Registered
Reaction score
How much mobility would you have with a broken leg, and would falling from a height of say a story break said leg? Is that a remotely plausible situation?

The treatment in my story is to re-set the break and put it in a splint/cast. Again this is without modern medical care or hospitals of any sort due to the fact this story is set in the Renaissance.

Last edited:

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
assuming one story is about ten feet, then a few would be about thirty. Not only could you break a leg, you could get very dead.

depending on how you land it is possible to break your leg with a fall of only a few feet. if you want your character mobile,I would make it a tib/fib fracture- very painul, but plausible with a splint- your character may have a permanent limp though.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
How much mobility would you have with a broken leg, and would falling from a height of say a story break said leg? Is that a remotely plausible situation?

The treatment in my story is to re-set the break and put it in a splint/cast. Again this is without modern medical care or hospitals of any sort due to the fact this story is set in the Renaissance.

Heck, you can break a leg falling over on a sidewalk if you do it right.

With a broken bone in splint or cast, the can't be ANY weight bearing for 6-8 weeks or the ends slip and it's broken again. Crutches will be needed, mobility will be limited.

That era's treatment was to 'reduce the fracture" (pull leg straight, aligning bone ends), splint it with something, and wait. You wouldn't know how it was doing for several weeks.

Boiled leather partial splints - half-cylinders - were common because they could be adjusted a bit as the swelling went down to support the leg by wrapping a bit tighter. "Casts" were waxed linen, or other fabric covered with a thick, hardening paste. You can't put a cast on until the swelling goes down. Our plaster casts were developed later.

Splint MUST immobilize above and below the busted part - slightly above knee to below ankle.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I tripped coming down a muddy hill while camping and broke an ankle. I didn't fall any distance at all and heard the 'crack' as I fell. I did not land on my leg. Image slipping on the ice and landing flat on your face. it was like that. No injury except the ankle. Ow.

p.s.: I was perfectly sober.