How many times do you rework an article before turning it in?

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
I just sent in a 700 word piece for a newspaper. This might sound like small potatoes for some of you pros, but I'm still at the early stages of getting bylines in the big city paper. (I do a lot for the Metro Briefs without a byline.)

Plus it was for a section I hadn't written for yet, so I was overly paranoid to get it right.

So, question: How many times do you guys normally go over an article before turning it in? This one was a record for me, I rewrote it five times to get the dang thing to flow right, answer all the questions the editor told me to look for, and work in enough details.

I figure it was worth the trouble, since I don't land clippable pieces in the Post that often. Then I wonder if I was working it to death...:eek:

speel00

Registered
Reaction score
I write it and check it. If it needs to be edited in my opinion, I'll edit it and then do another read through.

However I have reworked articles at times, like when I don't think they flow right-as you said. Or if I really hate what I wrote and feel like it has no hope to be edited right.

Laurie PK

Fulltime blogger & freelance writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theadventurouswriter.com
I like to write each article for a week! After researching it, I pull the whole thing together roughly, then let it gel for a night or 2. I'll go through the whol thing -- editing and revising -- at least 3 times, on 3 different days, before submitting.

Revisiting it as the week progresses gives me fresh eyes and new insights. It really is amazing how much better it gets as I revise! Those writing experts know what they're talking about with the whole rewriting = good writing thing ;-)

Laurie

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
I rework it until it feels right. Sometimes you can sit down and it all flows and makes sense and covers every point the first time. Sometimes you edit and edit and edit and then realize you need to throw the darn thing out and start over with a different point of view. Every article is different. When you first start writing for a new editor/publication, it often takes more re-working. After you have worked with someone for a while, you have a better idea how they like things put together.

Orientalist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
susanjcunningham.wordpress.com
Is 700 words new for you, Denise? How long are the Metro Briefs?

You'll soon get to the point that, when you have 700 words to write, you'll already know you can only fit in X, Y and Z and you'll even know which order to put them in. It will work itself out in your mind while you're researching. I'll grant you, if it's a totally new subject I might overshoot a bit or maybe initially have the wrong lede. Once I change the lede, the other elements might have to be rearranged.

I like to finish a substantial article at least one day before it's due. Then on the deadline day, I might sharpen up a word or sentence. Maybe substitute a quote. Nothing major. I don't even do that for short things or Web writing. 300 words? 500 words? The possible forms are so limited; what's to rework?

Sure, if you're writing fiction or poetry, you should revise and revise. It will only get better. But to make a living in journalism, you've got to be fast and you've got to be able to say, "It's good enough," even though you know it's not perfect. When you look at the published story a week or a year from now, you'll note some flaws, awkward transitions, whatever. So what? Save near perfection for fiction.

Last edited:

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Is 700 words new for you, Denise? How long are the Metro Briefs?

The Briefs don't have a hard word count, but generally they are 1 to 3 paragraphs. That's easy, since I just have to cough up the one interesting law that was passed that night, or how much someone's spending on park improvements...

I've gotten a few 500 word assignments from the paper, and my typical work for Boy's Life is under 200. More like a "fun facts" written for 10 year old boys.

700 was wierd, because there was juuuust enough room to get into detail, but not enough to tell the whole story. And it was for the business section, so I had to make sure I worked in dollar figures for details I don't normally bother with.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Denise,

You're so right about 700 being a rough word count to work in... I find that exact problem with just enough room to get into detail but not enough to give ALL the details! Trickier than writing 1500 words or more, where essentially most of your research makes it in.

To answer your question, I'm with Orientalist where I don't spend a ton of time re-writing... it IS important to say, "It's good enough" at some point. But this varies *widely* based on the format and the market. My own blog? I skim through it. Magazines that pay $1/word? I revise several times. In many cases, the shorter the piece, if it's for a high-profile client, I revise MORE... every word counts in articles of 500 words or less, even more so than in a much longer piece.

I honestly feel like I used to be a better writer when rates were higher, before the Internet made it acceptable for people to buy articles at $20/pop or less. I can't afford to revise as much as I used to.

Dawn

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
:eek: I turned in the 700 word piece, and my editor said I needed to call one more source to get info from "the horses mouth." Unfortunately, this led to a 30 minute phone call to a charming British gentleman, five pages of notes, and now I've got MORE to wedge into this piece.

I found the paragraph to delete in order to make room, but it really, really hurts.

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh geez. :eek: Dang it! :eek:

Here's a word of advice. When your editor asks if you called that guy in New Zealand to get a quote...ask if you can wait for email contact. I just made a freakin' $70 phone call to round out a $150 article.

At least I'm getting a byline.

I better start digging up some other markets for this story idea, I need to sell it again!

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Oh geez. :eek: Dang it! :eek:

Here's a word of advice. When your editor asks if you called that guy in New Zealand to get a quote...ask if you can wait for email contact. I just made a freakin' $70 phone call to round out a $150 article.

At least I'm getting a byline.

I better start digging up some other markets for this story idea, I need to sell it again!

Can you re-work the information you collected into a story for another publication using a slightly different angle?

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
I like to write a rough draft, then put it away. The next day I take it out and look at it again, smoothing it out. I then put it away again and do this one more time, perhaps two if it needs it.

That said, there are some articles that are done after the first "smoothing". Some are harder than others. I find when I use quoted material, it can take a bit of work to make it all gel.

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I asked about the phone charge and my editor said they don't normally pay for extras - it's a flat fee for them. He sounded sympathetic, so we'll see what happens.

BUT I did get way more out of my interviews than I needed for this piece, so I will pitch a couple variations on the story to some other magazines. At the very least, I have some interesting fodder for Suite.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I just sent in a 700 word piece for a newspaper. This might sound like small potatoes for some of you pros, but I'm still at the early stages of getting bylines in the big city paper. (I do a lot for the Metro Briefs without a byline.)

Plus it was for a section I hadn't written for yet, so I was overly paranoid to get it right.

So, question: How many times do you guys normally go over an article before turning it in? This one was a record for me, I rewrote it five times to get the dang thing to flow right, answer all the questions the editor told me to look for, and work in enough details.

I figure it was worth the trouble, since I don't land clippable pieces in the Post that often. Then I wonder if I was working it to death...:eek:

Small potatoes? Phooey. Woman, you deserve a thumbs up. :) 700 words in a largely circulated publication is great! Stop shortchanging yourself. From what you've listed, you are a pro. (or close!)

Normally, I edit as I go. I don't often go back and do a total rewrite and if I do, the first version is used elsewhere. It's been a while since I pitched and landed in print, but I've only completely re-written -totally changed- something once for a .75 cent a word deal.

Like Cat, I'd be far more likely to do that again for a higher paying market.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
This is awesome Denise! Way to go! I do fuss over my work. lol. I write a rough draft and then go back over it a few time before sending it in. If time permits, I'll ask someone to review it for me. :) Congrats again and sorry to hear about that phone call. lol Maybe you can negotiate that as part of the deal with the editor?

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
great thread!! :)

I totally fuss too much over my printed articles too.. I'm not so particular for the web mostly..

It's really helpful to see how you all go about it - & congrats Denise for landing such a great article too!! :)

I still need to learn to negotiate better & actually get paid proper for the work I do, sigh!! :) & oh I can relate to phone bills, even though smaller!! :)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I was coming out of a slump recently, and every article I wrote had to be read over, then rewritten from scratch. That fortunately only lasted two or three articles, but it was killing me as I NEVER write that roughly or that poorly.

Once I have a decent first draft, I generally put it away for a night, sleep on it, and read it again later. If I don't have a night, I give myself a few hours at least! I rarely need more than one smoothing session. Sometimes on a tight deadline I employ hubby as a backup editor. We always catch completely different things. :)

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
lol I use my Mum to be my 'editor' sometimes - she sometimes sees different things than I do too! :)
& it's good to have another opinion anyway...

I think it's worst if the temperature in the computer room gets too hot & my brains seem to sizzle.. yuck.. :)
must print out the article & carry it to a cooler room downstairs :)

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yep, my mom taught English for years...she's the kind of person who would diagram sentences for fun. I used to let her edit my print stuff when I was feeling paranoid, but I'm more confidant now. Though I have called her up with grammar questions now and again!

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
This thread is really helpful. I find that 700 wc pieces are very tricky for most of the reasons listed above. I've had to learn that writing tight is as much of a skill as anything else we need in our bag of tricks.

As for reworking, I let the piece sit overnight to marinate and then revisit it. One thing that has worked really well for me, though, is to read it out loud. I'm always amazed at things I catch when I do that.

I also use my hubs as first-line ed. He will question phrasing, etc. 95% of the time I agree with him, which is highly unusual :D.

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
My Mum's grammar is bad, but she has some useful insights & is basically target market of a magazine I'm writing for, so if the article passes her judgement, I know it's pretty much okay-ish..

I find writing 1-page/1200-word or so articles tricky too, as it's difficult to focus on the most important things & say everything.. usually end up cutting stuff from longer draft too..

Denise do tell if you manage to get the phone bills paid & how :)

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
I don't sell big time articles, so I don't have time to revise. I write it once, read it again and edit as I go, and turn it in. I usually edit as I go (despite what NaNoWriMo says) and sometimes rearrange a little. I rarely get asked for rewrites, knock on wood, unless I completely missed something in the instructions.