Writing to companies I want to work for - not sure how to word cover email/letter?

Kenzie

Registered
Reaction score
I am in job-hunting hell after returning to Australia from an 18-month stint in Europe. I'm in magazine publishing and have plenty of high-level experience including a year in a publishing company in London. Of course that doesn't help much in the current job market - the industry is small and difficult enough in my city without the additional climate. Sigh.

Anyhow, in the interests of increasing my chances of getting a job - especially in this industry where positions often aren't advertised in the usual way - I've decided to directly approach some of the companies I would like to work for, and hope that something has or will come available sometime soon. This has worked for me pretty well in the past - I got my first job out of uni after basically swamping the industry with my CV, and got four interviews and two job offers.

I have a standard cover letter that I use for job applications (which I tailor for the specific criteria and positions) and I always start that by saying something like 'I am writing in application for XX position, as advertised at XX'. I'm having trouble coming up with a suitable way to open a covering letter or email for a job that isn't specifically advertised. Something like 'I would like to introduce myself and express my interest in working for your company', but perhaps more professional/elegant?

Please help - my brain isn't working well today!

Also - there is one company that I applied for a job with about six months before I went overseas. I came close to getting the job but in the end I didn't. Then, about two months before I was due to leave, the editor emailed me and asked if I was still looking for a job, as they had something in mind for me. I told her I would have loved to take them up on it but I had already made my plans to move to the UK. That editor has left the company now but the publisher met me as well and should remember me I think. How should I word an email to her to let her know that I am back in the country and still interested in working for them, if they have anything available?

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
For a cover letter:

Hello Joe Smith, <- Of some fashion. I usually use Hello. ;)

How you learned of their company, why you want to work for them -> I became interested in your company after reading of your latest publication, The Great Publication. I thought it was brilliant, and wanted to learn more about ABC Publishing.

About you, why are you writing -> I have recently returned from the UK where I was working with XYZ Publishing. You might have seen The Other Great Publication, and Somewhat Great Publication. These were some of the projects I worked on.

Your specific qualifications and interests -> I have continued interest in furthering my editor/producer/copywriter career, and I'd like a chance to come in and talk with you about your company, and perhaps learn where I might best fit in. When is a good time to schedule a meeting? I am available Mon, Wed, Fri between 2 and 7 PM.

I look forward from hearing from you.
Name
Number
Address
Email
Etc.

Plus maybe add a link to your latest creations online, etc. Or add a resume or what not. Then send. Then call the next day to follow up.

Of course, write the above better than I've put it. I've just woke up and my editing skills are nill at the moment.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Hello To Editor/Owner People I Already Know,

I am happy to report that I have returned from the UK, and from working with XYZ Publishing. I have kept up with your publications, including The Great Publication, which I found brilliant. Compliment/blurb.

After finishing my commitment with XYZ and moving back here, I wanted to get back in touch with your company. I'd like to come in and talk with you about the direction ABC publishing is going, and how I can help. When is a good time for me to stop by? I'm available Tuesday and Thursday, between 3 and 9.

Sincerely,
Name
etc.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I've always found that phone calls work better than letters. Just don't call Monday morning or Friday afternoon. While you're chatting them up, try to get an email address where you can send your CV. You can also really gauge their response to your inquiry based on whether they give you their addy, or the general HR one.

Then I follow the calls up with a paper letter so that they have a hard copy of my info to refer to. This way you get at least 2 opportunities at contact.

2old2pb

This Is Serious Mum!
Registered
Reaction score
All a cover letter demonstrates is your ability to beg without looking like you're begging.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
A professional copywriter helps you to make extra profits with each single campaign. But these strategies don’t involve any flashy gimmicks here instead the use of powerful persuasion techniques helps to create a list of customers who are loyal to the business and who indeed will help them in creating a brand out of the small business.
Um, Michelle, what the hell are you talking about? And how come I get the feeling that every time you've posted on AW thus far, you're trying to draw readers to the services advertised in your sig-line?

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Um, Michelle, what the hell are you talking about? And how come I get the feeling that every time you've posted on AW thus far, you're trying to draw readers to the services advertised in your sig-line?
Probably has something to do with the completely unrelated to the topic at hand, post? :D

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Probably has something to do with the completely unrelated to the topic at hand, post? :D
Phew. I'm glad it's not just me. I was shaking my head so hard earlier trying to figure out a relationship to this discussion that I nearly sprained my neck. It still hurts. ;)