Music Suggestions For Those "Special Wedding Moments"?

Pepper

I IS PRANCING
Registered
Reaction score
Website
houseofpeppers.blogspot.com
I'm getting married in early September (squee!) :D and I'm currently trying to provide a list of music for our DJ. He wants me to provide a list of songs for those special wedding day moments......
  • Walking down the aisle
  • Formal entry of Mr & Mrs
  • Bridal waltz (first dance)
  • Cutting the cake
  • Farewell circle
This is supposed to be easy, isn't it? Most people have "special songs" that have sentimental value, and they simply choose those for these special moments. Well....... our special songs are not appropriate for a wedding. ;)

We both have a very eccletic taste in music. We like modern music as well as the hits of the 60's, 70's and 80's. We like pop, rock, ballads, jazz, easy listening, etc etc.
Perhaps it's this wide love for music that is making the job so hard. How do we narrow things down to a few songs that will mark the most memorable moments of our special day?

What suggestions do you guys have? What songs did you have for these moments at your wedding? If you're not married, what songs do you plan to play at your wedding? What songs have friends and family played at their weddings?

Thanks!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I danced with my wife to Chicago's Colour my World when we were married, then our daughter chose the same song for her dance with me when she was married. I was stunned and touched that she had chosen that song, as it's one of my favorite of all time and means so much to me.

(The original track sounds much better than the version linked above.)

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
You know, I don't even remember what our songs were. I thought at the time that I was making pivotal decisions, but in the end...not so very much.

DL has my vote. Just pick a few songs you really like, and enjoy the moment. That is what it is about.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I used the theme music to Masterpiece Theatre for my walk down the aisle with my dad. He's not a real sophisticated guy (carpenter, military dude), but he likes certain pieces of classical music and that has always been one of his favorites. He would hum along when we watched that show. He was surprised and pleased when it came on. Hee hee.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember all those, but our first married dance was Something in the Way She Moves by James Taylor. And the father/daughter dance was Eva Cassidy's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I also love the oldies like The Way You Look Tonight and At Last (though I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of that one after the Obamas inauguration dance).

But yeah, definitely pick what you like. (And most other people aren't really going to be paying that close attention or remember later!)

som1luvsmi

My brother loves me thiiis much! :)
Registered
Reaction score
About a block away from the nuthouse...they've sta
Website
randomlyabstract.blogspot.com
The only thing I've been able to afford planning for my wedding(to the same guy I was married to the first time) is the music.

That being said, I plan on walking down the aisle to Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve (the intro is phenomenal). Sway by Michael Buble or Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls for the first dance. For the formal entry: our song while we were first dating, Praise You by Fat Boy Slim. The exit song will probably be Say Goodnight and Go by Imogen Heap or Just a Ride by Jem.

I give full permission to use any of these songs as long as you tell me how it goes afterwards. :D

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I wanted to walk down the aisle to Stuck In The Middle With You by Steelers Wheel, but hubby wouldn't let me, so I went with Led Zep instead.

Other than that, I would go for Van Morrison (you'd have to have a listen and pick what speaks to you) or Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin.

My Best friend used Something Stupid by Frank for her first dance, I went with Sway by Dean.

I love Dean Martin. :)

Or Volare, I think that could be good too.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
There's that Gordon Lightfoot song of the obvious name, it's real biblical and sentimental and stuff...

but then:
Queen's Another One Bites The Dust for the Formal Entry.

Pink Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall for cutting the cake.
I'm reminded of some newpaper article I read ages ago that one of the most popular songs at receptions was, strangely enough, about a young man meeting gay happy friends at the "YMCA."

BTW, how much can you (er, your father) afford to spend on this wedding?
http://www.grabow.biz/Contemporary/GordonLightfoot.htm

Kenzie

Registered
Reaction score
It's your wedding so I say no music is inappropriate! Well, okay, some could be in bad taste...actually at my wedding I deliberately included some 'inappropriate' songs in the general playlist, just to see if anyone was paying atttention. A friend dared me to play 'Drunken Punch-Up at a Wedding' by Radiohead and I did. Not sure if anyone noticed or not! All in all we had a very eclectic mix put together with the help of our best man who is also a DJ. We also had various instruments laying around - bongo and conga drums, tambourines etc - so people could join and jam with the music. It went down a treat - I will never forget my 80-year-old granddad enthusiastically rapping away on the conga drums (or shaking his bootay to Run DMC!)

We didn't really do most of the traditional 'moments' but we did have some specific songs for the ceremony. From memory:

My aisle walk song: "Across the Universe" - John Lennon
Signing the registry: "Soul Meets Body" - Death Cab for Cutie, and something else, I forget now - possibly "This Will Be Our Year" by OK Go
After the ceremony: "Hip to Be Square" by Huey Lewis and the News - our 'end of a cheesy 80's movie' moment, and the words are pretty funny in a wedding context!

A friend of mine played and sang "Feeling Good" (Nina Simone/Muse depending on the version) at the reception as a potential first dance song, but we didn't dance - just had a private moment together somewhere at the back of the room.

Last edited:

Pepper

I IS PRANCING
Registered
Reaction score
Website
houseofpeppers.blogspot.com
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Keep 'em coming. :D

To clarify, our "special songs" are about break-up, cheating, etc. Sounds weird, but those just happened to be the songs that were playing in the background during those sentimental moments. :p That's what I mean about our special songs being inappropriate. ;) I would personally be irked if we played songs like that at our wedding- especially if any of our guests happen to know what the song's singing about.

Now we're left with choosing songs that we love. I'm loving your suggestions so far!

......... well, maybe we won't be playing YMCA, but I'm sure you'll forgive us. :D

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
That being said, I plan on walking down the aisle to Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve

Um...I agree that the melody is gorgeous, but the lyrics are awfully bleak for a wedding: "Tryin' to make ends meet, you're a slave to money then you dieeeeee."

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Black Sabbath's Supernaut by 1000 Homo DJs., which is sung by ol' Nine Inch Nails himself, Trent Reznor.

"Oh, yeah, Dad. Don't worry. We'll cut the cake to music by 1000 Homo DJs. Should be fun."
"Are you sure you can fit that many people in the reception hall?"

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of stuff by Stevie Wonder, esp. "Ribbon in the sky".

Van Morrison is another great suggestion. His Best of CDs, Vol. 1 and 2, pretty much cover all your bases. "Moondance" is a nice one. "Brown-eyed girl", if it applies.

I want my wedding dance song to be "Jungle Fever" by Stevie, sort of because it's awesome and sort of to mess with people.

My friend's first dance song was "Safety Dance" by Men With Hats. I think I fell off my chair laughing when it came on. But it was strangely perfect for the couple and the occasion.

My other friends had "Power of Two" by the Indigo Girls, which is really pretty, despite its mathematically nonsensical directive to "multiply love by the power of two". Clearly one can multiply love by something else, snuggling perhaps, or nachos. Or one could take love to the power of two, thus multiplying love by itself. But one cannot truly multiply love by the power of two. Anyway.

Oh! Another one I fancy for my wedding is "No One" by Alicia Keys.

Oh! "Take on Me" by A-ha. The lyrics seem to be a bit nonsensical but the song's very romantic.

And "Put Your Records On" by Corrine Bailey Rae--her musical style is crazy romantic IMO.

It's hard because most really good songs are about angry or sad dysfunctional relationships. And most songs about twoo wuv are really schmoopy and awful. There is a small set of good ones though. Good luck and congrats on the wedding! :D

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
When we got married in 1996 (Thirteen years ago today!) the Brady Bunch Movie had recently come out. I had the soundtrack which she and I both enjoyed listening to. We decided that when we got married, we wanted our first dance to be to Girl by Davey Jones from the Brady Bunch Movie soundtrack. It was a "grunge" style of Girl which sounded very cool, totally unlike Davey Jones's original version which was in the Brady Bunch episode, you all know the one.

So, that's what we danced to for our first song.

Dichroic

that's di-CROW-ick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
riseagain.net
For my dance with my father / his with his mother, we played Sunrise, Sunset. Because that's exactly what it's about and because my parents used to sing it to me in my crib.

som1luvsmi

My brother loves me thiiis much! :)
Registered
Reaction score
About a block away from the nuthouse...they've sta
Website
randomlyabstract.blogspot.com
Um...I agree that the melody is gorgeous, but the lyrics are awfully bleak for a wedding: "Tryin' to make ends meet, you're a slave to money then you dieeeeee."

True. But the intro is almost exactly a minute long and I would have a pretty short aisle. :D

Considering why we've had to put it off for so long, it's actually quite fitting. :)