Knowing (Nicholas Cage)

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh... Can't understand why Roger Ebert gave it four stars (that was the reason I watched it in the first place). Good concept, the first two acts were well done, some scenes were superbly shot (like the long-take of the airplane crash), but the ending... It was such a cop-out, and so unoriginal. And it seems to have dropped the whole theme of the movie out of the window.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Meh. I wanted to see it until I read the spoiler for the end. Now, there's no way I'd waste my time. When I first saw the previews, I thought it was a remake of the movie Timescape, which I liked when I was a kid... no such luck :(

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really didn't like it, and I'm a fan of director Alex Proyas. But this whole movie, from the storyline to the dialogue to the acting and finally inconsistent effects, was a complete letdown.

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
but the ending... It was such a cop-out, and so unoriginal. And it seems to have dropped the whole theme of the movie out of the window.

Exactly.

And they ended up in the Elysium of Gladiator. :rant:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It was great up until the reveal of who the strangers were and what it was really about, then it just fell apart. Still, the final scenes are really spectacular SFX.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty obvious who the strangers were going to be, and had been expecting the end b/c the Christian allusion was getting obvious by the time we got there. I really just thought the acting was horrible.

I just saw this at the dollar theater the other day.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
It was great up until the reveal of who the strangers were and what it was really about, then it just fell apart. Still, the final scenes are really spectacular SFX.

That's why I stayed. Because there was this one moment where I started laughing and then wanted to get up and leave.
But maybe those spectacular scenes were worth staying.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
Such unfulfilled promise and so many dead ends. What was the point of the whole "predetermination vs. randomness" theme that filled the beginning of the movie? It was never really addressed or resolved.

And the acting from all involved in the final act was just horrible. Its sad when the best actors on the screen are the Strangers, because all they have to do is stand around and look menancing.

Ebert was on crack when he gave this four stars.

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
I felt this was one of the best movies of the summer. Go ahead, hate me, but it really was. I saw it five times.

I happen to blow off most movies, as I did Star Trek and Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen. I have particular taste.

If our magnetosphere goes down (like it will when our magnetic poles reverse - anytime now up to 2,000 years from now, according to many scientists), and we are hit with a coronal mass ejection (CME) from our Sun (or a long past, far away supernova), we are goners.

Some UFOlogists speculate that before every mass extinction, ET (who planted us here to begin with) will come back and try to save as many of us as they can (if we are still able to reproduce). SPOILER - In the movie, they took only the small children. END OF SPOILER. ETs? We are their children. We resemble them. They are responsible for us.

The movie was very realistic with its portrayal of the CME devastating Earth and killing everything off. I guess I like realism. No matter how much it hurts.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with Nicholas Cage is that, no matter how much muscle he puts on, he still looks like Nicholas Cage. It's a tragedy.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with Nicholas Cage is that, no matter how much muscle he puts on, he still looks like Nicholas Cage. It's a tragedy.

Not only that, but somehow--be it because of the horrible roles he's taken (The Wicker Man) or just something natural about his features that can't be helped--he has developed a face that I (and many others I presume) just can't take seriously anymore. I mean look at this. It's a still photo and it nonetheless come across somehow as bad acting.

knowing1.jpg

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also: How did this film get made? Not that I'm bitter because it's pure 'so bad its the funniest thing ever'

The Wicker Man is without question the worst big budget, major studio film I've ever seen. It's worse than any of the horrible Eddie Murphy comedies, worse than Batman & Robin, worse than anything. It's the only movie where I completely can't see how they might have thought the movie would work as intended. It's the only movie that I seriously think could be one big practical joke played on the viewer.

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
I do not care for Nick Cage, but this movie was terrific. I think if you don't understand everything that's going on, you might have a problem with it. (Of course, I do not mean you guys.) The movie was plausible.

The movie was not perfect, of course. What movie is?

It had both a horrifying and beautiful ending. SPOILER - The mother of the little girl - making her die prematurely was cop out writing. SPOILER END

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Good movie until it turns out to be an overlong episode of the Twilight Zone.

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
The Wicker Man is without question the worst big budget, major studio film I've ever seen. It's worse than any of the horrible Eddie Murphy comedies, worse than Batman & Robin, worse than anything. It's the only movie where I completely can't see how they might have thought the movie would work as intended. It's the only movie that I seriously think could be one big practical joke played on the viewer.

totally agree. I kept hoping it would get better, but... no such luck.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
[derail] Hie thee all to the nearest rental place and watch the original The Wicker Man with Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee. One of the best eerie movies that ever freaked this Lily out. [/derail]

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
It was so bad it was entertaining. Most of the sets looked like left-overs from other movies (Proyas really does like round windows) and the whisperers looked like rejects from Dark City.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I watched it this last week and thought the concept held great ideas. The whole movie put the major part on the wrong parts...IMHO.

SPOILER.ALERT.Too much time spent on a drinking dad...(took little acting to show that.) Too much time on why dad was not into dating.... To me all the timeeeee they spent 'acting out all these parts' made them rush through all the interesting parts. Then last 20% of the movie appeared to be slapped together and brought to an end because they were running out of time for us to sit through it.

I had such high hopes for this movie. I'm glad I only rented it and didn't go see it in a theater.

10er

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was a mess. Unlikeable and/or cliche characters. (The drinking bitter widower, the dimwitted people not believing things in the face of hard evidence, the single mom carrying her parents' emotional baggage... ugh.) Add a plot that was painfully predictable (except for the numerous nonsensical parts) and a finale that redefines the word "pretentious" and you have - well: definitely not a 4/5 star movie.
I can't believe the genius behind Dark City produced this.

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
I really felt like I wasted my money on this movie. Bad acting and tons of plot holes. Phooeey.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe the genius behind Dark City produced this.

Not necessary poor directing skills -- maybe you'll have to blame the screenwriting.

10er

Registered
Reaction score
Not necessary poor directing skills -- maybe you'll have to blame the screenwriting.

This is true of course. But the big question is: why did he agree to direct it?
Similar to "how did Christian Bale end up in Terminator 4 and Ben Kingsley in Species?"

Idkwiaowiw

I'm late for life! Shoot.
Registered
Reaction score
I saw it in theaters soon after it came out. I became SO convinced that the writer's were about to make something really original. I kept on thinking, "Something really shocking is going to happen, something really shocking is going to happen." And then the credits came on. *sigh.* What a waste of ten dollars.