Need some help with psychedelics

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I have no experience with, and no knowledge of psychedelic substances, but now I kind of need to either find one that suits my purposes, or make one up that has relatively real-life-esque effects.

See, my fantasy world has this bunch of immortal warriors with precognitive powers, and an experienced immortal is teaching a new one the ins and outs of her powers. It occurred to me to have the mentor give the new kid a substance that sort of kick-starts the psychic powers by temporarily messing with the brain chemistry. Kind of like dangerous training wheels. :)

I might also go with intense meditation or sensory deprivation, but can someone recommend a substance that the newbie can either drink or chew to 'see the world differently', or describe the effects of those kinds of things so I can make up my own?

Oh, and it's a pre-industrial world, so the stuff needs to be either natural, or easy to make.

Thanks.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Peyote would be a good choice, except it's indigenous to only North America.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Check out Erowid. The section on 'plants and drugs' might be helpful.
eta: Another option besides peyote would be salvia. It can be a pretty rough high (not that I know personally), but it's kindof along the lines of what you are looking for. And does grow naturally over a pretty wide region.

Last edited:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
There is a mold called ergot which might suit your needs, as it exhibits all of the properties of LSD. In small doses it can cause hallucinations, though is associated with nausia, headaches, dehydration and - in cases where a person has overdosed - death. It was suggested as a possible explanation for the hysteria in Salem during the witch trials.

BNET has a page on the subject.

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Peyote. A little birdie told me this is a mind-altering high. An outstandingly mind-altering and memorable experience.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Psilocybin mushrooms grow all over the world, and have similar effects to LSD. The aforementioned Erowid site has much useful info of them, and other things.

Morning Glory seeds contain an analogue to LSD and were used by Native Americans as well.

Another possibility, less familiar, is Yaje:

"Another substance used in South America, especially in the Amazon basin, is a drink called ayahuasca, caapi, or yajé, which is produced from the stem bark of the vines Banisteriopsis caapi and B. inebrians. Indians who use it claim that its virtues include healing powers and the power to induce clairvoyance, among others. This drink has been certified by investigators to produce remarkable effects, often involving the sensation of flying. The effects are thought to be attributable to the action of harmine, a very stable indole (structurally related to LSD) that is the active principle in the plant."

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I would say peyote or mushrooms. I would tend to sway more towards peyote. I'd check out Carlos Castaneda if I were you.

Personally, I love mushrooms.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I second raburrell. Go to erowid immediately. Everything you've ever wanted to know about every intoxicating substance known to man is there. I spent days and days there reading the real-life accounts of the effects of hallucinogens when I needed to write a scene involving them (figures it's the one type of drug I'd never had person experience with).

Personally, for fantasy, I always make up my own substances, but it's very helpful to know about all the real ones so you can decide on the exact effects of your fantasy substance.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, these are the most common ones really used for what you're talking about. There are literally at least scores more. One thing I'd consider is how long do you want the crazy part to last? If you're not talking making a day of it, choose something else.

I have a vine growing in my yard right now that was used for that strange mixture of Native American-meets-Granny Witch magick in the South. It [make a tea] renders the person unconscious, but they wake up with the questions of the universe answered ;) No hallucinations, which may not be helpful in your plot, then.

You'd better PM me if interested in that... it's actually a very common plant and these are teh interwebs, ya know ;)

I do know a lot of whacky uses for herbs, actually... if anyone ever wants to PM me on that. Another thought for yours is an old-timey absinthe high.

How long should the high be, and do you mind if your characters will probably vomit, lol?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I second the suggestion of Psilocybin mushrooms

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
I have no experience with, and no knowledge of psychedelic substances, but now I kind of need to either find one that suits my purposes, or make one up that has relatively real-life-esque effects.

Thanks.

If I'm remembering correctly (and I think I am) part of the European witch's 'flying ointment' contained foxglove - which is a dangerous hallucinogen. It is the precursor for heart medications under 'digitalis'.

There were other things involved, but foxglove is sticking out for me.

Rabe...

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
How long should the high be, and do you mind if your characters will probably vomit, lol?

I haven't decided on the duration, actually. Just however long it takes to kick-start my totally fictional psychic powers. :) Seriously though, not that long. A few minutes would be just enough, and an entire day is too much; I just need the new kid to figure out how to access this particular part of her mind, and it's mostly just a matter of a mental "hey, look over THERE".

As for vomit . . . well, I'd prefer not, but it's not totally out of the question.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I haven't decided on the duration, actually. Just however long it takes to kick-start my totally fictional psychic powers. :) Seriously though, not that long. A few minutes would be just enough, and an entire day is too much; I just need the new kid to figure out how to access this particular part of her mind, and it's mostly just a matter of a mental "hey, look over THERE".

As for vomit . . . well, I'd prefer not, but it's not totally out of the question.

in that case, i'm going to reiterate my salvia suggestion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum

I read lots of stuff about people meeting gods from other cultures while on salvia. Total trip time is generally under an hour. There was a thread on Salon.com somewhere where people described their trips, but it's escaping my googlefu at the moment.
eta: found it: http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/06/18/salvia/

Last edited:

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
in that case, i'm going to reiterate my salvia suggestion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum

I read lots of stuff about people meeting gods from other cultures while on salvia. Total trip time is generally under an hour. There was a thread on Salon.com somewhere where people described their trips, but it's escaping my googlefu at the moment.
eta: found it: http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/06/18/salvia/

Oh great suggestion...and it's easy to obtain (in most states) although that may change in the near future.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Khat (qat) is a stimulant, not a hallucinogen.

Actually, I wasn't aware he specifically wanted/needed a "hallucinogen" but rather something that would work for the stated purposes:

See, my fantasy world has this bunch of immortal warriors with precognitive powers, and an experienced immortal is teaching a new one the ins and outs of her powers. It occurred to me to have the mentor give the new kid a substance that sort of kick-starts the psychic powers by temporarily messing with the brain chemistry. Kind of like dangerous training wheels. :)

I might also go with intense meditation or sensory deprivation, but can someone recommend a substance that the newbie can either drink or chew to 'see the world differently', or describe the effects of those kinds of things so I can make up my own?

Oh, and it's a pre-industrial world, so the stuff needs to be either natural, or easy to make.

I suggested Khat as it seems to fit his requirements in that it's natural, is most often chewed and produces "euphoria, a feeling of increased alertness and energy, hyperactivity...and lack of fatigue. The users also feel relaxed and talkative...Khat is abused for its stimulant and euphoric effects. Most often the fresh leaves and shoots of the khat shrub are chewed, and then retained in the cheek and chewed intermittently until all the juices are extracted..."

My apologies --- next time I'll be more specific! :tongue

Last edited:

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Belladonna! (Jimson weed; http://www.erowid.org/plants/datura/datura_info5.shtml or nightshade; http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/n/nighde05.html) The berries and leaves of this plant can produce intense experiences, but the problem is that it can cause serious health problems (like death) and leave no clear memory of what was experienced except that there were visions and insights or some sort. Also, this experience can be unpleasant. Belladonna has a history of use in Europe for shamanistic experiences. To use, you cook it down and make a tea or a poltice. There were legit medical uses for this.

Mushrooms (you can make up a type of do some research on what's used around the world) would be a good choice, too. Kalidescope visions, interesting distortions to the real world, low incedents of panic or bad experience unless there's an overdose.

Also, mushroom can be cooked and put in 'sacred food' without losing the needed properties.