Anyone else here have/love horses?

Mythical Tiger

I RUN WITH THE TIGERS
Registered
Reaction score
Deep in the woods, running with the Tigers......
I've been wondering this for some time. Do any of you have horses or love them? Or both? If so, what type, age, height, color, name, ect.

I have a Kiger Mustang who is 2 and will be 3 next month. She is 13 hands and is a dun. Her name is Sonita which I think means 'daughter of the sun' in spanish. Somewhere around there:tongue. She's registered. Ummmm, I got her when she was 9 months and have been training her since. I got her for a b-day present..... She has the type of personality where she'll be a brat just to annoy you and get what she wants. She's the type where you need to work really hard for her respect. Lastly she's very cute with a way too long mane^_^.

That's enough about my dork. What about you guys?

~Sam

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
My family used to raise and show Morgans. I had three: Dusty (15.3 HH, chestnut that looked almost dun, showed western/trail), Commodore (16 HH, bright chestnut, sold him after he fucked up my shoulder and I couldn't work with him anymore), and Jazzie (14.2 HH, bay, showed in everything...saddleseat, huntseat, western, driving, etc). Dusty is still happily living with his new owner and doing dressage, Commodore is a trail horse with his new owner. Jazzie, unfortunately, passed away in 2004.

I miss having horses. Someday, someday.

Caramia

Alliteration Afflicted
Registered
Reaction score
Grew up on a broodmare farm. Had 2-5 horses of my own since I was 7. Been years, (12 now, wow) since I've had the pleasure of their constant company. Sorely miss the personalities and even the scent. I am hopeful this will be fixed in time and I will again be in their presence daily.

First story was highly focused around horses. Particularly one named Sadie, who was based on a real Sadie. A buckskin mare worthy of a story in her honor :)

Mythical Tiger

I RUN WITH THE TIGERS
Registered
Reaction score
My family used to raise and show Morgans. I had three: Dusty (15.3 HH, chestnut that looked almost dun, showed western/trail), Commodore (16 HH, bright chestnut, sold him after he fucked up my shoulder and I couldn't work with him anymore), and Jazzie (14.2 HH, bay, showed in everything...saddleseat, huntseat, western, driving, etc). Dusty is still happily living with his new owner and doing dressage, Commodore is a trail horse with his new owner. Jazzie, unfortunately, passed away in 2004.

I miss having horses. Someday, someday.
I'm glad they are still happy and RIP Jazzie. Thanks for sharing :). I really hope you'll have horses again. They really are amazing animals;).

Grew up on a broodmare farm. Had 2-5 horses of my own since I was 7. Been years, (12 now, wow) since I've had the pleasure of their constant company. Sorely miss the personalities and even the scent. I am hopeful this will be fixed in time and I will again be in their presence daily.

First story was highly focused around horses. Particularly one named Sadie, who was based on a real Sadie. A buckskin mare worthy of a story in her honor :)
Oh yes, the scent. I love the scent of hay, grain, shavings, leather, and all around horse all mingled together in the barn. That and my horse make the barn my favorite place to go. We used to have 2 buckskins. A filly and mare. But we sold them when I was 10. Thanks for sharing and I hope you'll have horses again, soon.

~Sam

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Would you count a timeshare in the horses at Lexington's Horse Park?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Never been able to afford a horse of my own, but worked with them for years ( till a certain Odin - oh the irony - threw me off onto a rock and screwed my back) in England and at a horse rescue place in the Balearics. You do not wish to know what the locals did to their horses - they were pretty screwed up.

And I miss the smell of saddle soap.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I have five horses- A Quarterhorse mare, in my pic below a birthday gift from my then soon to be husband, her colt (Ha! he's 13 now) another quarter,

A Morgan/Quarter cross (he's 34)

and two minis- mother and daughter- talk about personality!

We don't show, just trail ride and I train on the side.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Until January when I moved, I had a mustang filly rescued from some crazy woman who got 25 mustangs from the BLM and then didn't take care of them. My girl's name was Patience, and she'd been handled before - I walked her by hand from the crazy lady's place to mine (about five miles), and could pick up her feet and handle her. I was getting near being able to get a saddle on her when my job situation went bad and I had to move. I miss her, and horses in general, terribly.

White-Tean

Illustration Student
Registered
Reaction score
Website
white-tean.livejournal.com
I've got three (and my mother has one). First horse is Vandal 21 y.o. purebred QH, 16hh gelding, chestnut flaxen mane and a great white splodge on his nose. He's a great horse, I got him when I was 12 but he turned up arthritic after only about 7 months of work. We still have him, because he's family and we don't get rid of animals we own, but he's been retired for about eight years on a property a friend's family owns.

Second horse is a Hanoverian/TB first cross, again 16hh, brown/bay with white flecking mare who I bought as a rising four year old. Her name is Arwen and she’s a great horse, I had her broken and rode her out to pony club three weeks later. She’s got a bit of pep and can get moody but she’s very, very clever. I’ve had her as my riding horse (dressage, pleasure) for seven years and she’s been great. Like my first horse she’s got a great temperament, and I’ve never met a horse who took greater pains to avoid running over people— when we hadn’t had my mother’s horse long she lunged after mine and tore into her with her teeth, I was on the other side of my horse and my poor (but considerate) mare just stood there rather than jump into me. She still throws the occasional tanty, but she’s pretty amazing.

Bred her five years ago after my mother was offered a chance to breed a mare and it fell through and I was going to be in my final year of high-school the next year, so it wound up that we bred my mare instead, and thus chilled horse semen was what I got for my 16th birthday. I bred her to a Swedish warmblood stallion imported from Europe (a champion small tour horse registered as Magritte 780, 16.2hh). I saw him advertised for AI online and he looked similar to my mare so I figured there wouldn’t be any surprises to how the foal would turn out (I like browns and bays, they're low maintence colours, and I wouldn't have a grey in AUS because of skin cancer, and flies seem to find chestnuts extra tasty, and not many palominos or buckskins are bred for dressage sadly), and when we looked at the tape the owner sent his extension of stride was more amazing than any horse I’d ever seen (dressage champions included). So we went with him and my filly, Mango is close to four now will probably be 16hh or so (like that size, I'm 5'10" and I don't believe in feeding horse height I'm not going to use), and is just gorgeous. The personality is the same goofy, gentle nature of my mare, and she has her father’s gorgeous eyes. She’s a lovely striking bright bay and I’ll be breaking her in next year since I’ll be finished with this degree by then, and I plan on riding her (and her mother too) in competitive dressage.

My parents happened to be in the area her sire is, and got to meet him in the flesh, and loved him even more then. He’s totally magnificent, and I hope my filly is half the horse.
... also, I can’t shut up about my horses. I love them too much. I need to restrain myself before I start sharing photos.

Last edited:

White-Tean

Illustration Student
Registered
Reaction score
Website
white-tean.livejournal.com
I can share photos? Awesome! I totally want to see all your photos too!
Some of these photos are a bit dated, they're just what I could find on my hard-drive. I need to take more photos this spring when they shed their winter wooly. ;)

vandal.png

My first horse, Vandal in his scrubby farm property. I have a better picture of him eating from his feed bin with one of his goat friends, but his nose wasn't able to be seen and I love that splodge. He's shuffled around between several paddocks and kept at various times with sheep, goats, other equines and an emu named Bill - he's lovely and gentle with all of them and is happy to let the rams chew his tail and when his favourite sheep lambed he was the first over to welcome the new baby and unwittingly scared the bejeezus out of the mother and lamb. The caretaker is very fond of him because he's so easy-going.

arwen-young.png

This is Arwen, my mare. This photo is about three years old I think from when we were weaning her filly, so she's about 7/8 years old here. I don’t have any nice photos that are on hand from more recent unfortunately, but I will disclaim that yes, she’s a bit chubbier and shaggier right at this moment, but I’m looking forward to riding a lot now it’s my holidays. During next semester I might have a friend riding her Mondays because she recently sold her own horse and I don't ride on Mondays generally because it's family dinner night.

Mango-young.png

This is my youngest Mango, it's about a year and a half old (or so) so she's grown since then, but she's still quite gangly.

Anyway, want to see your darlings too!

Last edited:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'm rarely happier than when I'm riding. I don't have my own, but I'm committed to riding a friend's horse every weekend for the next few weeks or so. And she thinks I'm doing her a favor. Ha! :D

claire

Registered
Reaction score
I have two Hannoverians, a Quarter Horse, a Shetland pony, and two miniature donkeys.

Never a dull moment around here!

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
I have....seven? Lawn ornaments, at the moment. We trail ride, run barrels, and show at the county fair. Lots of fun. Every two weeks, when I get paid, I pretty much just cash my check and drive back and forth between the vet, the feed store and the farrier. Oh, and the tack shop. Can't forget them, LOL!

Seriously, I love all my babies. We rescued most of them from slaughter, and they are our loves. Big. Fat. Lazy. Loves.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I used to have an appaloosa named Prince. Greatest horse who ever lived. Sigh.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
You can see me on one of mine this past winter here.

Note the total absence of helmet. Just waiting for more complaints to pour in.

Mythical Tiger

I RUN WITH THE TIGERS
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* My girl was acting like a priss today. I was going to mount her for the second time and she freaked out and bolted the first time I tried to get on. The second time I tried she bucked right when I was about to swing my leg over. My boot got stuck and I almost fell under her. Luckly my boot came out and I'm fine. It's just my luck that the day my dad decides to stay at the stables and let me ride Sonita when she's in heat. Damnit. A gelding or stallion, I'm not sure, by the name of Huck was showing off in the pasture next to the arena and was making Sonita even more bitchy. Of course she kind of apoligized in a horse way in the stall by nudging my shoulder a bit before eating the corn husk stuff I brought her.

Sorry for the long desciption guys. I was just so bummed out that I didn't get to ride her. Of course I didn't get her because I only wanted to ride. I was just so bummed because I've spent 2 years patiently training her and earning her respect and trust. Oh well, I'll get over it. I mean, mares are mares and extremly grumpy when in heat:D. Maybe next time.

~Sam

Last edited:

Mythical Tiger

I RUN WITH THE TIGERS
Registered
Reaction score
You. Got. A PONY. For. Your birthday.

Man! I knew I was getting gypped.
Lol, ya. My parents weren't even planning on getting a horse for me. We just went to a kiger ranch that was near us to see a horse that we use to own when I was 10. Then we found out the ranch had a troubled horse that had been abused for 16 years before it came there. The owners offered to giver her to us if we got along. My moms plan was to see how the horse was and if it worked out the horse would be mine. But then something happened that she didn't expect. She grew attached. For a month she trained her and she pretty much got a horse and I didn't. I wasn't too sad over it thhough. The nice owner of a colt that she bought from the ranch let me mess around with him. Then one day I was out in the field, helping to catch the abused horse, Contessa, when I saw a half wild filly. Sonita. A week later the owner of the ranch asked if I wanted to work with her while my mom was busy and I agreed.

I had no idea she would be such a brat:tongue. Sonita was 9 months when I met her. One day while working with her, the owner of the ranch said that Sonita wasn't hers and was her friend who had no idea to do with Sonita. No matter what she did, that filly gave her trouble. Since she couldn't sell her herself, she asked if the owner of the Kiger ranch could try to. I don't know why, me who hadn't had a horse for almost three years and didn't have much experience, looked at my mom and said, "I want her." It took my mom awhile to decide and then she found out the price and told me we can't. She was to expensive. The owner of the ranch had told Sonita's owner about me and guess what? She lowered the price $4,000 to $2,000. Which is pretty cheap for a Kiger Mustang even at $4,000. What made it even more surprising was she was registered. Which makes her even more valuable. So, my parents bought her for my b-day. Now I have a horse and so does my mom. Though sadly my mom isin't going along with her responsibilities and I now take care of both of them.

Wow..... There I went again, typing too much:tongue. I just wanted to explain that I was really lucky and fate unfolded itself and gave me a brat that has way too much attitude. But I love her with everything she is.

Oh ya and I think I got a compound bow for that same b-day......:D

~Sam