Amputation - That Thing In Your Mouth

Admiral Snuggles

Registered
Reaction score
You know when someone gets something amputated and they put a piece of wood or cloth in the soon-to-be amputee's mouth for what I guess is anesthesia. There has just got to be a name for it. But I can't find it anywhere.

Doctors?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that's for anesthesia; I think that's to keep them from biting their tongue as well as give them something to do while the sawbones does the job. Lessens that annoying screaming as well.

In old movies and westerns they always gave the amputee whiskey to drink beforehand. If it had been me, and someone was going to saw my leg off, I would have drunk a case of the stuff.

Sorry, I don't think I've ever heard of a special name for the thing someone bites down on.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
No it's not a chloroform mask. Though if you were sawing off any part of my body, I'd be begging for it. I don't think there's a special name for it.

Odd. I just looked up the Civil War amputations and apparently the fact that they gave patients just a bullet to bite (no special name for said bullet. It's also where the term 'bite the bullet' came from I assume) is a myth. so where did I read that it's real...

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
In Patrick O'Brian's books there are a lot of naval battles, and the occasional amputation as well. They use a piece of leather for this purpose, and they also get out the leather-wrapped chains to hold the person still. I understand their purpose, but to me it always seemed sort of kinky...

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
The piece of wood, leather, what have you is for biting down on to try to get through the pain- it is not anesthesia- they cut the parts off while the poor bastards were awake- the best they could hope for is to pass out-

Tiz_Mee

iz bossy . . .
Registered
Reaction score
"put a piece of wood or cloth in the soon-to-be amputee's mouth "

Bit (noun)--anything that curbs or restrains (dictionary.com)

Not sure if this was the word you were looking for

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I think there's a thing with willow bark (?) in some cultures. It does have a compound in it similar to aspirin (?), but I think if you're talking amputation, it's kinda firehose and teacup territory.

(?) means I'm too lazy to check at the moment, so don't take my word for it.

Admiral Snuggles

Registered
Reaction score
"put a piece of wood or cloth in the soon-to-be amputee's mouth "

Bit (noun)--anything that curbs or restrains (dictionary.com)

Not sure if this was the word you were looking for

I think a "bit", (like in a horses mouth) is probably as close as I can get.

Hey thanks for all the feedback. And I did use google BTW.

Oh, and alleycat, my character does get drunk before the amputation. Don't have the wherewithall to let my main character undertake a double-amputation without at least a few swigs.