How do I?

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Push past boundaries I've always set in my life, so I can write openly and expressively about taboo subjects?

Or it it that I'm reaching beyond my own experience or ability to convey my thoughts?

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
I think as writers, often times we need to reach past our own experiences to able to write Cassie. I think, to do it authentically, we have to relate unknown experiences to ones we have had, if that makes any sense?

The best course of action is probably to sit down and force a few words out on the subjects which make you uncomfortable. At first, it may not be wonderful writing and you may not write a lot but with practice, you might find yourself become more comfortable and it will flow more easily.

If this doesn't work, at least you will know you tried and it wasn't for you but if they are subjects you truly feel you need to express, you might find with perserverance that they don't remain so taboo in your mind.

Good luck with it and I hope you find a way to do it.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I think as writers, often times we need to reach past our own experiences to able to write Cassie. I think, to do it authentically, we have to relate unknown experiences to ones we have had, if that makes any sense?

The best course of action is probably to sit down and force a few words out on the subjects which make you uncomfortable. At first, it may not be wonderful writing and you may not write a lot but with practice, you might find yourself become more comfortable and it will flow more easily.

If this doesn't work, at least you will know you tried and it wasn't for you but if they are subjects you truly feel you need to express, you might find with perserverance that they don't remain so taboo in your mind.

Good luck with it and I hope you find a way to do it.
That makes sense. I do feel the need to express some thoughts, feelings...that up until recently I would have and have felt were taboo to even think about let alone talk about.

I don't want to do it in short story but rather in poetry but the length is a bit daunting. :)

Thanks for your feedback.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I just put out my elbows and push. What are you trying to push past, Cass? Maybe if you explained better...

If I'm writing about something that is too taboo, in my eyes, I turn off the editor. Basically, I tell him to fuck off and shut up. And I ignore the reader...you can't push past a boundary if you are keeping the reader in mind. Ignore the reader...because they are not there yet...they don't count. Write the taboo as if you are the only one reading it. It's a bit freeing.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Things that I would be judged for...sensuality...desire...anger...jealousy...hatred. Those kinds of things.

Those things are easy for me to write poetry about. Hot topics for me, actually. I think you may be having trouble with your internal editor. That's what it sounds like. Once you START pushing through...it gets easier. You have to trust yourself enough to turn the switch on that editor. The things you list here are pretty typical topics for poetry, I would think. Don't worry about what others will think of you. Don't judge yourself based on your morals or the possible morals of others...just explore these things through poetry and turn everything else off.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think it also has to do with measuring myself against other poets in here, not knowing or understanding meter or form. I stop and think every time I write a stanza.

Don't even THINK about that, Cass. I know nothing of meter and form...and I mean nothing. I try to learn it...but it turns out I just don't give a flying fuck about it. Nothing I pick up stays. Just write your poems. If you want to write in form...then figure out which one and see how it's done and do it. Otherwise, just explore the subjects you want to explore and write your poetry. Don't worry about any measuring sticks. That's just bullshit. That's your internal editor trying to stop you before you start!

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
How unfair is it to measure yourself against others here? I mean, they are never going to be the you that you are, no matter how much they might try. Go be you. Turn off the reader and let the writer do her own thing.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Don't even THINK about that, Cass. I know nothing of meter and form...and I mean nothing. I try to learn it...but it turns out I just don't give a flying fuck about it. Nothing I pick up stays. Just write your poems. If you want to write in form...then figure out which one and see how it's done and do it. Otherwise, just explore the subjects you want to explore and write your poetry. Don't worry about any measuring sticks. That's just bullshit. That's your internal editor trying to stop you before you start!

I just can't get this image out of my head. I have been working on it over the last four hours. I have two different versions and I realized that i think it's just to blunt or brief. I also worry it's cliche and trite.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
How unfair is it to measure yourself against others here? I mean, they are never going to be the you that you are, no matter how much they might try. Go be you. Turn off the reader and let the writer do her own thing.

*nod* It's the worst thing...the worst of my bad habits of comparing my writing, especially my poetry to others. I feel like I'm stuck in high school because really, when I graduated that's when I stopped writing it. Well that and I was very religious for a time which was very difficult for these oh so very human emotions.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... if those subjects you mention make you uneasy, then why not begin on others for starts, like love and devotion. You've got a lot of experience with both I can tell ;-)

There's a supposition, I think, that poetry should lean towards the somber side. Much does, but there's also lots that sublimely illumine the upbeat.

Ken's 2 centaroos.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cassi, I don't know the different forms, etc. I have learned I naturally write modern minimalism. You will find what you write, but whatever it is, be true to you. You don't have to follow anyone's lead. What you have in your heart and in your mind is uniquely yours. Just write. Just let it flow from you.

I encourage you to put it out there in the crit forum and let us help you. I will not laugh, promise. I will be willing to read whatever you have down.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Post it, Cass. Maybe somebody can help you through the struggle.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
... if those subjects you mention make you uneasy, then why not begin on others for starts, like love and devotion. You've got a lot of experience with both I can tell ;-)

There's a supposition, I think, that poetry should lean towards the somber side. Much does, but there's also lots that sublimely illumine the upbeat.

Ken's 2 centaroos.
Thanks, Ken...yes, I do have a lot of experience in those two things but I also hide a lot about the other experiences for fear people will judge me. Think I'm a horrible person for my thoughts or even being able to fantasize about certain things.

Cassi, I don't know the different forms, etc. I have learned I naturally write modern minimalism. You will find what you write, but whatever it is, be true to you. You don't have to follow anyone's lead. What you have in your heart and in your mind is uniquely yours. Just write. Just let it flow from you.

I encourage you to put it out there in the crit forum and let us help you. I will not laugh, promise. I will be willing to read whatever you have down.
You made me laugh out loud. You are so sweet. Thank you. I hope to have this one up for review tonight but you never know. ;)

Thanks so much for the encouragement.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
[insert chicken clucking sounds]

lol. please. you saw the disaster i posted for critique this week. don't be afraid to stretch yourself and share yourself.

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
Cassy ... Just write. You can't be afraid. It's our job as poets to rip our guts out and say--it's just a flesh wound, don't worry about it.

There are no taboo subjects in poetry.

Mike

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Mike...I guess for me, I've shyed away from poetry in the recent past because for me, it's always been about me. In my stories, I can pretend at a distance. I've not written poetry before that was speculative or about someone else.

I'll give it a go ;)

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
Cass, take an emotion or a subject you want to write about it and make it not about you. Take an unnamed narrator and make those issues hers. I hope that makes sense.

:Hug2:

Poetry can be very hard to write sometimes because it goes so deep. For me, it's cathartic, but it used to be very difficult. I would write a poem or two and feel completely, emotionally drained.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Cass, take an emotion or a subject you want to write about it and make it not about you. Take an unnamed narrator and make those issues hers. I hope that makes sense.

:Hug2:

Poetry can be very hard to write sometimes because it goes so deep. For me, it's cathartic, but it used to be very difficult. I would write a poem or two and feel completely, emotionally drained.
I'm thinking, I'm thinking....

oh wait..I forgot what I was thinking...oh yes! you do make sense. :D

I don't feel drained when I write poetry, I feel that way every Sunday after we do the Flash Fiction Challenge. I'm wiped but then I'm on a high as well.

MissMandee

Registered
Reaction score
You can do it...

Push past boundaries I've always set in my life, so I can write openly and expressively about taboo subjects?

Or it it that I'm reaching beyond my own experience or ability to convey my thoughts?

The boundaries have been set by you which holds you back. That is the bad news. The great news is that you set them and therefore you can tear them down. Easier said than done, I know. If you are caring and cautious as you seem, than we know locked inside you are some amazing words and thoughts just waiting to be released. Compare yourself to no one. We are always our worst enemy and sometimes once we realize that, it is easier to fight back. Don't be scared to hold back on emotions and thoughts. We all have them :) And you never know when a brief moment of vulnerability and honesty put into words with shear bravery, can change someone elses life, in addition to your own.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
When you sit down to write, don't worry about who will see it. In the end, you can decide which poems you will share, but, geez! Write them first! Take a writing prompt and see where it brings you. Don't pre-plan. Go with the moment. You will know after you strike a vein of gold.