For $4.90 I should get a cookie and balloon, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

htrent

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.holleytrent.com
I'm sure I get to wear the dunce hat for the day for this, but a quick and dirty search didn't yield anything relevant.

What's the cheapest way to snail-mail a partial (the agent requires the partial with the query and synopsis)?

I had to mail a 50-page sample this morning, and the total envelope weighed a little over 13 oz. I was using the self-service machine at the post office, so it only offered me two choices: parcel post at $4.90 and one other choice that was $4.95. That might have been priority mail.

Wouldn't this fall under the media mail category? The machine didn't ask, and I suspect I would need to take the parcel to the counter to get it to ship that way. I'd rather lick mud than get in a p.o. line, so any way to avoid that would be great.

How do you send your stuff?

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
"Media Mail® service is a cost efficient way to mail books, sound recordings, recorded video tapes, printed music, and recorded computer-readable media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes). "

Not manuscripts.

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
I would mail it Priority, as it gets there in 2-3 days. Media mail isn't good because it can take weeks to get there, which is why its so slow.

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
"Media Mail® service is a cost efficient way to mail books, sound recordings, recorded video tapes, printed music, and recorded computer-readable media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes). "

Not manuscripts.

If you wanted to get around this, there is a loophole in the postal code that lets you mail a single sheet of sheet music, along with anything else, at the media rate. However, I think including a copy of the Star Spangled Banner might confuse editors....

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Now that is funny....about the music sheet....

Can see the agent now....lmaooooooooo

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
I don't know, If the Partial was for a Historic Novel set during the revolutionary war than that might just be the to hook the agent.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I know that times are tough, and that not everyone has the funds to do things perfectly, but if it were me, I wouldn't look for the cheapest way to send something to your agent. Doing so more often looks like you cut corners, or skimp, rather than that you're frugal and a wise spender.

Your manuscript is something of value, that you have pride in, and that you believe is the greatest novel/script/book of haiku ever. Treat it as such, and let the agent see you treat it as such.

Maybe it doesn't matter to the agent. Maybe it doesn't matter to you. But the universe sees how you treat your material, and if you treat it like it deserves to be sold, the universe will respond in kind.

Plus, all postage costs are tax-deductible, if you're into that kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.