PDA

View Full Version : Photo Click Chick

Ali B
07-03-2009, 04:02 AM
Hi,

I just started a blog about photography and would love any feedback you guys may have: Photo Click Chick (http://photoclickchick.blogspot.com/)
:e2photo:
#1 question: Is it too pink? lol

I've just started it and I'm thinking of ways to incorporate my love of photography and art into this blog while giving the reader usable information. Any ideas on that front would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, I'm willing to trade links with anyone with a photography blog or female how-to type site.

Thanks for your help!!!!

alleycat
07-03-2009, 04:10 AM
Well, it's certainly pink all right. ;-)

Just a personal opinion and nothing else: I think another color would be a little classier, but there's nothing really wrong with what you have. I guess the pink really shows up because you've got nothing on the sidebars; it's just one big, plain pink border on each side. Does that make sense? You could tone it down if you made the center section a little wider. Or maybe made add some sort of texture to the pink side borders. Just a thought.

Fokker Aeroplanbau
07-03-2009, 04:39 AM
I don't know what demographic you're aiming for but blogs that have especially bright colors are usually impossible to access at work. It's sort of obvious that you are not working on your spreadsheet when your computer screen is literally a circus of colors. ;)

8thSamurai
07-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Holy ad overload!

The blue links at the top not being lined up are kind of a turn off, too.

Who is your target audience?

Ali B
07-07-2009, 09:37 AM
My target audience is gen Y and Xer's, like myself.

colealpaugh
07-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi,

I just started a blog about photography and would love any feedback you guys may have: Photo Click Chick (http://photoclickchick.blogspot.com/)

#1 question: Is it too pink? lol

I've just started it and I'm thinking of ways to incorporate my love of photography and art into this blog while giving the reader usable information. Any ideas on that front would be greatly appreciated!

I'd go with a cleaner background, Alina. The pink detracts from each image. Here's a pretty clean photo blog, as an example:

http://www.photographersblog.net/

I'd also recommend making your thumbnails bigger, so they don't necessarily have to be clicked on -- and definitely shrink your referenced images to no larger than 600...nobody wants to scroll to see an entire image. Also, I'd post a few portfolio shots to grab attention and show the viewer that you are someone who can offer kick-ass advice.

Good luck!

BTW, I love the pic of your daughter before the black eye..heck, I'd have gone with that one to convey the editorial message.

Ali B
07-08-2009, 12:44 AM
Okay, I've been taking suggestions and edited my blog. It's cleaner and a lot less pink. :)

veinglory
07-08-2009, 12:46 AM
I like your content and have bookmarked the blog for later. The 'how to' posts are great. I liked the chick logo on first look, but I agree that you could go "classier". The blog theme is a generic one but okay, at least to start with. I think you could make the blog nicer with time. Like: make yourself a photo-based button for the top that shows or your skills, or a banner?

I would suggest putthing the 'about' section higher and I found Spott not to pay off at all :(. You might try cmf ads, or entrecard even?

razibahmed
07-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Alina,
Your content is great. I could not find any Feedburner or Email Subscription option. So, you should add them right away.

Ali B
07-11-2009, 05:50 AM
Great ideas! Thanks!

alleycat
07-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is not everyone will see your site the same way. For example, I use Firefox with scripts blocked (unless I specifically allow them), others will use EI and see the site slightly different. You'll always want to get others, who use a variety of browsers, to test your website.

Billingsgate
08-01-2009, 09:52 AM
I just looked. The information is really interesting. You should update more often. It can be a useful advice site for aspiring photographers. The bold, bright, yellow ads beneath each posting are like having a flash go off in your face after each paragraph. Not just because they're garish yellow, but because there are absolutely too many of them. Way WAY too distracting, and unnecessary. If you want people to click ads and generate Google ad revenue for you, then don't shove so many ads in their faces that they get sick of seeing them. A few ads strategically placed in a side column is more than enough.

veinglory
08-01-2009, 11:34 PM
I would agree that yellow ads are a bit startling. I would suggest giving them a plain white background.