Highlights for Children: jumbo merged thread of all things Highlights Magazine

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
I definitely want to get published in Highlights. I'm just not sure I'm ready yet.

Sarah_D

Highlights Question

I am about to submit a short biographical piece to Highlights for Children. It is about the life and accomplishments of a scientist, and is similar in format to the piece on Gifford Pinchot in the August 2005 issue.

Does anyone who is familiar with Highlights know whether this submission should be directed to the Associate Editor, who normally handles their biography submissions, or to the Science Editor ?

Thanks,

Sarah

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't submitted there yet. I don't feel my pieces are up to their standards - yet. Soon, I hope.

I would submit it to the biography person. They will send it elsewhere if they feel it fits another editor better.

Make sure you list all your resources. I know they're very diligent with fact-checking.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
This was just posted in the "Sharing Leads" forum a couple of weeks ago, so it's pretty up to date on who is looking for what. Good luck!

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14677

It looks like it would be the science editor:

From Andy Boyles, Science Editor

Our guidelines state that our word limit is 800, but articles that are even shorter (350-400 words) are especially welcome. We put a high value on articles that show science as a process, articles that follow a scientist or group of scientists as they try to solve one of nature's mysteries. We currently have what we need in the way of articles about: birds, reptiles and amphibians, insects (especially bees), and volcanoes.

Last edited:

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
If the article focuses more on the scientist, I'd send it to the biography editor. If it focuses more on the scientist's work, then it would be more appropriate for the science editor.

Barb

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Highlights for Children Fiction Contest

In case you don't know about this, Highlights is having a 2006 Fiction contest.

CATEGORY: Stories that explore the true spirit of holiday celebrations.

PRIZES: Three prizes of $1,000 each.

ENTRY DATES: All entries must be postmarked between January 1 and February 28, 2006.

CRITERIA: Stories may be any length up to 800 words. Stories for beginning readers should not exceed 500 words. Indicate the word count in the upper right-hand corner of the first page of your manuscript. No crime, violence, or derogatory humor.

Certainly worth a shot.

allen

DenimSoul

Shelf bound or bust!
Registered
Reaction score
Please note that this is a themed contest and this year's theme is a story that shows the spirit of the holiday.

Gina_Ritter

Into the fray with a giggle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginaritter.com
I'm not sure I know what to write for "The true spirit of holiday celebrations" is supposed to mean.

It's hard to remove the various religions and "the true meaning" schpeel from this.
Getting past that.. all holidays are so different.

So does that mean the basic, general thread of all holidays... like family? Overeating? Giving and receiving? Fun?

I'm lost.

I wrote up something zany about Easter, but have NO CLUE if I should even bother with sharpening it for this contest.

DenimSoul

Shelf bound or bust!
Registered
Reaction score
Gina Ritter,

If you've already gotten something done, why not hone it for the contest? No entry fee and who knows you may win $1000!

Gina_Ritter

Into the fray with a giggle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginaritter.com
That's my point though... I don't understand what they're looking for. It seems so broad. I don't know if a "zany" little Easter story is worth all the trouble to have it ready by the deadline if it's not what they're looking for.

I am not trying to be difficult, but what the heck do they mean anyway?

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of writers choosing some of the more mainstream secular holidays, while others are choosing more obscure holdays. Highlights loves cultural things, so that could be the ticket.

I think they purposely left it vague to see what people do. If they find a few good stories out of the whole thing, they'll be happy.

Be creative. Do what you want to do. If they don't take it, someone else may.

(I am not sharing my idea. I think it's unique and don't want to share it. I'm probably wrong and 5 million other writers are doing the same thing.)

DenimSoul

Shelf bound or bust!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Me again. ((SMILE)) Who knows? When I read the theme I immediately thought of Christmas and I've had an idea banging around in my head for some time with this theme before the contest theme was even mentioned but I don't know if I'll do it or not. I'm just thinking if you already have something down on paper then you are way ahead of the pack.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
My guess, too, was a "warm and fuzzy Christmas."

Then again, if you choose a different holiday you may put yourself ahead of the thousands of other Christmas-themed stories they're going to receive.

In a way, this is almost like the Nano contest. If you write a story and it doesn't win in the Highlights contest, you'll have a story you can develop into a picture book or something else.

allen

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
Info on Highlights

If you've never read the e-mag Kid Magazine Writers check it out! http://www.kidmagwriters.com/magzines/h_p.htm

There are articles about Highlights, including an interview with editors. Check out insider report, that has specific info about Highlights annual contest. The date on the page is 8/2004, so some of the info might be dated, but maybe not.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I've got a kids ms about Yule that I've been shopping around, and it might actually be a good fit for this contest. I'll trim off a couple of hundred words and submit it.

Simran

Highlights magazine opportunity/scholarship

Hi Everyone,
I just received the following from my Writers in India group http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/writingindia/

Lotus Learning India, in collaboration with the Highlights magazine, USA, will be sponsoring a writer or illustrator to the 2006 Highlights Workshop at Chautauqua in upstate New York.

To apply for this scholarship, you need to have demonstrated commitment to the field of writing for children, in times of time and effort. The ideal candidate should have talent, strong English writing and speaking skills, and some experience in both 'life' and writing.

This is a wonderful opportunity for those who are interested in children's literature and would like to learn more about it. Please e-mail me if you would like to apply so that I could send you the downloadable application form.

Please do not e-mail me details about yourself - put these down in the form and mail to the concerned person! If you belong to any other writing lists that you think might have writers interested in this opportunity, feel free to post this there as well, but do let me know where it has been posted.

Best of luck to you all!!
Santhini Govindan
[email protected]